Farcages

2.5 Commodore Cards

Updated: now contains Commodore Cards for newly revised Minor Faction ORBATs.

You can find the downloads at the bottom of this post.

With the changes to Dystopian Wars 2.5, Commodores have become much more interesting. I love that you can randomly receive traits, I love how you can opt to replace traits and I love how the rolled effects can dramatically effect the battle.

Writing down Commodore Traits every single match got old pretty fast though. Considering how we had objective cards and TAC cards, it made sense to me to make cards for Commodore Traits as well. So without further ado, allow me to present the 2.5 Commodore Cards.

2017-07-20%2019.46.33.jpg2017-07-20%2019.47.45.jpg

For those interested: the cards are made using Crobi's RPG Card generator (https://crobi.github.io/rpg-cards/). I've uploaded the JSON with the source of the cards at https://github.com/thomasverkooijen/Commodore-Cards. If you have anything you'd like to add or correct, feel free to make a pull request or post in this thread!

Usage

The cards are made to be as self-explanatory as possible, but I like rambling so here are some instructions.

At the top of the card is the title as found in the relevant Trait Table. For National Traits these are the names that can be found in the relevant ORBAT. In cursive below the title is when the ability can be used, which can be one of the following: persistent, once per game turn or once per turn. If a Major Faction can elect to select this Trait instead of rolling on the relevant Trait Table, this is acknowledged in the text on the card.

The meat of the Commodore Card is the Trait text on the middle of the page. This contains the exact text as listed in the relevant Trait Table or ORBAT, though I reserve some self-loathing and gnashing and wailing of teeth for the inevitable spelling error or attempt to sabotage my opponents' factions.

Below the Trait text is the type of Trait, which can be either Command, Aggressive, Defensive or National. If it is listed on a Trait table, the relevant dice number is listed underneath for those who prefer to roll a D6. If you are so inclined, one could elect to randomly draw cards instead of course. Naturally, this would be the more civilized way of settling matters amongst honourable opponents. I'd recommend sleeving the cards, if not for durability then for comfort.

Contents

The PDF contains the following 36 cards:

Command Trait Table

1. Reputation For Failure
  2. Perfect Plotting
  3. Spy Master
  4. Coordinated Attack
  5. Not One Step Back
  6. With Me!

Aggressive Trait Table

1. Attack With The Sun At Their Backs!
  2. Close Range Precision
  3. Send In My Best
  4. Strike Hard and Fast!
  5. Dead-Eye Gunnery
  6. Weapons Free!

Defensive Trait Table

1. Requisitioned for my Personal Transport
  2. Perfect Reconnaissance
  3. Pass the Tools
  4. Local Air Support
  5. Jury Rigger
  6. Battle Drilled Ack Ack

National Traits

• Major Factions
    • Covenant of Antarctica: Masters of Technology
    • Empire of the Blazing Sun: Shadow Tactics
    • Federated States of America: Take Aiem
    • Kingdom of Britannia: For Queen and Country!
    • Prussian Empire: Lightning Assault
    • Republique of France: Perfectly Planned Manoeuvres
    • Russian Coalition: Sturginium Overload
  • Minor Factions
    • Black Wolf Mercenaries: One Careful Owner
    • Chinese Federation: Wrath of the Red Dragon
    • East India Merchant Company: The Best Money Can Buy
    • Indian Raj: All Hands Forward!
    • Kingdom of Denmark: Combat Turn
    • League of Italian States: Power to the Shields!
    • Ottoman Separatists: Unnamed (named it Advanced Alchemical Defenses on the card)
    • Ottoman Traditionalists: Advanced Alchemical Munitions
    • Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth: With Fire and Sword
    • Republic of Egypt: Wrath of the Gods Eye
    • Royal & Free Australians: Forced Compliance
    •  

Downloads

A4

A4 format, single sided.

http://thomasverkooijen.nl/files/CommodoreCards_A4_Frontsideonly.pdf

A4 format, double sided.

http://thomasverkooijen.nl/files/CommodoreCards_A4_Doublesided.pdf

US Letter

US Letter format, single sided.

http://thomasverkooijen.nl/files/CommodoreCards_USLetter_Frontsideonly.pdf

US Letter format, double sided.

http://thomasverkooijen.nl/files/CommodoreCards_USLetter_Doublesided.pdf

All cards now in one convenient package

http://thomasverkooijen.nl/files/Commodore_Cards.zip

Where is the blog? Meanwhile, Farcages what is a JSON? A code script?

My printer will recognize A4, but the paper is not available that I can find (in the U.S.). If I size to fit at printing will it work?

I worry the double-sided printing will not work.

I will likely try this possibly without the RPG card online software. 

I will check some business supply stores and such for A4. I some in the past from them I lived in the U.K. but long gone now.

US Letter format, single sided.

http://thomasverkooijen.nl/files/CommodoreCards_USLetter_Frontsideonly.pdf

US Letter format, double sided.

http://thomasverkooijen.nl/files/CommodoreCards_USLetter_Doublesided.pdf

Will update first post with new files as well. These have minor color as well, let me know if you prefer black & white.

Where is the blog? Meanwhile, Farcages what is a JSON? A code script?

My printer will recognize A4, but the paper is not available that I can find (in the U.S.). If I size to fit at printing will it work?

I worry the double-sided printing will not work.

I will likely try this possibly without the RPG card online software. 

I will check some business supply stores and such for A4. I some in the past from them I lived in the U.K. but long gone now.

A JSON is a way to write information in a human-readable format. As an example, the JSON for the Reputation for Failure card looks like this:

{
    "count": 1,
    "color": "SlateGray",
    "title": "Reputation for Failure",
    "icon": "expand",
    "icon_back": "",
    "contents": [
      "subtitle | Persistent",
      "fill | 2",
      "text | This person does not inspire confidence in those around them. The Commodore reduces their Commodore Command Radius by half!",
      "fill | 2",
      "section | Command Trait |",
      "text | <span style='font-size: 1.5em; font-weight: bold'>1</span>",
      ""
    ],
    "tags": [
      "command",
      "persistent"
    ]
  }

For convenience and because I know there's a fair few developers out there playing Dystopian Wars I've put it up on Github so that even if I'm away for a bit others ccan easily fork their own version.

Set printed. UK settings came off the printer at a good size. I would say one thing though: when printing the card backs the lovely gradient shows up more blocky. I'll post pictures etc on the blog once I'm done, but I'm aware this may either be where I was printing from my iPad, or my printer in general. I also printed b&w, which could've changed the way they look. Either way, I'm still happy and I'll set to curptting and laminating them in a mo

Edited by FSAHoops
Fat fingers adding words on my iPad!

That's cool, like I said, it's probably just my printer. So the US letter sized cards, are they smaller? Or credit card sized by any chance? The A4 sized ones are just a little too wide for the card laminating pouches I have!

56 minutes ago, FSAHoops said:

That's cool, like I said, it's probably just my printer. So the US letter sized cards, are they smaller? Or credit card sized by any chance? The A4 sized ones are just a little too wide for the card laminating pouches I have!

There's two sizes available for the cards: 2.5" x 3.5" which is roughly poker card size, and the size I've been using so far, and then there's 2.25" x 3.5" which is roughly bridge card size. I could always rig up another bunch of exports with card sizes at 2.25"x3.5".

On 1-8-2017 at 9:23 PM, FSAHoops said:

Awesome, thanks for the shout out!

8 hours ago, Safr said:

very nice work, but I think, that French  Perfectly Planned Manoeuvres is written wrong. 

Happy to correct mistakes! What would you reckon the proper spelling would be? Manoeuvers?

Had my first game with the commodore cards over the weekend and worked out great.  Even used the old, old DW event Cards just to give the cards a bit of thickness in the card sleeves.  I wonder if there are any steampunkish card sleeves out there or if Spartan may make some, sometime into the future?