draco84oz

What is it you want to see?

Hi All,

I've been reading through a whole bunch of stuff and I've decided, with your help if I may, to try something new on the Forum, and then eventually into the wider audience. I've not figured out all the logistics of how I will operate it yet, but I would like to create a Steering Committee (SC) for games like DW, FA, Legions and PF. My idea is that this is not a rules creation group - tried that before - but it is a discussion group which exists on the forum and talks through ideas with myself and folk like DW Spartan Josh and Spartan Mike. We can discuss rules concepts, as that is important, but we would look at how we address product releases, how we package things, community support and other stuff.

The SC would then be able to feedback to the broader community of gamers. My head is saying that if I can't keep my finger on the pulse of what customers want for games the SC can help me in making more improved choices. Like I say, not figured all of it out, and I have no idea yet how to pull the committee together for each game, but I am curious to see what you think of the idea.

Cheers,
Neil

19 minutes ago, Spartan Neil said:

Hi All,

I've been reading through a whole bunch of stuff and I've decided, with your help if I may, to try something new on the Forum, and then eventually into the wider audience. I've not figured out all the logistics of how I will operate it yet, but I would like to create a Steering Committee (SC) for games like DW, FA, Legions and PF. My idea is that this is not a rules creation group - tried that before - but it is a discussion group which exists on the forum and talks through ideas with myself and folk like DW Spartan Josh and Spartan Mike. We can discuss rules concepts, as that is important, but we would look at how we address product releases, how we package things, community support and other stuff.

The SC would then be able to feedback to the broader community of gamers. My head is saying that if I can't keep my finger on the pulse of what customers want for games the SC can help me in making more improved choices. Like I say, not figured all of it out, and I have no idea yet how to pull the committee together for each game, but I am curious to see what you think of the idea.

Cheers,
Neil

It certainly sounds like a good idea, but I would stress caution about using the forums - it is generally assumed that only about 10% of the overall community utilize the official forums for the associated pastime, and of those that do, there is a disproportionate number of those who have either negative feelings, an axe to grind, or are just extroverted. It could certainly be a source of ideas and direction, but don't discount your own information and calculations and overall plan for the product - we can only see the end results, you know all the nuts and bolts about how things work.

Also, that brainstorming thing wasn't really the point of this thread. It was an attempt to change the negativity that was flowing into something a bit more constructive, thus ending the echo chamber effect. And I think it worked...

Neil honestly I think Spartan Games already has a decent handle on what players want in terms of being able to produces great looking miniatures. Each time you launch a miniatures game you get a lot of compliments and a lot of fans willing to buy into the game series. 

What stifles it is communication and updates. 

From what you've said here and also from the general actions of Spartan Games it gives an impression that there's no long-term plan for  the games themselves. That its kind of jumping "thing to thing" in the moment or only looking a few weeks/months down the line. I know this isn't the case, but its the impression one gets; especially when its coupled to the way that SG tends to focus on one game at a time; putting a huge amount of energy into it only to have to drop it to focus on the next game. A method that ends up leaving some games alone for too long. This isn't conductive to a good practice and even bigger companies like Games Workshop have suffered in the past because of that (nearly losing fantasy - several 40K armies in the past missing whole rules editions with regard to a new updated codex etc...).

I think what gamers want from Spartan more than new models/rules/games/boardgames is a solid roadplan. We don't have to see the roadplan; but we need a feeling that each game has a road-map and its sticking to its release dates. Dates that we are given and that are met - and if they are to be missed informed in advance. 

I think when each of the games currently supported is back on track at the same time - when things are running smooth - THEN is the time that you might find windows in the timeframe to be able to bring in user feedback more directly. Because most gamers are going to ask for different things - for new games/models/rules/terrain/events/articles et c.... So you've got to have your own handle and focus set out in stone first then open up to the desires from the membership.

I also think that with a strong roadmap of your own it will be a lot easier to fit gamer desires into things as instead of defining your roadmap it will be adjusting pace or focus only a little here and there. we know new models/rules/etc... are going to come from you; its your business that turns over the income that you make. 

There's an other thing that might be trivial, but probably is worth mentioning.

There are things that your customers want, and there are things that they are willing to pay for. Of course there's a sizable overlap, but it's not a complete one.

Additionally if said costumers get (some of the) the things they are not willing to pay for as free stuff, they might end up spending more money than they would have otherwise. Again, I know I'm probably only stating the obvious, and this is among the first lessons in business, but probably can spark some conversation about the exact contents of these categories in the (future) Steering Committee.

I think one of the main thing missing in order to support the games, and participate to the expansion of FA & PF universe is fluff.

Art pictures, nations history, conflict evolutions could be addressed regularly (and perhaps make a printed compilation per year) including special scenarios and / or introducing alternative gameplay (infantery combat system using the PF model on a small 10'x10' ground table; the aerial combat boardgame could have been proposed with this optic, using PF aerial models ; updating of the taskforce system dedicated to apocalyptic battles playable in less than 3 hours; etc ...).

So we don't only need shiny new models, but also backgrounds and Art (the blog drawing representing the terran cruiser when taskforce was launch was interesting, the same for the spacial station -don't remember the name-, and kickstarter launching picture ... we need more of those kind!).

Hope @Spartan Neil will be able to propose something like that. Comme on guy, we are counting on you ... you're our last hope ! ;)

1 minute ago, Spartan Neil said:

Hi Icarius,

I agree........ :)

Neil

:wub:

And if background is available in french, it will be perfect! (french guys you know ... not english spoken friendly :unsure:)

6 minutes ago, Spartan Neil said:

OK,

You wanna translate it for me? :)

Neil

Unfortunately, not sure you will like the result :P

But it should be possible for SG while you proposed translated version of the DW rulebook during the Kickstarter ;) (or am I wrong? if yes my understanding is worst than I thought, so imagine how my translation could be!^_^)

4 minutes ago, Spartan Neil said:

We have a cool new solution for getting our translations to you

Google translate FTW! ;)

How about a fair trade - Spartan games translated into French in exchange you lot in France translate all those comics/graphic novels of yours into English 

7 minutes ago, Overread said:

How about a fair trade - Spartan games translated into French in exchange you lot in France translate all those comics/graphic novels of yours into English 

We have such things?!:o 

I've missed something, please give me details (no ironie inside! I'm really interested) :D

4 hours ago, Spartan Neil said:

Hi All,

Cheers,
Neil

I like the idea- it is basically a focus group for each setting.  This could go a long way towards helping heal some of the bad blood.  But as others have said, the forums are a small portion of the playerbase, and there are those that want to see SG fail, the games burn etc.  So you'd need to be very careful with who is on the committee- you want varying opinions but no one with an agenda beyond a favorite faction.  You'd also have to be very clear to the members that they'll likely be painting huge targets on their backs from the trolls.

Overall I think the idea may be just what the systems need.

Just a thought on the subject of Fluff as that has been raised.

Fluff is good and helps draw players into a game and series. It builds a narrative that players like to get involved with. This I think is more the case when you don't have 32/5/whatever scale models or a strong historical/modern times basis. I think that one failing for Uncharted Seas was the lack of sufficient fluff and artwork depicting the battles and characters of that world. Without them I think scenes such as the magical boltthrowers of the Dragons were lost on players. They were just bolt-throwers. 

That said I think that solid rules - solid models - proper support and such are all important and come before the fluff. Fluff is important; it does help; it does help sell a game and franchise. Look at Warmachine and GW and both have extensive book series following their games. Privateer Press also goes one step further and twins their ongoing story into their game and releases. That said alongside all that they've got all the rest functioning; they've got regular releases and rules addendums and support. Get that right then bring in the fluff to bolster it. 

3 minutes ago, Overread said:

That said I think that solid rules - solid models - proper support and such are all important and come before the fluff. Fluff is important; it does help; it does help sell a game and franchise. Look at Warmachine and GW and both have extensive book series following their games. Privateer Press also goes one step further and twins their ongoing story into their game and releases. That said alongside all that they've got all the rest functioning; they've got regular releases and rules addendums and support. Get that right then bring in the fluff to bolster it. 

I do not attempt to have pages and pages of pure fluff, BUT, as you said, it helps players to figure out how the Firestorm universe works, and make the game more immersive. And sometimes a goode artwork is giving more informations than words.

However, you can have slight touch of backgrounds (ambiance writings and artworks) that accompagny a campaign, which could have repercussions on the universe (frontiers moving, modifications with alliances, etc ...). And a campaign could introduce new models or buildings.

All in all, you will be able to build something huge with time, and have some kind of emulation with players/customers.

my 2 cents