Do main battle tanks exist in Pf?

heavy tank yes

medium tank yes

tank hunter yes

ss well as APC (though not IFV) and recon vehicles

how do one go about building a MBT force?

The term "Main Battle Tank" was basically sounded out during WWII, as an evolution of armoured tactics of the time. Won't go into full details here, but basically, the idea of a "Universal Tank" took over from multitude of tank designations as the war wound up, and grew during the Cold War period.

PF doesn't seem to use the same idea, apparently having gone back the multiple designation ideas of the late 30's - but the closest you had to an MBT in WWII was a Medium Tank. So, if you want an MBT force, I'd say max out your mediums in the core helix.

I will admit, I personally prefer to have a good strong core to my force, so only having two squads of mediums to me seems a little light on. But then I remember that this is more of a spearhead force - a Kampfegruppe - which has a lot of attachments designed to fulfill its purpose.

Thanks

i am familiar with the history of MBT arising at the end of ww2. Interesting that SG decided to base things more on the beginning of ww2 than moder era.

i get and agree with the core being a command type tank, an armor and a mechanized infantry, as well as the various helixes.  But there should be a helix for armor opposed by a helix for mechanized infantry.