Sign in to follow this  
Operator

Advice for a new player

Hey everyone,

so I'm just starting out on my Firestorm Planetfall journey - been craving a sci-fi game at this scale for a while, and while I enjoyed the rules of Dropzone commander, I really couldn't get on with the look of the miniatures.

Would anyone on here be kind enough to sum up the state of the game right now, past Spartans normal slightly neglectful position? (I started out on HFB and so I've read all about Spartans rep for flitting between projects while ignoring others). It seems like this game is, was, should be getting an update? Is this just rules or miniatures too? Obviously I won't be stupid enough to ask for an eta (it is Spartan after all) but have timeframes been suggested? 

Also, I picked up a Dindrenzi heavy armour helix the other day and was surprised to find no rules in the box (coming from HFB which get stat cards for each unit). Does this game not have any printed stats for races other than the ones in the core rule book?

Finally I keep seeing a Dindrenzi command barge of some kind in the rule book - but I can't find it in any helix, what's the story there? 

Thanks for for all the help everyone - hope you don't think I'm lazy asking these q's. I have looked for the info myself, it's just surprisingly easy to read a few threads and get 4 different answers to all of them. 

Cheers, 

Op

Good questions Op.

It is true that Spartan has been rather silent over the past 4-6 weeks. Before the radio silence it had been indicated that the Planetfall 2.0 rules would be released August/September. There is also supposed to be new helixes for release after the rulebook. The new helixes will include core helixes for the current alliance races, (Hawker, RSN, Veydreth, Ba'Kash, Terquai, & Works Raptor). The alpha/beta statistics had mention of some fortified command helixes but there has been little more information beyond that for the core races. 

I have attached a link to the current designer feedback thread. Again this has been silent for the past few weeks but there is a render of the Hawker helix buried in there along with a 2.0 rules synopsis and 2.0 alpha/beta statistics. 

Current 1.0 race statistics are available on Spartan's website: http://www.spartangames.co.uk/resources/downloads

Welcome aboard Operator. I have thoroughly enjoyed the planetfall ruleset and hopefully soon we will have some new models to enjoy as well.

For the Dindrezi command barge, it's likely to be the new alternate Ground Command that's in the test rules.  There were quite a few photos in the book of models that were designed at the time but never released for whatever reason.  I suspect this was one of them, and they'll utilize it now to fill in a gap as they have with some of the others that were similarly presented but had delayed releases.

if........and ..........when the dust settles pf looks to be the great game it can be...........however there are many competiters that are spot on and vieing for attention. hope spartan doesnt wait too long or it might not be what it could be.;)

I don't think the new edition will be released quite that soon, but I've been wrong before. I'm guessing end of the year or early next. I think Planetfall will get one of those slots and Armada the other, but I don't know which is dropping first.

But I wouldn't worry about the current state of the game. The problems with it are minor (don't put forest down on your game board, and you'll be fine), as are the balance issues. Each race might have a unit or two that nobody likes, but nothing is crazy over- or under- powered. The rules are clear, play is fast and bloody with no fiddly movement, and the models, as you mentioned, are beautiful. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do in the new revision to make a good game even better. 

My advice: just wait and see if Spartan just let Planetfall dead or if they do something to revive it... The game is dead for about two years (no minis, no news, no rules, nothing), how could we possibly encourage you to buy things for PF? Fly, you fool! :D

Spartan guys promised tons of new things for June but as always, nothing is coming and these same Spartan guys are akwardly silent for weeks (months?).

Hi everyone, 

Thanks for all the information, I appreciate the time to answer my questions! 

I've since picked up a few more things for my growing Dindrenzi army and a 2 player box to see what the story is there. So far seems like a really fun game, even though I know I'll be house ruling one or two little things from the outset. 

I'm not at all surprised there are plenty of people on here more than a little worried about Spartans communications, or that they missed deadlines with info releases. I think it is something that Spartan is working on and from what I can tell, they seem to be getting better at it. 

In the future I really hope Spartan gain some structure and organisation to their releases and communication. I can't even begin to imagine the life it would breath into each of their games if they did a consistent weekly update which talked, no matter how briefly, about every system (even if it is just to say: still working on things, delayed by 1 month). It could be as rough and ready as humanly possible but that consistent trickle of info could be gold. 

Anyway, got my fingers crossed for the new rule set and especially for some new more awesome mins, 

Thanks again for the info guys, 

Op