slimeball

Commodore traits; to roll or pick

I am in 2 minds about the new Commodore traits, firstly I dislike nationals flavour abilities being put into a general table, but secondly the idea of building a Commodore with personal abilities like a special character is very cool.

so what do people thing they will do? there is the option to pick tables and roll, or just select traits as you like. both with the caveat that no more than 2 can come from a single table.

I am strongly leaning toward picking, I can see the options for power gaming, but as everyone has the same access to the same tables, and is still limited to no more than 2 from any single table there is some level of balance. it also makes sense that, for example, if you came along with loads of ships built for boarding, the Commodore is likely to have been picked by command due to his better boarding traits.

on the flip side, random traits means you could have a cool variety of Commodores as everyone is subject to the whims of the dice gods. But what is one player rolls exactly what they want and the other gets stuck with duff rolls. that '1' on the aggressive table (all friendly RB4 shooting at -1 to hit for first 2 turns) could cripple a long range fleet like the FSA or EIMC on a single dice roll.

anyway, interested to hear which way the community is leaning?

Hmm, maybe a nice variant is to assign a point value to each trait and then you have an amount of points depending on game size to build a Commodore. Then for example you can take 6 cheap traits or 3 expensive traits or a mix.

My friends and I play for fun and not competive so we always roll.  It is random which makes it harder but fun.  I had a commodore that was known for failure and it was miserable.  If playing competitive or a campaign then I would recomend choosing.  

I actually love the idea for Commodores with some personality and uniqueness.

My idea is to roll for these the first time a commodore enters battle and he retains these skills throughout, with perhaps a method of gaining more as the campaign matures. 

Bear in mind that the great leaders of the real world all had flaws, some of them crippling.

I do think that there are not enough options, maybe a couple more bad, a few neutral and more good.

I have an expansion for this on my list of things to do, being the king of D20 systems I hope to find enough interesting options to fill up two or three 20 point table2.

The flip side of any rolls for Commodore Traits is that all core nations have an additional trait in there ORBAT that you can swap in for a trait that you rolled for.

For example the CoA can replace any Command Trait generated for the 'Masters of Technology' Trait.

I would also assume that this Factional Traits may also be seen in the Alliance ORBATS when released. Spartan's will confirm or correct me if i am wrong.

the best thing to do is pray to the dice gods more often.  I try but for some reason they are still not answering me :(.

For me it would depend on my mood as both picking traits and rolling them have advantages and disadvantages.  I would like to see rules for a campaign where your commodore starts at the most basic level and as the narrative advances they gain new traits as they gain experience.  You could mix it up with additional faction traits and other abilities to represent the tactics your commodore gained through the campaign.

6 hours ago, Shadowcatdecoy said:

For me it would depend on my mood as both picking traits and rolling them have advantages and disadvantages.  I would like to see rules for a campaign where your commodore starts at the most basic level and as the narrative advances they gain new traits as they gain experience.  You could mix it up with additional faction traits and other abilities to represent the tactics your commodore gained through the campaign.

I like that. The idea I had for a campaign was that you rolled however many it takes to feature every skill and then as Commodores die in battle, your pool of available leaders shrinks. Whoever has the last one standing wins.

12 minutes ago, Elessar said:

I like that. The idea I had for a campaign was that you rolled however many it takes to feature every skill and then as Commodores die in battle, your pool of available leaders shrinks. Whoever has the last one standing wins.

My campaign started with a few randomly skilled commodores, we used a different system before Flashpoint see below.

Those commodores were then randomly assigned to different fleets,  as it happened the best Russian Naval commodore was consigned to Vladivostok, apparently for angering the Czar.

If a new fleet was created or an old commodore died we would give the new guy a random combat skill which he could improve upon in battle.

What I found was that players will retreat before endangering their commodores  especially the good ones. The not so good ones however, tended to be very brave....  It was this concept of retreating from a poor tactical position that inspired the whole campaign.  As it happens, you can withdraw to preserve your force and stay in the war.

To fully explain my commodore system would take to long, as it plays into how units move on the world map, recon/screening, replenishment and other concepts the base game doesn't use.  But, I can explain the parts we do have in common with the regular game that make our commodores very interesting. 

Initiative, and card use: commodores have scores in both. Initiative is simply the bonus on each initiative roll made by that commodore. Card rank determines the number of cards the player gets in their hand when using that commodore.

This would be a good time to point out that we removed card canceling by other cards a long time ago.  It certainly makes the cards have meaning again. Also, they don't count towards victory points, since that would penalize a better commodore and we are objectives based anyway.  Points are sometimes used to determine a tactical 'winner' if one must be determined by the situation, but the cards do not factor in to that.

Overall a fun system, but not for the faint-hearted who must have a fair game everytime.  We have a mantra for this: 'Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail'

Or slightly less popular: "Fair is where you go to eat cotton candy and step in elephant (dung)."