Maccabeus

First Game of 2.5 - Prussian Vs FSA, 1k, Shield of Iron

Played my first game of 2.5 today.  Apologies for the photo size.

1k Prussians Vs FSA in Shield of Iron.  The scenery was rolled hence why it's quite dense, but this makes for a fun board.

Prussian list was:

Large:

Kaiser Karl, Elite Crew, Commodore

Attached Watcher

Gustav (represented by a Rhine)

Medium:

2x Havel

1x Dive Bomber Ace

Blitz Squadron:

1x Pflicht 80

3x Jaeger 75

Adler (Adv Deploy)

Small:

4x Stolz (Adv Deploy)

FSA list was (from memory):

Providence with Commodore (represented by an Independence)

Sarratoga

Annapolis

B-72

3x Guilfords with attached Calico (Calico represented by a Georgetown)

Picket Squadron

Animas (represented by some Brit subs)

Commodore ability gave an extra LAS

The game was bloody but slow - there was some lost time for rule checking but the majority went to fighter spam from re-build actions.  The game lasted 3 turns but took 3.5 hours on account of all the extra activations.

The Gustav and Providence are terrifying to be on the receiving end of and for me the Gustav is almost an auto-include.  The Providence spent its' time battering the Gustav while the Gustav bullied the picket squadron and finished the Providence after the Stolz had virtually ripped it in half.  The Gustav was finally sunk by the Annapolis.  Redoubtable on the main guns on both these monsters means they're really not worried about damage taken.

The Calico was caught and obliterated early in turn 2, by the Kaiser Karl, along with its' accompanying Guilfords after they put on a display of just how many dice they generate at RB3!

The Animas were underwhelming, although that may be due to them being forced to remain submerged due the sheer volume of ships in close proximity.

Finally the Stolz were extra-ordinary.  I've always found them to be good, solid and reliable ships with massive firepower and my opponents have always, quite rightly, feared them.  The new revision (per Mike's notes) make them insanely good.  With the increased DR, Rugged and Small Target, they shook-off all incoming fire (including a volley from the Annapolis).  Turn 1, they had a pop at the Annapolis but I fluffed the dice roll.  Turn 2 they almost one-shotted the Providence with a double crit (Hard Pounding and half AD), and then boarded and finished-off the remains of the Picket Squadron.  Turn 3 they critted the Annapolis.  With the extra move, lining the fixed-fore up could not be simpler (not that it was a challenge previously).  Stolz are also an auto-include now.

That covers the new units and those significantly altered.  Now for the other changes/typos:

The Pflicht really suffered from the loss of rugged construction, although losing Capital did help on occasions.  The loss of 3 of its' HPs would have been negated by rugged.

Edit: removed the SAS section as it has been resolved elsewhere on the forum - thankfully, we misinterpreted the re-build rule.  Easy fix for the next game.

SAS: what can I say really, they broke the game!  The re-build really needs looking at or clarifying.  There were 4 of us playing 2 games with an independent adjudicator.  Our interpretation of the re-build is literal from the rule book P189:

Sometimes SAS will be completely eliminated by the enemy either through heroic Dog ghts or sheer volumes of AA! In order to execute a Re-Build Carrier Action, a Carrier Model must spend 3 Carrier Points to Re-Build a lost SAS.

The Carrier Model may then immediately launch the new SAS equal to the permitted Squadron size stated in the Carrier’s MAR. This new SAS can only be Re-Built from SAW casualties taken from a player’s Scrapyard. The newly created SAS must be deployed within 4” of the Carrier Model which created it. 

As soon as there's enough dead SAS, no matter the source, on your carriers activation, for 3 carrier points, it can re-build a squadron based on its' launch rating (in the case of my Havels, thats 1x4).  If the casualties come from multiple squadrons this means you can very quickly end up with more SAS squadrons than you started with!   By turn 3, I had an additional 3 squadrons in play, all of which launch unactivated.  From turn 2, the Saratoga was re-building 3 squadrons every activation due to the rate I was killing SAS.

This bogged the game down to an absolutely stupid degree.  The picture below shows most of the squadrons on the board (I had 2 others off camera and I believe there were a couple of FSA squadrons also off camera).  In the scrapyard, I had 3 more SAS wings (just waiting a 4th to re-build) and the FSA had 15, meaning the Saratoga could re-build another 3 squadrons the next turn!

Photos have moved to here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/dystopian.wars.and.legions/permalink/1367479306672251/

Edited by Maccabeus
Removed SAS section as resolved as misinterpretation. Also clarified proxy models. Photo hosting change

3 hours ago, Drastab said:

That's one sharp looking set up, love the whole thing, especially the real-looking rocks and the realistic looking water surface.
Good job on the destroyer POV shots.

Where did you get that table top?

2 hours ago, McKinstry said:

Is that a game mat or a specially constructed table top? It looks superb.

Thank you.

It's a mat.  In respect of this being Spartan's forum, I won't link, however, if you search Amazon for "Ocean Mat" then you'll find it.  It's not cheap but is very worth the cost.

36 minutes ago, Maccabeus said:

Thank you.

It's a mat.  In respect of this being Spartan's forum, I won't link, however, if you search Amazon for "Ocean Mat" then you'll find it.  It's not cheap but is very worth the cost.

Thanks for the tip, the search was a no go, but I will keep looking.

I don't want anyone getting in trouble for referencing non-spartan stuff.  Though I would think since it's a non - competing item they might not object.

Maybe if one of them reads this we might get a ruling on it.

12 minutes ago, Drastab said:

Thanks for the tip, the search was a no go, but I will keep looking.

I don't want anyone getting in trouble for referencing non-spartan stuff.  Though I would think since it's a non - competing item they might not object.

Maybe if one of them reads this we might get a ruling on it.

I've PM'd you some info.

Just realised I forgot to include the result in the report!

Prussians won by achieving the 70% - spent half of turn 3 trying to kill the B-72 (with 1 HP remaining) to get the final 5 points I needed!  Kept missing all the CC against the Animi that were shadowing the Havels.  FSA were a couple of hundred VPs behind.

17 minutes ago, Lord Nobody said:

That's a lot of terrain. I hope none of your captains are Italian cruse liner captains? ;)

I was looking to take a Titan for a sight-seeing tour...

Once you've run an undamaged Eider aground and taken the triple crit from 32 attack dice once, you tend not to do it again! :wacko:

53 minutes ago, Lord Nobody said:

That's a lot of terrain. I hope none of your captains are Italian cruse liner captains? ;)

You think thats a lot of terrain? That's about as much as my games have as standard (one in every 2ft of the board with maybe a few added pieces on top) 

How much do you play with?