Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Merlin

New Prussian Empire

Hi,

Never really thought about playing DL until recently when I had a look at the rulebook. Always loved the models, but the v1 rules really put me off. Activation cards being my main annoyance with the game (the single worst mechanic Spartan tried to implement)

But reading the current rulebook, the game is basically a modified version of DW. And that got me interested. Although my interest will mean very little as I can't get anyone else interested in the game. 

At the very least it'll be a welcome difference in terms of painting. I haven't painted a single 28mm-ish scale model in over 5 years (essentially when 40k 6th ed dropped) And it was really refreshing.

So I decided to share my first painted squad. Just a normal Grenadier Squad.

MqFI8S.jpg

I also have 1 command squad, 2 Sturmwagen, 1 squad of Teutonic Knights, and the Support Artillery. All build and undercoated. They just need painted now.

Like I said above, I don't believe I'll get anybody else in my playing group to actually play the game. I can hope, but don't expect much success there. If worst comes to work, if they do want to give the game a go they can use my Imperial Guard models as Proxies until they decide to get their own stuff.....if they want to get their own stuff.

But I like the models and good models deserve a good paint job. I also have two Kettenkarre and a Walze coming to round out the army. Ill probably need more infantry in the future, but for now im happy with what Ive got.

Kudos for the determination! It's sort of how it looks in my gaming neighbourhood. My gaming buddy who has started Britannia army, dropped the project already, because the game is dead (thanks Spartan!). I've got lots of stuff still in boxes, but I don't feel the urge to process them. I might easily build a second army (besides my currently semi complete Prussians) to have two playable forces. That would allow me to introduce someone to the game and have someone to play with using my models. However, unless Spartan reactivate the game somehow, I'm not going to proceed with the project - simply, on the workbench I've got other projects of "alive" games.

My only real complaints about the models is that they are

1) metal, because Resin would be so much better

2) way too much flashing on the weapon  parts

3) the arms are cut off at the elbow and not the shoulder. Makes attaching them to the main model much harder. Actually have to use Milliput mixed with superglue to glue them down and its not pretty in places. 

Other than these, the models are fine. 

I think you've done a fine job with those grenadiers. I have found the models to be versatile enough to be used with other games, and like the look of them so I continue to paint and model them. Apart from my son, I have no local players. Periodically I'll play on vassal and I also have 2 armies to play with, so if a friend comes over I can run them through a game quickly.

Hmm... My son is 10 months old. Maybe next month I can start teaching him tabletop gaming. :P

It is always good to see a new force being built. And that squad of grenadiers are looking very good. Infantry are critical for this game. The big tanks are much to unpredictable as it is.

The 1st edition of the game did definitely have it's problems. And the Activation cards looked really out of place especially without actually trying it out, but I do think they were  definitely not the worst mechanic. It should have been an optional rule and did absolutely nothing in small games but in larger games it provided a new little strategic challenge and helped players to actually outplay each other.

I hope that you can find some opponents in your group.

Ok this took me a good while as I ran out of a particular paint I needed.

But here is one of my two Sturmwagen finished.

AC3dDQ.jpg 

Have to say, this is probably my favourite paint job so far.

14 hours ago, Merlin said:

Can't see them together? Or can you see them together?

Oh, my apologies. roadkizzle's version is correct: "I can't wait to see them both together". :)

Seeing another picture of awesome stuff I just had to comment on your post. However, living with lack of sleep and free time (after recent birth of my second child) I tend to eat words (instead of proper meals)... ;)

Well, I received an email from Spartan telling me that my order for the Ironclad and 2 Kettenkarres had a problem. Unfortunately, it would seem that the mould for the Kettenkarre broke when they tried to make it. And it won't be replaced any time soon.

So If you were thinking of ordering one.....sorry about that.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.