SharpNz

2.5 height bands?

I'm not sure how else to put it, but it is right there. 

If either the firer or the target are in stratospheric you need RED (6) to hit.  That is what the first sentence says when you combine it with the table.  The second sentence is only applied if they are at different heights, and it is there to decide which number to use in the case of them being different.

The first sentence says nothing about the height level difference, it doesn't say to use one "basic 'to hit' value" over another if your at the same height or different.  It says if either are in Stratospheric the "basic 'to hit' value" is RED (6), that's it.  The fact that both are in Stratospheric just means you're choosing between RED (6) for the Target and RED (6) for the Fire  so there is no choice to be made.

pg. 67 Section A1; (Title) "'To Hit' Numbers and Dice Modifiers...

...."Unless otherwise stated, ‘To Hit’ Numbers begin
by needing a 4+ rolled on a die ‘To Hit’ using the
Exploding Dice Mechanic. ‘To Hit’ Numbers can also
be referred to as a ‘target number’, especially when it
is referring to a roll not related directly to combat.
So, for example if a player is firing at a target
without modifiers, any dice roll would be commonly
classed to as causing a successful Hit on a 4, 5, or 6."

pg. 127 Section C4; subsection 2a

"2a: Determine the Basic ‘To Hit’
Value
The Basic ‘To Hit’ value depends on the Height Level
the Target or Firer is occupying. If they are not at the
same Height Level
, use whichever ‘To Hit’ value is
most beneficial for the Target."

======================================

It would seem that if they are at the same height level, then you are not using the most beneficial 'To Hit' for the Target. Do you use the standard 4+(Red) to hit? Why would this sentence be here if it is automatically negated as you say? I believe that that this table on pg 127 is if both models are NOT on the same height level. So, firing TO or FROM Stratospheric to any OTHER height band would be a 6(Red). Does my position make sense? @Erloas

I do understand where you are coming from, I can see where it is an easy thing to miss.  It could be more clearly stated for sure.

The only problem with your interpretation is that you're using the first clause of second sentence to modify the first sentence, rather than as a clause of its own sentence.

If it said: "If they are not at the same Height Level,The Basic ‘To Hit’ value depends on the Height Level the Target or Firer is occupying." Then I would agree with you.  Or if it said " The Basic ‘To Hit’ value depends on the Height Level the Target or Firer is occupying, if they are not at the same Height Level." Then I would also agree with you, notice the period changed to a comma. 

But the way it is written you take the first sentence by itself to determine the "basic 'to hit' value" and then you move on to the second sentence.  The second sentence starts with a qualifier to say that if they are at different levels, and therefor have different "basic 'to hit' value" the step(s) you need to take to determine which of them to use, in this case the one most beneficial to the target.

Page 67 doesn't help clear anything up, but that is because it is keep very generic because 'to hit' is used in a lot of different circumstances in the game.  In the case of firing weapons, the section on page 127 is the "Unless otherwise stated," qualifier used in that section.

I actually think that a simple change in formatting/order would have made this clearer.  Just separating the two sentences so they aren't read together and make it clear the second qualifying statement, is only done after the first sentence is finished.

such as:

2a: Determine the Basic ‘To Hit’
Value
The Basic ‘To Hit’ value depends on the Height Level
the Target or Firer is occupying.

BASIC ‘TO HIT’ VALUES
Stratospheric RED (6)
Obscured 5 or RED (6)
Surface or Flying 4, 5 or RED (6)
Submerged 5 or RED (6)
Deep Diving RED (6)

If the Basic ‘To Hit’ values are different, use whichever ‘To Hit’ value is
most beneficial for the Target.

If you want, I know an actual lawyer friend I could have look over it :)  Of course @Spartan Mike could just give us the "word of god" which would overwrite anything else, in the case that RAW was just written wrong.

Because "if they are not at the same Height Level" is the only time they're going to have different 'To Hit' values.  If they are at the same height level then they'll have the same "Basic 'To Hit' Value" so you don't need anything to tell you which to pick.  If they are both Deep Diving then your 'To Hit' value is RED (6) and RED (6), so you don't need anything to decide which one to use.  But if one is at Obscured and one is at Stratospheric then you have "Basic 'To Hit' Values" of "5 or RED (6)" and "RED (6)" so you have to have some way of deciding which to use, which is the point of the second sentence.

@Erloas is right. The split of sentences makes all the difference.

It makes sense in reality too:

On the surface targets are in relative 2D, just waves or hills making any difference, so that 500 yards difference is likely just that.

Above ground/surface, or below, they become height bands and so it's all in 3D. The conceptual 500 (horizontal) yards apart, could easily become 1000 (true) yards with the varying altitudes within those bands, making targets that much harder to hit. 

Thats why fliers can pass 'through' one another's board locations without colliding unless they actually intend to do so. They just fly over or under the other within the same height band.