slimeball

alternative turrets

I have always had a little issue with the American ships and I realised it is the turrets, the single gun on a cylinder makes me think of daleks.

has anyone addressed this? I am considering

a. making them 2 or 3 barrelled turrets but keeping the main body of the turret.

b. swapping the turrets entirely

The way I understand it, the American single barrels are rapid fire.  That's why the tops of the turrets look like magazines from the Thompson submachine gun.

It was part of the fluff from Hurricane Season where they described the sound of the guns.

I actually like that concept, plus it explains the Sustained Fire MAR.

But hey, they are your models, I wanna see pics of the two gun version, when you finish.

Daleks huh? Now that you put that thought in my head my ships will be screaming "EXTERMINATE" at everyone they fire upon.

3 hours ago, Drastab said:

Daleks huh? Now that you put that thought in my head my ships will be screaming "EXTERMINATE" at everyone they fire upon.

Only if you can do it in the drawling style of an old school, southern American gentleman - like that actor, Sam Elliott. And go like "Ahhd like y'all ta go ahead and find yerselves EX-TERM-IN-ATED rahht about naow. Thank ye kahndly".

2 hours ago, Bazlord said:

Only if you can do it in the drawling style of an old school, southern American gentleman - like that actor, Sam Elliott. And go like "Ahhd like y'all ta go ahead and find yerselves EX-TERM-IN-ATED rahht about naow. Thank ye kahndly".

Funny you say that, that Blue Star in my pic isn't a choice as much as a birthright.

So the southern drawl is natural to me...though I can suppress it when want to.

I never knew about that piece of fluff drastab, that does explain the style of the single gun turrets and makes me approve of them a lot more. I still think the single gun barrel looks a bit weedy though, so will go for the double, I quite like the fact you can see the elevation workings on the dual barrel turrets too. here is an (unpainted) comparison on the enterprise

20170615_200455_zpsqgs4mx7w.jpg

20170615_200512_zpsw6upuwno.jpg

the gunships are going to get a turret swap too, am thinking battlecruiser and larger get double barrels, cruisers get single barrel and gunship gets something else.

If there was a way to add two extra turrets to the BB style turrets and have them bunched together and aims up at a 45 degree angle.

Maybe the new Heavy Volley gun turrets would look good on the Gunships?

Okay, I'm convinced - those double-barreled turrets look a lot better in my opinion than the standard ones. 

I appreciate the fluff for the standard turrets being rapid fire, and the single barrel with drum magazine representing that, but it just looks so much more business-like with those twin barrels. Might even have to see how a Prussian triple-barrelled turret looks.

On a similar note, I'm toying with the idea of using the Black Wolf Company rocket drop-ons instead of the stock FSA ones. Their helical reloading system visually makes more sense to me, and i think it looks a lot better:

http://shop.spartangames.co.uk/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=DWR1649

23 hours ago, Bazlord said:

I love it when a plan comes together :-)

I'm your Huckleberry

And hey about the turrets: go nuts, it's all cool, you own the piece.  I have modified a few in my own.  Of course, I also modified stats, presses Uncharted Seas ship into service as' Pre-Sturginium' ships, tweaked the world map which covers a wall of my game room,  and converted the game to d20.

With all that said, I am in no position to say anything about changing a few turrets. 

After I got screwed in an EBay deal I have a Enterprise, Indy, and 3 Lexies with no Turrets nor drop-ons.

These alternate ideas may be a life saver in putting those ships to sea, with alternate turrets.

BTW I really like the Ozzie triple turrets, those look awesome.