Bazlord

Pointless Particle Ponderings...

I like the new PA attack but.... dont call it a particle accelerator :). Maybe they can come up with a new weapon that acts like what we all (most) imagine a Particle Accelerator to be, A light beam of pure glory and death! Piercing all who fail to evade its path of destruction!

Thats why my suggestion is to call the short range large blast we have currently a plasma cannon.  Yeah the new weapon has been less the problem than it still being called a PA.  Truthfully i think we could easily accept a name change, as when you say Particle Accelerator for most it conjures the image of a beam weapon.

1 hour ago, Der Hochmeister said:

Isn't it so they can area bombard, or something?

All area bombardments are, by nature, indiscriminate attacks. This is stated in page 100 (where it states that ordnance attacks using templates should be indiscriminate) and in page 130 (where it states that area bombardments are indiscriminate).

As all indiscriminate attacks ignore generators, and the Energy Blast can only fire indiscriminately, barrage is a redundant MAR. A weapon does not need the Barrage munitions to area bombard, it just needs to have the area bombardment (that weapon) MAR on the model.

Overall, I think the Blast is much more flexible as a weapon system than the accelerator (and I really want the old accelerator back), but it does kill your own generators, so... yeah.

The blast of the Descartes MkII doesn't kill your gens, infact it's better defended against loss of gens than any of our ships.

If anything the MkII is pretty filthy good. It's energy blast is so devastating. We really needed a way to generate those kind of dice pools and it's far better at clearing squadrons of smalls than even the old PA.

I've only used it once, but it felt pretty overpowered. I felt guilty for having used it as 3 blasts from my wave lurking MKII pretty much won me the game.

I agree with @jupjupy there really is no purpose to the use of 'barrage' here.