chrisbburn

Planetfall 2.0 Initial Game 5k Terran vs Dinzi

Hi All

Today I played a 5k game using the new rules @Spartan Derek put out a few weeks ago.

We played Terrans vs Dinzi and used the charts in the feedback thread to determine CP points (Terrans 10pts each 8 Free, Dinzi 15pts each 6 Free). I tried a "Rolling Thunder" list of as many tanks as I could field for the Terrans which was probably thwarted by Jimmi and his Dinzi not being on the board fully at the start and him concentrating on a single flank so half my forces couldn't get into battle quick enough.

Dinzi won by a landslide -2 to 71 on turn 4. It took ages to play that might be because there are a lot of grey areas in the new rules and we were trying to patch them in. But also the added range bands made and command points made working out optimum firing solutions a much bigger task. I have written what I found below the lists.

TERRAN LIST - 5000 Pts

CORE

Heavy Tank Sq - 2 x Vidar, Ullr Mk2 (580)

Medium Tank Sq - 3 x Hemidal, Nukes, Ullr MK2 (500)

Light Tank Sq - 5 x Valkyries (250)

Light Infantry - 6 x Hirdmen, Officer, Sinsir (410)

Light Infantry - 6 x Hirdmen, Officer, Sinsir (410)

Heavy

Heavy Tank Sq - 2 x Vidar, Ullr Mk2 (580)

Medium Tank Sq - 3 x Baldur (390)

HAWKER AERIAL

Sherriff (260)

COMMAND POINTS 

x 12 (120)

DINZI LIST - 4990Pts

CORE

Heavy Tank Sq - 2x Kratos (470)

Medium Tank Sq - 3x Eris, 1x Circe (480)

Medium Tank Sq - 3x Eris, 1x Circe (480)

Light Tank Sq - 5x Letos (325)

Light Infantry Sq - 4x Nyx, 1 Drop Pod Assault V (220)

LEVIATHAN

Hyperion, Skydrop Capable (805)

RSN ASSAULT

Archangel Battle Robot (205)

Temple of Dramos (240)

Light Tanks Sq -6x Seraphs (300)

RECON

Light Infantry Sq - 4x Nyx, Officer, 3x Gun Teams 1 Drop Pod Assault V (220)

Field Support Guns - 2x Damolcles MK1 (180)

Field Support Guns - 2x Damolcles MK1 (180)

COMMAND POINTS

12x CP (180)

THOUGHTS

• Quite a bit of the rules synopsis made us questions how it was to work. Mostly CQB and the fact it isn't a separate phase now as how does that work.
  • MOVEMENT
    • Mostly this worked fine as was the only issue we had was when the Dinzi used a "Storming CQB" order we didn't quite know how it fits with the fact that there is no CQB phase and so we treated it as movement and using CQB weapons the problem we had was when we used CQb and how opponents can return CQB fire.
  •  SHOOTING/CQB
    • The new range bands made life a lot more complex and not for the better. We spent far to much time lining up shots check each type of weapons different range band to work out if we could get into the sweet spot for using commands.
    • Models should be able to fire through models in there own unit. This just means that people spend to long setting squads up in the most ridiculous way to ensure all can fire weapons down tiny cracks between each other. It slows the game right down and at the scale you are playing shouldn't the focus be on units manevuring to position not the individuals.
    • Focus Fire Order is too complex as above. I can see where they want to go with it but its just to complex especial on units with various weapons systems. This combined with orders means the placed shot craze is still there. Dinzi on their first turn used nearly all there orders and hit everything on 3+ if not better and dialed all there markers in as well as having Nexus's to spare to target lock up the odd unit.
    • If CQB weapons are to be brought in line with other weapon types can they be listed as such with the appropriate MARS. We played that defensive MARS work as they are now just shooting attacks and so Infantry became harder to hit if not impossible with CQB.
    • Can CQB link? We played they could so Hemidals with Nukes were throwing 36 dice at Nyx units and at most taking off a base each turn even when using a CP to get the 5+ to hit for the Drake cannons.
    • Can you use Shields against CQB weapons? we played you can as they are just shooting attacks.
    • If you CQB a unit that has activated can that unit return CQB fire? We played that a unit can return fire but only if they haven't activated which meant that Nyx easily stormed a unit of Terrans who had just moved into the objective as the Terrans couldn't return fire.
    • Pinpoint is still very very hit and miss. Between all those Railguns the Baldrs Lasers we only had 1 6 rolled in 4 turns. This needs to be made more stable to be worthwhile otherwise its too random.
  • COMMAND POINTS
    • Dinzi Alpha Strike ruins the day. Turn 1 make everything hit on 3+ why not. There needs to be a curb to the amount of orders that can be thrown out per turn if we are able to take as many as we can afford or they a pool of points should be generated on a turn by turn basis.
  • SKYDROP
    • Worked okay. I like that you place them down per turn now instead of once per game but them always being on 6 and the fact that you could use either other markers or CP to bring them down meant that the Dinzi only used their Nexus's for Target Locks. I think using only CP or Skydrops to bring them down instead of either or would be better.

SUGGESTIONS

• Weapons Re-recalibration and Focus Fire Order. A bit of standardising would help here.
    • Ranged CQB should be a type like Primary/Secondary with the automatic Anti Personal MAR or state that Defences don't work against it. I.e its just another weapon on the model
    • Clear up how returning CQB fire works
    • Clear up if you can or can't link CQB with regular weapons
    • Only Direcorate can issue focus fire to Ranged CQB
  • Focus Fire Order, instead of a blanket FF order that applies in certain situations which depend on which weapon type and range band just make FF a straight up +1 Placed shot bonus but only to a single weapon or weapon type (i.e. Primary or Secondary) and only they may fire. I.E. the unit Focuses on firing its main guns so isn't firing the others. Otherwise you spend to much time working out the perfect range for all you weapons and mixing dice and so its slows the game to halt.

Thanks for reading any questions let me know. I really enjoyed the game at the start but them it just dragged on and on and on. nearly 6 hours!!!! 

Forgot to say. 

Passing over - Just get rid of the everyone can contribute CQB it is a bit weird given that you can no longer CQB flyers fix. 

In our game I completely destroyed a unit of Field guns before they landed it wasn't fun for me or my opponent. 

Yeah. I ignored that chart because of Derek's comments and went with what the orbat said. 

I think something like that is sensible for orders to limit their use "one order per turn per command element"

Focus Fire order is currently to powerful and complex. 

I'm not adverse to placed shots totally just the old standing still and the new spend cp make them too easy to get multiple bonuses. 

They need another limit that is less faffy than the current make sure your in perfect range & should just make it so your limited to that type of weapon so models armed with similar weapons have an advantage over more flexible designs. Combined with a limit to orders should bring their power levels into balance. 

The Dinzi definitely got a lot more for their points and the fact that they could hold so much off table and then unharmed until needed. 

Although i had an entire board side full of tanks I ended up with 2 units of Hemidals that only managed to kill 2 units of Nyx because I had to deploy them away from the main battle. 

So 1000pts investment for 320 return

Wanted to point out some more positive things from the new rules. 

HOVER - Worked much better abd both agreed that only triggering if the unit had activated is a much better representation. 

FLYERS - Although I only took a Sherrif which acts like a ground unit anyway the no CQB makes sense and we both agreed a welcome change. Didn't get to test flyer movement properly. 

LOS - Apart from the irritating not drawing LOS through models in the same unit LOS changes made life simple. We assumed you check each model in a unit when determining fire solutions. 

HELIX CONSTRUCTION - I made both lists the Terrans an attempt at getting as many tanks on the field and Dinzi was just trying to include as many different units that I knew my opponent had (he insisted on no proxies). The flexibility allows much more creative list building and is a welcome addition. Does feel strange that the Hawker/RSN units aren't just part of the same list so you could take a mix of Hawker and Terran med tanks in a med tanks slot. 

16 minutes ago, Zebo said:

But in  the old rules, models couldn't draw LOS through other models of their own unit, right? 

True but I don't want to play 6 hrs again ever because I spent all my time fiddling to get each model with los. I didn't enjoy it in the old rules and now its made worse with becasue your not only going for LOS but the optimum range band to make best use of CP. One of the things the designers wanted was to speed up the game. This doesn't seem to hurt the game too much and will speed it up and remove the need to be WAAC-like with your model placement.