Kaptyn Krys

New blog post, a taste of 3.0

Spartan Derek just posted up a new blog post,

http://www.spartangames.co.uk/firestorm-armada-design-overview

lots of interesting thoughts and tid-bits. I for one actually really like the idea of the power core mechanic the alpha team are tinkering with. Reminiscent of Battle Tech heat levels.

Very interested to see what all the C&C stuff is like as well as new SRS mechanics. The removal of capturing ships is a little sad. Always fun running off with the enemies flag ship. The spec opps insertions are probably a little more in keeping with the Firestorm universe where small elite boarding parties are sent to do a specific job. Moe BSG/Trek than 40K

Hopefully it will still retain a lot of the firestorm flavour but play a bit sharper and have the ability to do cool stuff through C&C and not just reduce to a turning slug fest that sometimes happen.

Removal of the AD-Degradation System

Power Core Statistic for each vessel along with a stated Power Rating for each weapon

It will be interesting to see how this is handled. So long as a ship has sufficient PR it can fire a weapon at full AD regardless of HP loss. Obviously this was a preview blog so I don't expect answers but this interaction sounds very important when we are talking about defensive tech. Some ships only have 1 primary weapon (in v2.0). Is a Nausicaa able to fire a full strength Fore Fixed for much longer ( or all of it's HP now)? The implications of this for defensive/attrition based factions is unsettling. 3SH does nothing reliable against repeated 16AD attacks, it was the AD degradation that actually made shields work. So I am assuming defensive tech is being adjusted to suit this now method.

I reiterate this was just a preview blog I don't expect answers from it. Just that the AD degradation loss and Power rating stood out to me without a mention of how this changes to offence impacts defence.

Can't lie, I like what I've read.

Of course Spartan Derek could win over a certain forum user with some Pathogen spoilers....
I would even buy a vowel, or phone a friend.

Knock it out of the park Pathogen Derek, spill the Pathogen.....

Please think of the children.

Now the single most important passage in that blogpost of course was:  "August 2017
Brand new models arrive with statistics and rules for the factions within[..]" ^^ i can't wait to get some new (looking) models.

Those Terran destroyers are in dire need of some 3-dimensionality ^^