We're moving to Discord!

Come join in the discussion here!

You can also still find out all the latest news on TWITTER and FACEBOOK

Thank you for your continued support, and we look forward to welcoming you shortly.

The Warcradle Team

S.Derek

Firestorm Armada 3.0 Designer Feedback Thread

Placing mine tokens on the board with numbers on them to represent AD has been removed, to reduce clutter.

Command points have been introduced, they will need to be tracked somewhere, almost certainly visually as that will factor into opponent's decisions.

Disorder markers are the new High Energy markers.

Corrosion is Corrosion.

Crew Points still have to be tracked.

SRS tokens: Token strength still has to be tracked, token type still has to be tracked (bomber, assaulter, etc), token light/heavy variant now needs to be tracked, joint strikes need to be tracked.

Previewed faction command orders require their own specific tokens, especially if duration of the game orders are still a thing.

Seems to me that tracking and book-keeping hasn't been reduced, it's only been centralized to around the bases of ships, those damn dirty tokens in other parts of the board were an eyesore.

I raised this point - this VERY point when crew loss no longer affected weapons - to reduce the cognitive load, but you STILL have to track the darn things they just do less! 

...no come back and now I fear strongly weapon shielding and casing will run rampant as a massive buff with no hard answer other then death 

Several of the new rules changes feel, to me, like they're "just becuase" that's how a designer decided they should be.  The justifications offered are either wrong (such as removing dice from successes instead of the AD pool being "better" for attackers) or seem like weak "fluff" explanations for things like deployment that could easily be explained in a plethora of different fashions.

19 hours ago, murphy'slawofcombat said:

I would like to if stats for Tascforce ships will be incorperated into firestorm??

they said all ships would have stats, including taskforce... but they may vary widely from what you know...

maybe in a good way :D 

I can't help but agree that some rules have been  set, and no amount of feedback will change it (i'm looking at you cloaks) :( 

however, there have been some changes based on the feedback here, targeted strikes being among them, and they are obviously wanting feedback on ship stats :) 

i'm not thrilled for a lot of these changes, but we are not entirely without voice in this, and i'm sure the end result will be enjoyable, even if it's not everything I've hoped for :)

keep posting your feedback, positive or negative, it may make all the difference in the end

however openminded and constructive feedback, will warrant more open minded development and constructive action, then rudeness or ranting

happy posting :) 

I wanna play the new edition already lol :)

It will be interesting to see how it all comes together and if after a couple of warm up games if I find I get more models on the board 

I love true massive fleet battles (yeah I was doing it in v1 and that was a weekends worth of time for two or three patrol box equivalent fleets lol) 

3 hours ago, Polaris said:

I can't help but agree that some rules have been  set, and no amount of feedback will change it (i'm looking at you cloaks) :( 

however, there have been some changes based on the feedback here, targeted strikes being among them, and they are obviously wanting feedback on ship stats :) 

i'm not thrilled for a lot of these changes, but we are not entirely without voice in this, and i'm sure the end result will be enjoyable, even if it's not everything I've hoped for :)

keep posting your feedback, positive or negative, it may make all the difference in the end

however open minded and constructive feedback, will warrant more open minded development and constructive action, then rudeness or ranting

happy posting :) 

You do realize that you can't really look at cloaks, right?  I mean...they're cloaked and all that.

Half the forum won't believe me, but I'll say it anyway...the feedback really does affect things.  Targeted being a good example.  Cloaks and the whole shield/kinetic thing are also being given serious consideration as to how things ought to work.

As for the ship stats, yes, that especially will need community feedback.  Second edition had a decent amount of balance, at least if you excluded the Sorylians (for not being able to get close enough to do anything) and the Aquans (for being able to get close enough to do everything).  Soon, we'll release the stats and rules, and away we go.  In six months, we'll review feedback and make adjustments as needed.

To all, be careful with the feedback though.  Make it useful.  Telling us "this sux" or "you ruined the game" doesn't help.  But telling us that ship X dies too fast, and it could use more MV, or CR, or the cloak doesn't quite help enough...that we can work with.   I'm echoing what @Polaris has said...it is great advice.

1 minute ago, Xerkics said:

How soon is soon? Days ? Weeks? 

You know that is a tricky one to answer. :)

Scheduling is ultimately up to Spartan Neil.  He's wanting it sooner than later.  If anything, I'm slowing it down in trying to get ship stats to a point where other eyes in the beta/review team can pick them apart before you guys go to town on me. :D    Plus, GenCon preparations is getting in the way of any time I can devote to it.  I know, I know...suck it up and get us the stats!  

I can't give a solid answer to that one.  Reach out to @Spartan Neil and see if he'll divulge anything. 

2 hours ago, Spartan_FA_Mike said:

You know that is a tricky one to answer. :)

Scheduling is ultimately up to Spartan Neil.  He's wanting it sooner than later.  If anything, I'm slowing it down in trying to get ship stats to a point where other eyes in the beta/review team can pick them apart before you guys go to town on me. :D    Plus, GenCon preparations is getting in the way of any time I can devote to it.  I know, I know...suck it up and get us the stats!  

I can't give a solid answer to that one.  Reach out to @Spartan Neil and see if he'll divulge anything. 

Neil said before  to expect new stuff to come out in August so I was wondering whether that turned into end of august or September now ?

7 hours ago, Spartan_FA_Mike said:

You do realize that you can't really look at cloaks, right?  I mean...they're cloaked and all that.

see that was exactly my point now I CAN see them, I want to go back to when I CAN'T ;) 

in all seriousness I appreciate the feedback WE'VE been given

your doing a fantastic job at updates and communication

thank you @Spartan Mike

This whole test has been done poorly for an on-line rules game.  (around an afternoons worth of work)

PDF rule set for V2.M movement changes should have been released under the current rules pdf for a public test period of 1-2 months for feedback. just removing and adding the new movement rules. nothing fancy for testing.

PDF rule set for V2.1SRS after that to replace the SRS section with the new rules for testing.

heck both could of been done at the same time as neither has any direct relevance to the rest of the rules changes for the most part and are the only changes that are actually needed or honestly wanted by most players.

you have on-line pdfs for rules so you can alter them as needed to fix problems. The fact you waited to do taskforce 2.0 armadafall armada 3.0 was unnecessary.

5 hours ago, WestAustralian said:

Shunt Matrix or Improved Shunt Matrix or No Shunt Matrix at all?

@Spartan_FA_Mike please tell me you have Simplified all Shunt Matrix MAR's to be one roll for the whole squadron 

Shunt Matrix (Value) Models with this MAR may increase (or decrease) their arrival roll from reserve by the Value listed in the Bracket. 

The reserve phase works as detailed here:

Once Again I Ask . What form exactly did you beta test take ? Because you have rules changes here that are incomprehensible there. You can just tell us that you didnt have a beta test and im sure everyone will be happy to delay the release of final rules so we can test things properly. I think its better to come out clean and admit it rather than release the rules untested. Because i can tell 100% that you didnt have anyone involved in the test who ever played Relthoza with your cloak and shunt changes.