S.Mike

Admirals of the Fleet - Exciting fan designed vessels!

22 minutes ago, Texas_Archer said:

I really hope this doesnt mean I have to end up waiting a few years to see my model get done. Doing that means I have to hope sales stay high for the game to last that long, or else I just paid the extra money to you guys for no return, and that would be....

Well thats kickstarter for you

i highly doubt they would drop the game by the time your model is up for being made.

Good Afternoon,

So if the player created models are to be boxed with other models for sales purposes, is it safe to assume there will be a big label on the picture of the models included in the package saying something to the effect of "PLAYER DESIGNED MODEL"??

1 minute ago, Thamoz said:

What seems far more likely is that they will be made and shipped in a timely fashion to those backers who designed them, then their general retail release will be staggered out over time as part of Spartan's release schedule.

This is the most likely I agree.  But I would hope the Admiral models are all released before SG attempts any more Kickstarters (like possibly for the Allies expansion or Planetfall).  If they start another KS before ALL the models are out.. it could generate some bad blood and impact future KSs

11 hours ago, Thamoz said:

What seems far more likely is that they will be made and shipped in a timely fashion to those backers who designed them, then their general retail release will be staggered out over time as part of Spartan's release schedule.

That is exactly right Thamoz. :)

Josh

5 hours ago, Aurikon said:

Would I be right in assuming that SG will be filling out the other factions to keep up with the diversity that KoB will end up with from all those backer designer models?

I'm curious about this too. Nine new large models, while I'm sure when they drop we will all collectively go "Oh wow.....yeah that makes sense", is still nine new models, effectively making KoB DOMINATE the large model category. 

Perhaps there will be a balance by giving other factions new large models to compensate. 

*If KoB gets a Providence/Pak/Railroad Gun Barge/Canda style monitor I'll consider it a waste though. 

Just now, CptEvilstopper said:

I'm curious about this too. Nine new large models, while I'm sure when they drop we will all collectively go "Oh wow.....yeah that makes sense", is still nine new models, effectively making KoB DOMINATE the large model category. 

Perhaps there will be a balance by giving other factions new large models to compensate. 

*If KoB gets a Providence/Pak/Railroad Gun Barge/Canda style monitor I'll consider it a waste though. 

I highly doubt they are all large models.. 9 larges is too excessive, I don't think SG would allow that much of an imbalance.

2 hours ago, Benchpresser said:

I highly doubt they are all large models.. 9 larges is too excessive, I don't think SG would allow that much of an imbalance.

I was thinking more in terms of the diversity that all the extra additions will give the fleet, it has the larger chunk of ks designed models compared to the rest so in terms of balance, KoB would end up as the dominant force

Maybe Spartan could slightly over cost them to make the models just so so? Or in the design area make them some what not so great.

If not I will be sensing a disturbance in the force. Still you got to give the Admiral models something to be proud of.

There are only a limited number of larges that can fit in any normal sized ( 1000 to say 2000) game and while a large variety of choice for KOB will feel nice, as long as each model is balanced for points and power relative to the overall game, the shear number of choices cannot affect overall game balance. 18 models to choose from matters little when only 2-4 fit in any one OOB.

2 hours ago, Lord Nobody said:

Maybe Spartan could slightly over cost them to make the models just so so? Or in the design area make them some what not so great.

If not I will be sensing a disturbance in the force. Still you got to give the Admiral models something to be proud of

hmmmm that's not a very good idea. I mean those ppl paid a sum just so that they can design a ship to improve their faction,  I wouldn't think they would be happy to see them ended up as being so-so. 

@Sebenko Becasue the tech shouldn't be something that anyone else figures out or works into their doctrine? That's a little closed minded and erudite! How fitting...;) CoA has all the toys and all the magic in their hat and have enjoyed a large degree of exclusivity for some time now, but at some point logically, some of that tech will be developed in other nations. Time lines advance and CoA have traitors turncoats! And here me and Josh were just talking about the new stuff your ORBAT was going to gain... yeesh!

@Lord Nobody The best way to ensure that these new vessels work in the current ORBATS is to test them and tune them until they are balanced. Same as all the other vessels. We want to make sure the Admirals enjoy the model, but another paramount concern is that we ensure these new elements all have a place in the Dystopian World both thematically and balanced for play. Making broken or out of control models only does disservice to the Admiral and the game and it will not be endevoured. Balance is key!

There is a lot more models yet to come from this project and while the KoB has the largest glut, I would not be surprised to see the remaining backers swell across the other nations of the world. All the non-decided I have yet to confirm with are NOT in the running for KoB. Oddly enough, I kinda found it cool and thematic that the Brits had the most models selected. Very fitting thematically given the world spanning Empire they still enjoy in D-Wars! But I will take a momment to add that the vessels design for them have all been incredibly unique, fill holes in the roster and have been built with truly unique and strong thematic elements that make all of them something to behold.

-Mike

2 minutes ago, Spartan Mike said:

@Sebenko Becasue the tech shouldn't be something that anyone else figures out or works into their doctrine? That's a little closed minded and erudite! How fitting...;) CoA has all the toys and all the magic in their hat and have enjoyed a large degree of exclusivity for some time now, but at some point logically, some of that tech will be developed in other nations. Time lines advance and CoA have traitors turncoats! And here me and Josh were just talking about the new stuff your ORBAT was going to gain... yeesh!

From a game perspective, it reduces the identity of factions. What's next- are the CoA going to get Ablative armour? Will the Britannians get Heat Lances? Especially when the CoA's big selling point is unique fun stuff, it gets annoying when every other nation and their dog has access to them. With the proliferation of stuff, the CoA are down to only Particle Accelerators and Teleporters as actual unique toys.

I echo Sebenko completely on this, but with a caveat. A new rulebook and new orbat allows for new toys to be unique. I disagree with flavour-bleed even if it is logical; never liked that guardian generators became so common outside the KoB for example. However, limited flavour bleed (such as proliferating guardians) can work well so long as they are rare or significantly worse outside of their main faction. This, combined with new actually unique toys can help define faction flavour. For example, if the KoB guardian generators all became a standard guardian 2 where almost all others were guardian 1 (logical, since the KoB have had so much time to develop the tech and others are reverse engineering it) this would feed into the feeling of a progressing timeline. Yes, says the KoB player, our generators have been copied by the perfidious *insert faction here* but we still do it best! Plus our orbat got these neat new sonar target painters that no-one else has!

For the CoA, drones are not going to be unique anymore, energy blasts and time flow gens are also shared and now even our trademark wavelurker is being copied. Ok, fair enough, so long as our drone tech is best (more and better access to drone-boosters in the new system for example, or slightly faster movement speeds compared to the filthy copycat orbats :P) wavelurkers are incredibly rare in other factions and we get a few more unique toys to keep our faction flavourful.

This is pretty much what I expect out of the 2.5 edition. No pressure Spartans :P

Oh, but if any of your fluffy little turncoats, spies or traitors goes anywhere near the particle accelerator plans there will be blood! An enlightened pseudo-pacifist scientist can only be pushed so far you know!

2 hours ago, Spartan Mike said:

1 hour ago, Sebenko said:

From a game perspective, it reduces the identity of factions. What's next- are the CoA going to get Ablative armour? Will the Britannians get Heat Lances? Especially when the CoA's big selling point is unique fun stuff, it gets annoying when every other nation and their dog has access to them. With the proliferation of stuff, the CoA are down to only Particle Accelerators and Teleporters as actual unique toys.

Both of you have excellent points. Josh is correct, tech dilution is going to happen, and realistically, in the DW world, the CoA is the faction everyone is going to steal from. But Sebenko is also right, the only things the CoA has left that are unique to it are the PAs and Teleporters.  This dilution is not new as CoA players have actually been complaining about it for years.  I honestly have no problem with it, as I agree with Josh that other factions are working to steal the CoA's toys, they do have the bestest ;)

My problem is this, where are the new unique toys the CoA has been working on.  With everything that has been stolen from the CoA you can not tell me they would not have been working to invent new and even more ludicrous generators and other toys.  Inventing new equipment to stop people from taking their stuff is totally in keeping with the CoA. As is them totally not expecting people will try and steal that stuff too, the CoA has a high INT score not a high WIS score.  I have been wondering where the new generators are, give the CoA a support Gen that gives all CoA ships in an area Advanced Engines +1 on a one or a two, AE +2 on a three, four, or a five, and AE +3 and a fire token on a six :lol:.  Thats my problem, the CoA has suffered tech dilution but have received no new tech while the rest of the factions have, and that is not in keeping with the DW fluff.  

As for wavelurker... honestly... wavelurker as it is, is really stupid.  Every #$%@ submarine in the game should be able to wavelurk!   Really for a sub "wavelurking" is just riding low in the water!  I realize that it is taking another unique ability away from the CoA but the unique thing the CoA has, is more how much of their fleet can pull off a trick that is normally reserved for submarines and not line warships.

Sorry if this feels ranty :unsure: it is not meant to be.

Heh, Thamoz beat me to it.

Edited by Shadowcatdecoy

@Sebenko no I highly doubt they will be picking up such antiquated armor systems and surely if they get new weapons, they would only be a stark improvement to the froggy heat blasters! They got to pick up new stuff too don't forget... Tech in a world war bleeds in all directions, but they will still be at the forefront of powerful mind shattering science.

Some of the new generators and concepts that will soon be sliding out of their docks will prove that!

Yes the masters of tech have some of the most unique and special case rules in the game and will continue to do so...cause for everything that might get looted or plundered or barrowed... the vault always has progressive new designs to test and unleash! :) 

-Mike

(just to be clear, this is a facetious comment. Please don't take it too seriously :P)

List of once unique-to-coa stuff that has been stolen:

Energy turrets (lost to australians in 1.1)

Energy blast (lost to egyptians in the future)

Time flow generators (lost to the Indian Raj)

Dilation generators (lost to the black wolf... but since they are our mercs I am not sure if we should count this one)

Shield generators with more than 2 dice (invented in 1.1 with the amplified shield generator, lost in 2.0)

Target painter generator (lost to lots of factions in 2.0)

Drones (apparently lost in the future)

Wavelurking (apparently lost to the future... but to a single vessel, which is not too bad)

List of things the CoA has stolen from others:

Guardian generators (still don't know why -.-)

How to make a submarine that goes ALL THE WAY under the water

List of things which have their plans stored in the only lockable cupboard at the vault:

Particle accelerators

Teleportation generators

Inimitable, superior sense of style.

I don't mean to complain that we have not copied others. We absolutely should not need to. Hell, we even invented weather generators and gave them to the Ottomans. Why would we need to steal or adapt from the barbarians? (Get that guardian generator out of here!). But maybe, along with the best scientists and engineers in the world, we need to open our recruiting doors to a few security guards or at least import a few padlocks!

So I look forward to our progressive new designs to take us back ahead of the curve. A curve we created. By inventing generators. And Sturginium. And having a vault in our back pocket.

Still, if the Descartes is in fact a result of our scientists and engineers trying to make a battlecruiser and ending up with a heavy hitting battleship (current leading theory) then I look forward to what they have dreamed up to defend out vessels from the waves of torpedoes which ignore our key defenses (wavelurking and shields) ... unless they got distracted trying to make a sturginium powered spinning top (leading theory for the current design of the Euclid).

About 20 minuets after I posted my earlier response I realized I was helping with thread derailment, so sorry about that Josh!  We should try and keep this thread for the new toys we are getting from our fellow backers.

29 minutes ago, Thamoz said:

Still, if the Descartes is in fact a result of our scientists and engineers trying to make a battlecruiser and ending up with a heavy hitting battleship (current leading theory) then I look forward to what they have dreamed up to defend out vessels from the waves of torpedoes which ignore our key defenses (wavelurking and shields) ... unless they got distracted trying to make a sturginium powered spinning top (leading theory for the current design of the Euclid).

I still hold the MKI was designed while the CoA nerds were sober and the MKII was designed the night of the MKI's launch celebration when they weren't :D

@Thamoz with the energy weapons, the Australians were given the use of some old, mk1 prototype energy turrets in lieu of payment for some contracts, along with some "supervising" engineers.

So, yes, the we lost our energy turrets to the Australians. However, what we gained back (after they showed us what happens when you do some rewiring) was the ability to make Heavy Energy Turrets

5 hours ago, Nazduruk_Bugzappa said:

@Thamoz with the energy weapons, the Australians were given the use of some old, mk1 prototype energy turrets in lieu of payment for some contracts, along with some "supervising" engineers.

So, yes, the we lost our energy turrets to the Australians. However, what we gained back (after they showed us what happens when you do some rewiring) was the ability to make Heavy Energy Turrets

Personally I think it's quite fluffy.  We see a bit of tech leaking out here and there.  For example,  it's not only the Prussian that have tesla techs,  the upcoming League will be having em as well! So yeah,  stuff like this is still quite fluffy,  but it will still be Prussia that has the most and best tesla weapons (I hope).  

For the Australians it can be said that those turrets signify the cunning political influence of the Coa. Same goes with the black woof!  Quite a nice touch imo