Yasbir

New deck design?

With the new Corsican Incident Box and the new battle ships I just realized that the deck is looking different as there are no horizontal "gaps" where different planks should be meeting. It looks like multiple looong plank from bow to stern. Both the new models from the CI Box have this and the new french BB has this. It looks strange next to the older models with the more detailed decks.

Is this the case with all the new BBs? Especially Eider would be nice to know, as the render in the pdf is hiding this detail with a clever angle.

Even some of the new kickstarter models seem to have this, if you look closely at the renders. I know models may look a bit different than the renders, but as Spuntone, Gascony and Cyclops are definitely having this. Is it part of the new 2.5 design? I am not a big fan of the new "everything has to be round and bulgy" trend and I am definitely not a big fan of the new deck design. It feels kind of lazy if you consider the overall degree of detail we get otherwise.

Don't get me wrong. I still really like the new BBs and the new MERC models but I was a bit taken aback when I saw the models next to the others. Maybe its less obvious if the models are all painted. Maybe someone could comment on this? Maybe even with a pic of a painted Spuntone or Cyclops next to another ship from the faction?

I am curious what you are thinking about this. Maybe I am the only one who is bothered by this.

I noticed this too, but I'm not sure if this is really the case. I have the feeling, the molds were worn during the casting process and some of the models had a horrible resin quality. (I heard that it's possible to add shredded miscast models to the resin in order to save money - don't know if SG does so, but I had the feeling). Especially the KoB one was really bad. The EotBS was a little better, the FSA and PE will do. CoA was good and RC was quite ok. With a better resin quality, the details are a lot sharper. But in general the "horizontal gaps" are very faint and far less compared to the "vertical" ones and what we are used to (e.g. carrier decks). To sum it up, I'm used to a better quality by SG - I just know they can do better, because they did in the past. And to be honest, if my IceMaiden will be of this quality, I will be really disappointed.

The Eider doesn't have a lot of visible decking so this doesn't really matter. The decking under the modular superstructures does have the gaps, but you won't notice them, if you don't have a VERY close look.

Just to note, the Descartes only has decking on top of the tiny bridge section on the MkI, which does feature the horizontal deck plank spacing. I think it's a re-used section from other CoA ships, it looks identical to the Aristotle bridge.

You know I am glad that i'm not the only one that was feeling a bit put out by this lol

It is only a minor thing, but you definitely need some spacers in there. I'm actually carving some into my Italian Gunships. @ Any people at Spartan - please be aware of this. we're a picky bunch of gamers ;)

Even the new exclusive Corinthian Club model the SS Dawn of Souls is like this. These new models just don't sit as well with the older models in the range as they could do. Put any of them next to a ship with lots of prominent old style decking, like an Olympic troop transport, and they just look slightly inferior (despite having even better detailing and crispness in many other areas).