Xercius

Blogs, Podcasts and YouTube channels?

Hey guys, I recently ran across this blog by accident: Full Spectrum Dominance, it has a huge emphasis on Dystopian Wars, though there is also a lot of Infinity and Dropzone/Fleet Commander as well.

I love it, the guy is an awesome painter, his fleets look amazing. The blog has lots of cool battle reports as well.

Does anyone else know if any good blogs, podcasts or YouTube channels?

In the past there have been a great podcast by some fellow Aussies called "Element270." I also believe that there have been a number of YouTube episodes done on varouis spartan product by multiple people including 'beasts of War'

@Xercius check out manbattlestations.com...we have a podcast over at Man Battlestations where we cover naval wargaming topics. Not exclusive to Spartan, but we do discuss Dystopian Wars, Firestorm Armada, and Halo: Fleet Battles quite a bit, and we've done reviews for all three (my co-host, @Ruckdog, and myself are pretty big into Spartan's game systems).

And yes, Full Spectrum Dominance is an awesome blog, that guy is a helluva painter...if my fleets and tables looked half as good as his, I'd be pretty happy.

It'd be great to see some regular battle reports on you tube again. 

Folk tried it a few times but seem to ditch their efforts after 3 or 4 goes n there's hardly anything in the last year. It would be a great way for Spartan to showcase their new products and maybe get guest players involved.

well that, or regular battlereports such as Full Spectrum Dominance had. However I think George has been moving away from Dystopian Wars for quite a while now, which is sad.

18 hours ago, Spartan Mike said:

Hopefully if things go the way I am pushing for there will be some significant changes to Spartan Games effort in blogs and media presentation... 

but more on that later! ;)

-Mike

Great idea, and imho a much needed and appreciated step. 

While looking for ideas on how to set up my own Facebook DW Italian fanpage (shameless advertisement: https://www.facebook.com/DWarsItalia/ LOOK-LIKE-FOLLOW, ok, /advertise :P ), I found a descending trend in the online interest for DW:

-around 2011/2012, blogs, podcasts and, more important, stores initiatives, were in a growing frenzy

- around 2014, things started to decline. Shops stopped dead in their initiatives. 

- many blogs are totally silent since 2014-2015, and even those who are still active are just coughing one update here and one there.

This, more or less, followed the promotional efforts which Spartan itself put into DW; many evidence shows us that gaming communities simply do not feed on their own enthusiasm forever, unless they become closed weirdo clubs :). The publishers need to refuel this enthusiasm constantly, with posts, batreps, videos, and, most of all, constant new issues for the game, spread throughout the year. 

But it looks like I'm speaking to an audience of converted :).

Looking forward to the fruits of your efforts, @Spartan Mike.
Now, all the best for Adepticon!!! 

I'm not positive, but I thought that one of the Element270 guys started working for Spartan, not necessarily in-office but maybe as a contractor... If that is true then it would be hard to keep the show as a fan based show when someone is working for them, and would then become an official unofficial show.

That could be complete BS too, I thought I read it somewhere but can't remember where that would have been to double-check.  Of course if Spartan was looking to expand their ranks there probably wouldn't be a much better set of people to pick from than those guys, so it would be a logical choice.

On 2017-3-11 at 8:52 AM, Xercius said:

Hey guys, I recently ran across this blog by accident: Full Spectrum Dominance, it has a huge emphasis on Dystopian Wars, though there is also a lot of Infinity and Dropzone/Fleet Commander as well.

I love it, the guy is an awesome painter, his fleets look amazing. The blog has lots of cool battle reports as well.

The FSD blog is wholly responsible for rekindling my interest in Dystopian Wars recently, as the battle reports are so gorgeously illustrated, entertaining to read, and have storylines threading them together. The Markgraf storyline is epic!

I can't recommend FSD enough. If you haven't checked it out yet, i reckon you should ;-) There's so much content on there, too! Kept me going for ages.

http://fullsd.blogspot.co.nz/2016/05/aar-chinese-federation-versus-royalist.html?m=1