Sign in to follow this  
Ola

Rigging! Share your ideas!

Very nicely done! I've often thought about doing something like this.  Not sure how I feel about the foremast (the one between the two main turrets). I would be tempted to go with just the main mast on top of the pilot house. 

It looks good.  I'm kind of wondering if it is too prominent though.  I went back and looked at WWII ships, and they are all over those but much of it is really fine and hard to make out.  I know the problem with trying to match that though is that it is really hard to build something to the correct scale.

I'm thinking a very light braided fishing line might be the closest we could get for size, and it would be very flexible and relatively easy to work with.  Then it would be finding really fine structure to mount everything to.  I'm kind of wondering if fly-tying wraps might give a good look to the rigging, or if that would look too old to match the more modernized construction that we see on these ships. 

At the same time, I think this would work and look a lot better on some nations than it would on others.  I'm not sure how well it would work visually on EotBS ships for instance, which is my primary fleet.  But I'll have quite a bit of Prussians soon and it should work very well there.

I think on the Japanese ships, since they are train shaped, perhaps their comms antennae and arrays would be set up to run around the hull.  Think like the antennae on Command tanks like the Chi-Ha, T-26, and T-35 variants.  

I like the concept of masts and rigging, but alas.  I'd be afraid of my good hard work being damaged on a table.  

I really like the look of rigging and masts. Maybe spartan can design an upgrade pack with generic masts to put on your ships the way you like it? Would be a neat customisation option. @Spartan Mike

Other then that, maybe take a look at the bigger tripod masts of the US battleships around 1900-1930? They had some pretty impressive towers on top of their battleships.

Which brings me to another (totally off topic btw) point. We could use some different turret placements for our larger (battlecruiser and up) ships. Around the time of Dreadnought the superposition turrets were not all that common. Looking at all the weird turret placements in that time period makes me want to have them in DW.

Hello guys! Thanks for your replies!

On 2017-02-28 at 3:09 PM, Sasori said:

Do you have pictures of the WIPs? I'd like to see what materials you used etc.

Unfortunatly I haven't taken any WIP-pictures. Should have done that! I used plasticard rods, brass rods, plasticard sheets, nylon string and super glue.

On 2017-03-01 at 5:22 PM, Erloas said:

It looks good.  I'm kind of wondering if it is too prominent though.  I went back and looked at WWII ships, and they are all over those but much of it is really fine and hard to make out.  I know the problem with trying to match that though is that it is really hard to build something to the correct scale.

Certainly, the scale is an issue. I have looked a lot on pictures of World War I battleships and in my opinion I think I have matched the scale of those pretty OK. The cables are of course too think, but after scavenging through my workplace and my girlfriends sewing box, it was the thinnest I could find.

On 2017-03-01 at 3:48 PM, Lord Nobody said:

Looks nice. Next on your list could be anti-boarding nets?

That is a fantastic idea! :D But how would it be possible?! :P

Here is a picture that I used for scale reference. The mast in the middle of the ship is quite thick.

S_002_Kurfurst.jpg

13 hours ago, Ola said:

That is a fantastic idea! :D But how would it be possible?! :P

Is cheese cloth to thick? I would paint and harden it. Then have it drape over the mast lines. I would not glue it to the model. Just drop it on the ship when it is being boarded and yell "anti boarding nets deployed Sir "