Jump to content
Nazduruk_Bugzappa

Units that need adjustment

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Zahariel said:

To be fair,  cloud gen doesn't work in rb1 and their ships don't have shields too. But yeah they have really  some really good stuff going on there! 

What is this RB1 you speak of? Though with the new PA and drones in 2.5, perhaps something interesting will happen in that regard.

3 minutes ago, Nazduruk_Bugzappa said:

I've managed to drop a few ZMDs quite easily (even with attached Duns) by careful application of air support and/or submarines.

...this includes using my penguins.

But we have no submarines. Also drones are in a poor place as it stands currently, so bringing enough of them and sufficient big AD attacks at the same time to bring down a DN is a struggle (Especially when trying to build a balanced force)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Zahariel said:

The Zmd and dun has a 360 movement,  it is free to rampart the area it wants and leave an opening space to shoot at full. 

And I hardly think a rugged 2,  Dr 8 cr12 unit, with superior long range fire power  is going to die in 2 turns of shooting.  and if my opponent does focus on the Zmd, so what?  it's redoubtable and packed with tertiary weapons.  also, you are ignoring my fleet and the rest of my fleet would tear you apart.  

I've seen it happen to mine on more than one occasion. Though I will admit that turn 3 is usually when it goes down.

Also, simple way for an opponent to avoid the Rampart, is to focus on the Dun in the first turn. Kill one and the Rampart is no longer an issue. The dread will never be protected. 

The Rampart is not an issue and it should never be an issue. If you don't kill the accompanying Duns first, then target prioritization is the main problem.

 

If you focus fire to critical the dread constantly, as the opponent, it shouldn't matter if it has redoubtable or not, because you are not trying to reduce its AD, your trying to kill it. Isolated systems will only work so many times one of those critical will get through and it can screw with it harder than you can believe. Half AD, it loses much of it main weapons strength, Chaos and Disarray, it loses its rockets and Flamethrowers. Corrosive, has to roll to fix itself or lose more HP.  Keep aiming for criticals and it will go down. 

 

And you can effectively ignore the rest of the Chinese fleet and focus on the dread with your heaviest hitters as what a Chinese player can bring with the dread will not be enough realistically to carry the fleet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Merlin said:

I've seen it happen to mine on more than one occasion. Though I will admit that turn 3 is usually when it goes down.

Also, simple way for an opponent to avoid the Rampart, is to focus on the Dun in the first turn. Kill one and the Rampart is no longer an issue. The dread will never be protected. 

The Rampart is not an issue and it should never be an issue. If you don't kill the accompanying Duns first, then target prioritization is the main problem.

 

If you focus fire to critical the dread constantly, as the opponent, it shouldn't matter if it has redoubtable or not, because you are not trying to reduce its AD, your trying to kill it. Isolated systems will only work so many times one of those critical will get through and it can screw with it harder than you can believe. Half AD, it loses much of it main weapons strength, Chaos and Disarray, it loses its rockets and Flamethrowers. Corrosive, has to roll to fix itself or lose more HP.  Keep aiming for criticals and it will go down. 

 

And you can effectively ignore the rest of the Chinese fleet and focus on the dread with your heaviest hitters as what a Chinese player can bring with the dread will not be enough realistically to carry the fleet.

I.......dont know what to say.  

However I do look forward to have a game with you if the opportunity present itself.

 

39 minutes ago, Sebenko said:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point all we can do is wait and see what the changes are with the latest update and playtest them to see if all of these units seem more balanced. In the meantime...

As a primary French player the Vauban to me needs a few tweaks to better fulfill its dual roll as a Dread/Carrier while not being too good or bad at one or the other. The Chinese Dread seems to have a lot going on with it where it can be overpowering to certain factions. Tough as always is how can we balance both inter-faction and across nations without making it not worth playing anymore?

But lets add another "heavy" to this debate, the Euclid.... As much as the Penguins are one of my toughest opponents, this unit needs help. Its dreadnought-like stats (cost mainly) for being a dual role model (Carrier/Battleship...ish) has it underwhelming in both departments. What would people suggest need to be changed to make this model on par with other models?  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hubcap said:

But lets add another "heavy" to this debate, the Euclid.... As much as the Penguins are one of my toughest opponents, this unit needs help. Its dreadnought-like stats (cost mainly) for being a dual role model (Carrier/Battleship...ish) has it underwhelming in both departments. What would people suggest need to be changed to make this model on par with other models? 

The current Euclid is too expensive for the base version and the upgrades are too expensive. It's only slightly tougher than a Heavy Battleship, while lacking even battleship firepower, and because drones suck the carrier capacity isn't worth the cost. I wouldn't pay more than 270 points for the Drone Launcher (9) version, and even then it would only be 'okay'. Also screw the 'must buy this upgrade to buy the other', it's pointless.

Of course, the preceding paragraph is moot, since we know that drones are being heavily changed, Particle Accelerators are changing completely, rockets are being buffed and Energy Turrets are at least gaining piercing- which means that every offensive ability is changing (mostly buffs it seems). In addition, didn't I hear that all flyers can go stratospheric? And generators are probably being rebalanced due to the activate after moving option, which means the Euclid's generator options are probably getting switched around. Essentially, I'm expecting a total rework. Speaking of which, @Spartan Mike  any chance of a sneak peak of that rework?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always fun to see a spirited debate about those much feared flagships!

Certainly there will be looks and brushwork given to all of those big badass dreads, the ZMD has always been a tough nut and much like the Vaubaun and the Euclid, I suspect they will receive a strong degree of focus to bring them to a reality that does its best to please players in all camps.

Spoilers at this stage would be completely premature and ultimately ignorant and useless! A raft of effects from faction guides and the new version of the rules need to be factored into our plans for re-tooling the stats to get them in the right place and the bulk of that planning comes with public exposure and feedback... More about that coming up a bit later!

One thing I absolutely can tell you, is that I have recently finished a new round of changes to the modular BBs and they are being further dialed in this week as we complete the updated release ORBATs for everyone's consumption in preparation for release of this exciting new era of Dystopian Wars! :)

-Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't blame me for trying, right?

5 minutes ago, Spartan Mike said:

One thing I absolutely can tell you, is that I have recently finished a new round of changes to the modular BBs and they are being further dialed in this week as we complete the updated release ORBATs for everyone's consumption in preparation for release of this exciting new era of Dystopian Wars! :)

Will they be balanced around 2.0 or 2.5 rules?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Spartan Mike said:

@Sebenko they are being prompted for 2.5

and I blame nobody for trying! Being excited and pumped for new releases is one of the best parts about these hobbies! My only regret is that I can't give you anything more solid...yet!

-Mike

You need to develop a code. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Spartan Mike said:

@Sebenko they are being prompted for 2.5

and I blame nobody for trying! Being excited and pumped for new releases is one of the best parts about these hobbies! My only regret is that I can't give you anything more solid...yet!

-Mike

mike! Could you hint if there are any changes being made to the Metzger?  It's a very iconic dystopian wars unit and I'm sure many of us are really anxious about its future!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zahariel said:

mike! Could you hint if there are any changes being made to the Metzger?  It's a very iconic dystopian wars unit and I'm sure many of us are really anxious about its future!  

I've already tried getting that info out of him. Apparently Metzger is watching him closely to guard Spartans secrets.

 

One thing I've always wanted to know, though, what ever happened about the St. Michael pattern? What happened that we never got the arms to make It? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Secrets indeed...

The Metzger is a big spot in the heart of Dystopian Wars. Incredibly cool model, awesome steampunk coolness, an aged veteran that has been walking into the sunset for some time now...

It is time he turned his back to it and charge back into the fray with glory!

No details yet, but there will be changes. The St. Michael is something that has always bothered me, the opportunity to make an even cooler looking Metzger is something I know everyone, both fan and Spartan want to see. I know we can make this happen.

The STC has been sitting misfit for a while, so the problem with their Unique Big-Robo is firstly a model one and second an ORBAT issue. Both things that I will put all available energy and shouting voice into rectifying.

-Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spartan Mike said:

Secrets indeed...

The Metzger is a big spot in the heart of Dystopian Wars. Incredibly cool model, awesome steampunk coolness, an aged veteran that has been walking into the sunset for some time now...

Ever since it was changed up to the Ausf-B back in v1.1. So a very long time.

 

And I hope the changes do make him better to use. Just bought myself two more of them to make better warterlined versions to match the Dreadbot.

 

20170509_211034.jpg

 

Looks way cooler than the original Spartan one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Merlin said:

I've already tried getting that info out of him. Apparently Metzger is watching him closely to guard Spartans secrets.

The Metzger is only the half of it, Spartan Neil has also arranged that there are at least 4 EotBS Shinobi in the room with Mike and Myself at any time.

Even the amount of information disclosed above will lead to a throwing star on his pillow this evening as a warning... :ph34r:

Josh (who knows nothing, honest!:blink:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Nazduruk_Bugzappa I think those swimming cuties are just fantastic! ... But If I have it the way I am dreaming of it, there will be all kinds of new incredible models for them!

@Zahariel Always a pleasure to help keep the enthusiasm charged! But seriously, get your head checked! 7?! That is a hell of a squad!... and indeed a bit mad! :) 

@Merlin Very impressive! Certainly ratchets up the intimidation factor!

@Spartan Josh Ya these Shinobi are a dour bunch! What makes them think an "honorable" Ruskie like myself would have trouble keeping tight lipped? :P lol

-Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nazduruk_Bugzappa said:

7 Metzgers wouldn't get used all that often, except for very large games.

I have several squadrons in each of my forces that would never see the table in a "normal" game, such as my 27 Freedom robots, or all 12 Victoria monitors.

Yeah, but you could dress them all up differently, name them after girls or days of the week, and pretend you're dating a different girl giant steampunk robot every time you field a new one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zahariel said:

@Spartan Mike thanks for the hint!!!  I have like 7 Metzger model ready for war ( yeah even my friend said I have a problem) and I finally get to use them in my naval engagements!  

Charge up the sturginium engines! Crank up the gears!  Metzger is coming for you!  

Somewhere in the older posts are threads about what their collections are.

There is also one I posted a couple of years ago, about my FSA cracking 10k. (I now have several that are either over, or coming close to it.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Nazduruk_Bugzappa said:

Somewhere in the older posts are threads about what their collections are.

There is also one I posted a couple of years ago, about my FSA cracking 10k. (I now have several that are either over, or coming close to it.)

It started out as an innocent attempt to bolster your force. I got the land force and the Prussian naval support squad.....then the store had one Metzger on sprue,  then  I decided to get the Sto box and then......

Well before you know it I got 7 of em.  Xd

To be fair it's such an amazing model,  that and the imperium.  It just shouts " this is what steam punk should be! " 

And man I cant resist it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Zahariel said:

It started out as an innocent attempt to bolster your force. I got the land force and the Prussian naval support squad.....then the store had one Metzger on sprue,  then  I decided to get the Sto box and then......

Well before you know it I got 7 of em.  Xd

To be fair it's such an amazing model,  that and the imperium.  It just shouts " this is what steam punk should be! " 

And man I cant resist it 

My collection started off as "just the FSA starter and an aircraft carrier"

It now consists of over 12 nations, and varies from a few hundred points to several thousand points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Nazduruk_Bugzappa said:

My collection started off as "just the FSA starter and an aircraft carrier"

It now consists of over 12 nations, and varies from a few hundred points to several thousand points.

Same here,  it started with Prussian,  then Sto, then black wolf, then I thought the French looks nice,got a couple of ships and before I knew it had collected a sizeable army eqv to my Prussian force!! Then I decided to get some Japanese units cause they looked cool and boom,  Japanese fleet is ready as well. Lol.  

Damn it SG!  Stop releasing awesome models!  My wallet can't keep up!  XD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Zahariel said:

Same here,  it started with Prussian,  then Sto, then black wolf, then I thought the French looks nice,got a couple of ships and before I knew it had collected a sizeable army eqv to my Prussian force!! Then I decided to get some Japanese units cause they looked cool and boom,  Japanese fleet is ready as well. Lol.  

Damn it SG!  Stop releasing awesome models!  My wallet can't keep up!  XD

The "wake up call" for me was when I made an online order a couple of years ago, and got a call from the bank to make sure that it was actually me that ordered it. My order was $1500.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.