Nazduruk_Bugzappa

Units that need adjustment

Nation: FSA

Model: Independence Battleship

Problem: with the new heavy and modular battleships this old girl has no place anymore. The modular for only 10 points more at base level has a shield gene and sustained fire on ALL its weapons systems. It needs a new role within the fleet.

Suggestions: drop it's points cost to 150/160 making it perfect for smaller games

OR

give it the ability to hunt small models, the background fluff could say it's been upgraded/refitted

Spartan Mike likes this  Like this

That fits well with most of the old battleships, but the Emperor doesn't really fit in with any of the Eider variants, due to both Tesla and Broadside weapons being present on the model. 

If the Eider had a Mk3 that had Turrets and Tesla broadsides, that would fit perfectly...albeit without the aft Tesla. Either that or it gets Speerschleuder Broadsides instead of an all Tesla Broadsides, in the same way the Recke had it's P/S Broadsides replaced with Speerschleuders. 

@Spartan Mike

Just curious, but what units are you guys focusing on for this update to v2.5? I assume it is only the Core Nations for now? Also, would you be able to elaborate on which of the units pointed out in this thread are being looked at by the team, or at least pencilled in for improvement down the line? 

Since they are already released models I do not see a reason that would prevent you from telling us this much. No need for specific changes information. Just a nod to let us know the worst models in our armies might he fixed soon.

The updated stats may surprise a lot of people with what actually gets changed. Changing a stat on one unit will affect other units usefulness or roles. So for example, out of 8 units that people want to change; maybe 2 will actually change that now makes the other 6 better (or worse).

It shall be interesting to see.... :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Sebenko said:

Considering how all-or-nothing a lot of the CoA model inadequacies are, I hope most of the Covenant models mentioned get some love.

"A lot of the fixes suggested here are just "buff my faction plz" 

Got to say Naz, you have never been shy on how you feel about the CoA. I guess you can say the exact same thing about me and the EotBS.

Nation: FSA

Model: Avion

Problems:

*Too slow, one trick pony that usually doesn't pose enough threat to be worth the cost. Kill one or two and forget about them.

*FSA has no air interceptor"

Suggestions:

*Increase speed to 14" ( or advanced engines 3") and make them a Difficult target. Change minimum move to 2". Add Evasive Maneuvers +1.

*Add Directed Fire and Air hunter +1 (AA)"  This would make them a moderate interceptor, but hardly OP.  Ten AA is hardly overwhelming, especially since only one attack would get it so 6 and 3, not 6 and 4 if split. Desperately need Difficult  and speed to survive. 4' inch minimum is dumb, they are smalls

There is nothing wrong with the A3. It is one of the best Low Level Flying small aircraft I have ever used.

The FSA does have an air interceptor: It's the John Henry robot.

Also (with one or two exceptions) every "aeroplane" type model  has that 4" minimum move, regardless of nation.

The correct way to use this model is to "run the deck" until you're ready to strike, and then climb to Flying height for the bombing-run. You then use your Swift move to either drop back to the deck, or climb into the clouds, depending on what enemy aircraft are nearby.

On 24/03/2017 at 10:26 PM, Lord Nobody said:

"A lot of the fixes suggested here are just "buff my faction plz" 

Got to say Naz, you have never been shy on how you feel about the CoA. I guess you can say the exact same thing about me and the EotBS.

Since so many of the CoA models are just really damn good, I don't see how making the other half of their models usable would even buff the faction- the top end choices are already top end for a reason. I just want to be able to choose the other options without feeling like I've gimped myself.

15 hours ago, Nazduruk_Bugzappa said:

There is nothing wrong with the A3. It is one of the best Low Level Flying small aircraft I have ever used.

The FSA does have an air interceptor: It's the John Henry robot.

Also (with one or two exceptions) every "aeroplane" type model  has that 4" minimum move, regardless of nation.

The correct way to use this model is to "run the deck" until you're ready to strike, and then climb to Flying height for the bombing-run. You then use your Swift move to either drop back to the deck, or climb into the clouds, depending on what enemy aircraft are nearby.

I had a long response, but nah. I see your points, and don't agree in large part. Low flyer is a high cost tactic in the movement of a fleet. It demands a lot of things for it to be effective. Impacting what else the fleet is doing and there own best moves. It can work, but even then I have never seen an A3 squadron arrive intact or survive effectively after one attack.  Two to three turns to arrive then done-expensive. Take another Revere Squadron instead.

The Freedom is the FSA small intercepter. Decent, not that good. As with most FSA air, almost all of which is decent to excellent, too expensive for the point size games being played. Aerial units are just too vulnerable-even low flyers.

On 4" mandatory move- well its true but that is a rule but that is all it has going for it. Not a model fix as you point out but a system fix. Which won't addressed as it changes too many things already in place- regardless of merit. 4" minimum move for airplane models is,...very odd. Airplanes get it, blimps don't. Is this a game balance thing? Because it sure isn't physics, or mechanics.  SLOW moving blimps (in DW blimps are not that slow) may seem to turn (actually pivot, not turn) quickly but airplane control surfaces are MUCH more effective. Speed is the the other major factor in how fast you turn. DW pretty much reverses the effects of speed and aerodynamics, Look at Robots--but hey who cares-right.

Things like minimum move impose their designed limitations in a way that the intent (which confuses me) is too complicated to address over turns so it resets. limiting the beginning of movement on every turn is nonsensical compared to say advanced engines, which makes a lot of sense. It is the same as continuing a models turning over a two activations-- too hard to manage so it is reduced to reseting between activations. I get that. But what is the reason for 4" minimum and is it worth the impact? 

" But what is the reason for 4" minimum and is it worth the impact?  " I think it is used to show the min airspeed needed to keep the plane from diving. Min. airspeed to have enough lift from the wings to keep it in the air. Blimps don't need it and robots use their rocket engines to get vertical lift. Hope this helps?

At what points level? Dreadnoughts in general are very... particular about how you deal with them at the 1k points level.

I've not played against an Enterprise, but a quick comparison to the Prometheus suggests they're about on par.

Boarding must be a huge factor for your game @Presidente because in both of my groups, boarding is always countered pretty well, leaving it to only small concentrated parts of the battlefield decided by boarding (chance or opportunity boarding). 

I do agree though; it is the easiest way if you can get close and use multiple squads to board. I have never had a Dread taken in one turn from one squad of mediums or smalls.