Sign in to follow this  
Brother Glacius

Almost two years since the last Planetfall Blog

At least that is what their blog site says using the Planetfall tag. How do you go two years without mentioning a game? I really just don't get Spartan. They make fantastic models. The rules aren't always the cleanest, but I have felt that they were on the right track with each iteration getting better. But damn, the long areas of silence is just deafening. Find something to say about your games, even if no new stuff is out. Create some tactics articles or paint showcases. We just need something from you to see that a game isn't dead.

It's not dead yet... It is is a complete game, it is mostly balanced (could do with refining)  and Neil did make an anouncement to the expedite the Planetfall 2.0 rules: 

Neil is making anouncements all the time... Unfortunately, they are rarely followed by facts.

To me, and to a lot of other players (look at the forum activity), PF is dead. A lot of people sold their minis and started giving their money to companies that supports their games. More than a year (and still counting) without anything is way too long for a brand new game like PF was.

If you had asked me a few months back I might have said the game is on life support. Currently things look much better. Alpha testing for 2.0 is under way. Beta testing is forming with SG requesting direct feedback from players. To me it looks like SG is getting their house in order. All good stuff. DW is in process of getting good stuff currently. I would not be surprised if FA gets the love next. Luckily I think FA like DW really just needs some minor tweaks. PF really does need a solid 2.0. While I have no special insight I would not be surprised to see PF 2.0 release closer to the end of the year. I'm looking forward to it.

We actually play PF quite often in my group...that said, we have taken a lot of liberties to keep the game fresh.  Most of the time now we play 3v3 on massive (long, not wide) boards with ~20k points per side.  While the games still only take a few turns to determine an obvious winner, the sheer amount of mayhem on the board is still a fun way to blow an afternoon.

as long as any new rules do not make units redundant or a 'new' model line comes out to shunt our current models.  the game as is still playable and fun if you can find folks that arent pi**** off still at spartan. still tender round here.

20 hours ago, alamo said:

as long as any new rules do not make units redundant or a 'new' model line comes out to shunt our current models.  the game as is still playable and fun if you can find folks that arent pi**** off still at spartan. still tender round here.

Yeah, that's the real problem here... Nobody with a healthy mind is ever going to buy PF minis or get into the game. And a lot of those who bought minis before the game was totally forsaken just gave up seeing how SG acts. One player leaves, then another, etc... 

Sure, as long you have minis and a group of motivated gamers, playing PF isn't a problem, nobody denies that and the rules are decent. It doesn't change the fact that SG has already thrown his luck away with this game, that could have been way more widespread and played if supported correctly. Now that the attraction of novelty is over, and that the game hasn't got anything new for more than a year, it's over.

I wish I could keep faith like some of you guys do, but I simply can't. I know SG too well.

i gifted my aquans and sorys to spark a group............hoping that having painted armies for free might work..................to  no avail.  much time and money were spent because i love pf and wanted it to succeed and ....yet.  sincerely hope the new betas get up and running and the game gets traction.

for some who asked i did not send in my app for beta, after signing 4-5 nda for legions/ucs and forum activity for invasion i will wait it out this time. way too much time was spent on ucs and a lot of work was done and never once received any replies to any playtest work sent in plus the months of silence.....and beta groups formed and then reformed, etc, etc.  as much as i would like to i dont want to go thru any/all that again for any reason.

what limited hobby time i have i want to enjoy the hobby aspects of it as well as gaming and if/when pf mounts a hard charge i'll wait and see. none of us live in a vacum and people are important if a game is to succeed.

Well, locally (and there wasn't much of a local meta to begin with) the game is dead in the water. Most of us play multiple gaming systems, and seeing that other systems are supported and are getting new models while Planetfall has been left in a state of imbalance (they've only sort of fixed the Relthoza with the last orbat update) has soured peoples opinions on Planetfall and Spartan as a whole.

Right now they seem to be somewhat redeeming themselves with the Dystopian Wars kickstarter, but I'm still waiting on continued support after the kickstarter on Dystopian Wars, and not another 2 years of silence.

With the recent release of the Dropfleet Commander kickstarter and the mess of delivering the pledges being almost over, there has been talk locally to start Dropzone Commander as well. This will probably mean that Planetfall is done in our meta. Which is a shame, because I think Spartan's models are better then the Dropzone ones.