Sign in to follow this  
pothoc

To energy turret or not?

Do you guys tend to swap your standard turrets for energy ones? I just not sure if the redoubtable is worth losing so many attack dice in RB1 and RB2. Am I missing more than redoubtable and that they can link with the broadsides?

Energy Weapons have both their advantages and disadvantages. It all depends on the intended role you have planned for the vessel.

If it's going to be used in a front-line role,  the standard turrets tend to be better, as they have the higher firepower in rb1 and rb2 (plus having Sturginium Munitions means that any enemy shields are dropped from red to blue)

If you're looking for more of a "support" role, the more stable rb3 and rb4 firepower of an energy turret is better to use. During the first turn or two, they should be used to take out any small/medium bombers that could threaten your other support vessels.

Also, Energy weapons cannot link with "conventional" weapons.

Depends on your fleet build.

Target painter shenanigans? Go heavily E-turrets. Close assault? Mainly Main Turrets.

There are very few squadrons where I'd suggest always going one or the other- The Aristotle should almost always be E-turrets, because the Main Turret version is a bit poor and any position where it would benefit from the extra dice is a position where it's going to be boarded. The Cleomedes should be Main Turrets, as they're rather well equipped for close range ambushes, and many other squadrons will do the job of E-turret cleos better.

As others have said, it does depend on your fleet build.

I have a preference of being able to reach ouch and touch the enemy with something akin to a sledgehammer whilst they reply with the touch of a feather.  I tend to run twin aristotle with energy combined with a kepler each.  Can't be doubted, especially when I have the points to chuck in an omega squadron (cleos with energy to link with the keplers).

However this does come down to the fact I normally face Russians so like to keep away from them so Energy suits me well.  

A standard cleomedes squadron has always served me well with standard ammo as it wave lurks to get in close, using torpedoes to cause damage.  Before doing a jack in the box to pop up and hit the enemy hard with the turrets. Same with the dreadnought, more akin to a battering ram when I use it (tendency to lose it to boarding as I seem to underestimate russian boarding)