DorianManhattan

Invaders (War of the Worlds Tripods) out of stock?

I can't find them anywhere. Has anyone ever tried using the Tripods from the back from the dead game "All Quiet on the Martian Front" in place of the Invader models? I guess Spartan has discontinued them? You can't even find them on their online store. 

If you use the AQOTMF tripods would they scale well with Dystopian Wars Ground models? Or would they be way too big since they are in 15mm scale. 

That's funny. I couldn't find them on the store either, but I did a Google search to make sure and it came up as being part of the store.

https://shop.spartangames.co.uk/mobile/product.aspx?ProductCode=DWEX09

However, here's the strange thing. That there is the mobile version of the website. Yet the PC version doesn't have the same link. Must be a problem with the site because I wouldn't have thought the Invaders would be removed.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind of they did become a new threat, when the story really starts to stagnate. There is only so long as world war can be fought beFore all sides just can't continue fighting, or the public finally gets tired of seeing huge casualty lists and moral at home or the trenches is depleted. 

Plus, with the new Interbellum part of the fluff, the introduction of the violent Sturginium caused storms could be transmitting a signature that the Invaders are looking for and they invaded.  

And no, it wouldn't be like most Hollywood films where the aliens are searching for resources and attack the planet to get them, but they are looking for the Vault, because the Earth was a weapons testing range, or something that was lost to the Invaders.....or something like that.

So long as the story for their invasion is believable I don't mind if they do become part of the Canon......but not now.

with the several technological vaults being found around the world, sturginium  and the byproducts, why not have the invaders as a small canon force.  Be like the Firestorm Armada: Return of the Overseer two player pack, have the sturginium and vaults as either left over lost tech from the invaders that upon activating has called them back with a small recon force looking into why the fit has hit the shan.

2 hours ago, DorianManhattan said:

Is sturginium a super strong lump of coal? So it works in like steam engines or is it liquid petroleum with like gas tanks?

It's more like an oily substance, that is used as a power source, like petroleum, but it also interacts in interesting ways with materials if it is infused into it. For example, a country could use brass as the main metal of their armoured vehicles, even though brass is nowhere near good enough to protect against any sort of bullet.....unless it was 3metres thick. Not economical at all. But using Sturginium, that 10mm plate of brass could become just as hard as 1 metre thick plate of steel.

That's an exaggeration, but it gets the point across. Don't ask me how it does this, all I know is that the plot demands it be so...and I'm OK with that.

On 17.2.2017 at 0:33 PM, Thamoz said:

I like the invaders, but I wouldn't want them a part of the main story. Update them, release more for them, create cool offshoot stories for them; I would love that. But keep them as they are, an offshoot non-cannon faction that is not part of the dystopian world.

CoA already has UFOs and fires all over the place with laserbeams. Egypt seems to become the next futuristic faction. All main factions have giant robots rumbling over the battlefields. EoBS can field armies consisting only of robots, and the Teutonic order has not even been released yet. Nobody forbids that. So what is wrong with Invaders? Make them a legal faction. If I buy the models from Spartan, I do not want to ask for permission to play them. I also do not want to use use rules that are out dated for years. Invaders can be included in the fluff and they can be balanced in the same way many other small factions already are.

But I think part of the whole thing with them is that they aren't really balanced. They are supposed to be over the top and more of a campaign or scenario type of enemy.

The Ice Maiden and Russian ship (never remember its name) both also fall into that category, at least with what Spartan has told us so far.

I also don't see it as an issue that you have to ask your opponent first. That shouldn't be much of an issue for most gaming groups.

They are not balanced because Spartan neglected them for a long time. Their rules still being from V1 are out dated for years now. Spartan took many of their ideas and gave them over to other factions. They can be balanced if You want to. Btw, I do not think them over the top. I beat them with many factions before. I think they are rather easy to beat if You take on their weaknesses (the most obvious being the lack of volume of fire against small targets). There is no reason not to make them legal.

45 minutes ago, Erloas said:

also don't see it as an issue that you have to ask your opponent first. That shouldn't be much of an issue for most gaming groups.

Well, I do see many issues. Why do have Invader players have to ask, while others do not have to? This is arbitrary. I could as well by chance pick another faction and demand my opponent to ask me if he wants to play it.

But if you buy invaders you know right from the start that they are non-canon and that they aren't designed for normal play. I seriously doubt anyone would buy them as their primary or only fleet.

Lots of people wanted the ice maiden knowing fully well that it isn't designed to be used in everyday games. Are we going to hear a bunch of people complaining in a few months when it comes out and it isn't designed to be something that is used all the time?

The Icemaiden belongs to the Teutonic order that has not been released yet. I can imagine it getting rules later on. The same happened to the Titan troop transport. The Icemaiden does not look more powerful to me than the dreadbots that already existed before.

Invaders looked very strange when they were released in the distant past. In the course of time, many of their rule mechanisms were included in other factions. By now they are not that strange any more. I think Spartan missed a chance by neglecting them. This faction has the chance to attract customers without even creating new models. All that is needed is up-to-date legal rules.

Don't think we'll see complaints about legal play for the Mega models.  But the Invaders would never be a primary force, just too small.  Even if you can take them into a land or sea game with the same models, your still limited in actions and units for high cost.  While MOST of the minor nations are also limited, they too are not used as primary forces in my area, but additional assets for the major nations (thank you close ally rule).  Invaders have no one to aid them, and are against everyone, so be like a very small, very powerful, very high cost, penguin nation on steroids.  For being a canon force, again stated: it's possible, and can be worked with what lore is known, but might not be likely as already people are calling them OP.  The invaders do need an update, and would like to see the invader sub that was designed.

The minor nations also had just one box of models and no legal way of allying with others in the past. The alliance system is a rather new thing in DW. There are also many players that do not like allies and want to play faction pure. Invader can go the same way the minor nations went, i.e. get more boxes. Considering their high points cost, they even need less models to buy.

I cannot understand why Invaders are called OP. In my LCG they are not. I do agree they still need lots of balancing, but that is just because Spartan forgot about them. Remember the French heat lances that were similar to the Invaders beams before, but the French were updated while the Invaders were not. Nobody wants to play against RoF using the old heat lance rules for good reasons.