sonicwhiz

How to deal with voluntarily ditching drones.

Played a rather interesting game today with CoA vs Kingdom of Brittania, I only had the Assault Dread for a drone launcher and wings of local air support however by turn 2 I had cleared the table completely of enemy flyers. With only fighter drones left on the table I decided to try and re-task them as other players with conventional carriers can do. However after consulting the rule book and checking the drone stats in the CoA fleet lists the 7 of us (3 games going on) agreed that I would have to roll for permanent loss of the drones. Typically I lost all of my drones at this point, bad rolling true, but none the less frustrating. 

So my question is this really;

Did we interpret the rules correctly for drones and any "ditch" requires a roll to put the token back in the scrapyard and thus circulation. Or is there a way where a voluntary ditch (as above) puts the drone tokens back into the scrapyard automatically?

Has anyone else experienced this or got any suggestions?

Over to you.

Drones only ditch after attack runs so there is currently no way to voluntarily ditch them.  The only way to get rid of those fighters would have been to kill them by flying off the table or wait for the enemy to helpfully shoot them down.  Either way you are making the feedback rolls.

Drone rules are pathetically based on sheer luck.  In small games a few bad rolls can remove your ability to relaunch at all while in large games you need to spam drones to ensure a reliable launch pool.

Just now, Veldrain said:

Drones only ditch after attack runs so there is currently no way to voluntarily ditch them.  The only way to get rid of those fighters would have been to kill them by flying off the table or wait for the enemy to helpfully shoot them down.  Either way you are making the feedback rolls.

Drone rules are pathetically based on sheer luck.  In small games a few bad rolls can remove your ability to relaunch at all while in large games you need to spam drones to ensure a reliable launch pool.

I quite agree with you, sadly I don't have the rule book to hand, however I am sure it says in there they can voluntarily ditch, which is what we did. Maybe we were wrong.

Veldrain has it right. 2.0 has no way to voluntary ditch, so u just have to leave em in AA range and hope ur friendly foe will shoot em down for u.

Having said that, I've not seen anything to say that u can't shoot em down yourself .... still triggering the 4+ roll tho :(

Nope.  Targeting rules specify enemy at all times.  You can't even target prized models to prevent the extra VP. 

It's either death by enemy, or off the table (which kills anything).

Even aerial mines and particle accelerators (two of the very few weapons that could hit your own models) ignore SAS.