Benchpresser

Core Nation Expansion Box Blog up!!

34 minutes ago, Presidente said:

Jeez, is that Eotbs ship a ship or huge floating train thing.....

Lol at this point, could anyone be really suprised that they wouldn't just bring the whole train yard?! :D 

I know there is a lot to digest here, but perhaps I can get some additional renders up later. The Toyokawa, bloated as it is, has a ton of incredibly cool details that are really lost from the single pic presented.

Happy Speculating!

-Mike

I really like all of the new ships. Even the Toyokawa takes the train vibe to the next level of insanity! It'll look fantastic painted up.

The only disappointing aspect is the addition of bunting on the Providence. As weird and wonderful as some of the other models are, they still retain the basic design elements of their nation. Adding frilly cake decorations and handfuls of giant stars to the new FSA ships changes the whole look of the new models.  My friends daughter saw a pic of the Calico I was showing him: "It's pretty!" was the first thing she said. Pretty. It's weapon of war. Ok, a tiny model of a weapon of war, but still...

The stars I can tolerate, but what what folk are forgetting is that unless you're a gun painter these banners are gonna look fugly. Freehand stripes? yay. Not. FSA flags? Only if you're insane!

Having spent hundreds of $ on my fleet over the years, I'll be annoyed (to say the least) if every new offering is slathered in design elements taken from a high-school ball.

Spartan: Please remove it. I know some folk like the bunting, but they liked (and collected) the FSA prior to it being added - there or not, it'll make no difference to them in the end. Those who hate the bunting may get ticked off enough to stop buying.

New from the Forges of Antarctica!  Armoured Bunting!!!  It's decorative, it's Defensive! Just because you're getting outmaneuvered and plastered like a rowboat in a hurricane doesn't mean you can't look good doing it!!  Show your national pride as you go down to Davy Jones' Locker.... contact your Covenant ambassador and order today!

I don't see the big issue with the bunting.  Maybe its Fire Resistant bunting.

But more so, it is not in any place where it would cause problems.  It isn't over walkways or decking.  It is covering blank steel structure.

On the Calico you could paint it as a sort of camo (well water camo, not what most people traditionally think of as camo) to help obscure the bulk of the ship from enemy site.

It also seems really hard to complain about the impracticality of bunting on ships that use paddle-wheels.  From a military practicality standpoint that is far far worse and I don't see any complaints about that.  I know there was some real-life examples but they were also very short lived, and it is clear from every other nation that there are many other types of propulsion that could be used.

1 hour ago, Benchpresser said:

New from the Forges of Antarctica!  Armoured Bunting!!!  It's decorative, it's Defensive! Just because you're getting outmaneuvered and plastered like a rowboat in a hurricane doesn't mean you can't look good doing it!!  Show your national pride as you go down to Davy Jones' Locker.... contact your Covenant ambassador and order today!

*Rumours that these products are designed to better conduct energy through the hull plating and towards vulnerable systems are entirely unfounded :ph34r:*

A few questions:

With the advent of new core rules v2.5, Core expansions, Orbat adjustments etc - when are we likely to see these materialise in "resources"?

I know the Kickstarter is now closed to bolt-ons etc, and suspect that deliveries for backers must begin soon?

Any fixed dates on the Spartan calendar?

Will the core expansion boxes become available alongside the current boxed set collections?

aaaand final question.....

Will the CoA 'hunter flotilla' box be refitted with an appropriate large? (Since the Arronax hasn't been a naval option for a loooong time now?