Benchpresser

Core Nation Expansion Box Blog up!!

12 minutes ago, Benchpresser said:

I have to say... the Toyokawa Repair Vessel is the UGLIEST ship DW has made.....

I won't disagree with you.

The Dynasty however makes me very happy.  We finally get a new catamaran ship and it looks just as good as the Avenger.  That center has me concerned though.  Is it a modified Dominion being repaired?  Or did we just yoink the Dominion design and modify it to act as a bridge?

The Felshaw is still a fail for me.  A fuel drum in front of the tower and skewed definition of 'low silhouette'.

The Peregrine works.

As someone who has bought into a French fleet with this Kickstarter I am pleased with what this box contains: the sub and bayonne are both largely as expected, but no less good looking for that. Although the sub looks like both its mortars should be fixed channel fore and aft respectively. I wonder if it will have the same magic mortar mounting that the Sturmbringer has to give it 270 fire arcs?

Yeah, it's not the best looking launch system. Especially compared to some of the models out there. Could have been in-hull deployment bays, cranes, or racks perpendicular to the hull... but nope, amusement park swan boats it is.

Gotta say, every nation is a bit hit or miss- some more so than others. The KoB Dynasty and CoA Praxilla are sweet, but the poor EotBS...

I'm still pro-bunting.

I also hope they have removed the edge on the Animas Class Attack Submarine, they did it on everything else and it still doesn't look any good.

As for the Toyokawa Repair Vessel... it is a bad angle, there is no real feel for what it is actually going to look like.  I'm not sure why that was the view they picked to give us.

Providence Class Bombard Monitor looks good I really like it.  Of course I've noticed I'm drawn to those single giant guns on ships.

3 hours ago, Benchpresser said:

http://www.spartangames.co.uk/core-nation-expansion-boxes

I have to say... the Toyokawa Repair Vessel is the UGLIEST ship DW has made.....

It looks like at least half of the new models went through a "Mangler Cannon" on their way off the drawing board.

To me, a lot of the new ships, including the Crimson do-dads, look like the lower hull was modeled on an old fashioned clothes iron.  Not particularly appealing visually.

And most don't look like they belong in the existing fleets of the nations they are meant to expand.  There are a few ships, mostly submarines that I will purchase when they are available individually in a year or two.  Most will never grace any of my fleets.

Pity I don't play French that often, they are the most homogeneous looking expansion of the lot.

Lets hope the Allies and minor nations, when they are done, are not as dis-similar in hull design. (and the clothes iron has been been put down)

I'm not opposed to the Aussies getting a revamp that makes them look closer to the KoB like the Indian Raj does, to show a common heritage but in moderation.

28 minutes ago, Yamaguchi said:

Nice models!!

Finally a Light Cruiser for my Russians :lol:

Hear Hear.  Novgorods being backed up by these new Light Cruisers, no enemy smalls will be a problem for me anymore.  Curious about the stats for the new Magadan.  Nice to have a combat submarine back after the Peset-class was made into a support submarine a while back and Nikonov's "help" with the Deathbringer project.  The Mezan gun corvette is a head scratcher, curious how it will be worked out in stats to where it isn't a default replacement for the Rostov.  Any teases or more information on the Murmansk Repair Vessel or the Sea Fortresses since we are already glued to the toy shop window, drooling on ourselves with excitement like a kid before Christmas?

The Avenger has long been one of my favourite models for the KoB, it seems like the perfect example of british bodging! I am very happy to see another model design along the same lines. I am not quite sold on the KoB medium carrier model... just seems a little too tall. Probably better in the flesh (resin) than in render form though. And Awww, we have a diddy little doncaster!

CoA... I actually really like the menedaius hull. It seems to fit the aesthetic of ships like the Aristotle and Diophantus, but with a less sleek and more stolid feel. They even built an on-board log flume for the crew! (Hmm? Whats that? That launches craft during battle? Pull the other one, it has bells on!). I still feel the praxilla should have a more fearsome looking long lance like the land bombard version, but it is a nice sleek model and the first real CoA submarine, so it might be the start of a whole new aesthetic there. Theon interceptor looks a tad weird. The offspring of a forced mating between a Capek and a Ptolemy. I reserve judgement on this one.

Of the other (much much less interesting) factions I really like the FSA battleship (especially since it is not a scaled up or down version of the usual FSA design philosophy) the Russian light cruiser (Russia really struggles to do 'light' it would seem!) and the prussian drive-the-gun-onto-the-boat battleship.

But dear lord... that EotBS monstrosity... Its like playing a game of spot the design element. It even seems to have an old KoB hull at the front (complete with slope, panel lines and two random dots at the front). I think that one may need a little more looking at. Perhaps taking the Sokatsu battleship train profile and going wide rather than tall...

"But dear lord... that EotBS monstrosity... Its like playing a game of spot the design element. It even seems to have an old KoB hull at the front (complete with slope, panel lines and two random dots at the front). I think that one may need a little more looking at. Perhaps taking the Sokatsu battleship train profile and going wide rather than tall..."

With a little luck we may see a guardian generator on something other than a Dreadbot.

8 minutes ago, Lord Nobody said:

"But dear lord... that EotBS monstrosity... Its like playing a game of spot the design element. It even seems to have an old KoB hull at the front (complete with slope, panel lines and two random dots at the front). I think that one may need a little more looking at. Perhaps taking the Sokatsu battleship train profile and going wide rather than tall..."

With a little luck we may see a guardian generator on something other than a Dreadbot.

Why would you need one of those? Don't all your ships have shields?

Of course, we have one anyway.

DWCA54-2.jpg

Not as much fun as target painting a Blazing Sun battleship and slinging torps from an angle other than perfectly head on will be, of course.