Sign in to follow this  
level9red

Prussians vs Black Wolf 1250 points

So I've finally got around to writing up a battle report on a blog of some sort no less. We only managed two turns up I was fun and bloody. 

https://level9red.wordpress.com/2017/01/22/dw-battle-prussians-vs-black-wolf-icy-waters/

hopefully more will go up as they happen and I might manage some photos of previous fights if I can find them. 

Nice! I haven't touched scenarios all that much, and maybe I should. Arminius always scare me, they're horrible little frigates. Curious to see that you hate the dilation field so much: it activates before firing, so while it can protect a flank, it also blocks any field of view for the side that activates it... I've found it really hard to meaningfully use it. Maybe a few more practice rounds.

Nice playthrough!

Thank you. Black Wolf certainly do the smash part of smash and grab very well. They have some toys that can help them with some of the Ironclad scenarios, which is why I've tended to face them, or at least bits of them as allies, regularly. 

MFO is very good at positioning and has practiced lots with the dilation gen. He tends to have the front of the model poking out so in the case of the Nemesis its front turret can fire outside the field but it's centre point is hidden. The other one he used to block a flank from shooting the Manticore and Furies but was focused on boarding so the impact on his firepower was less troublesome for him. 

Scenarios do change the nature of the game and Ironclad ones are good. Several of them involve protecting something, a fort, cargo ships etc. The dilation field does help with this a lot, especially coupled with a guardian gen. 

Since the Black Friday sale I also have some Black Wolf so their trickery will be mine now too!! Possibly paired with Raj...

8 hours ago, level9red said:

MFO is very good at positioning and has practiced lots with the dilation gen. He tends to have the front of the model poking out so in the case of the Nemesis its front turret can fire outside the field but it's centre point is hidden.

We have had "discussions" about this tactic in the rules forum.  General consensus is that it doesn't work the way your friend thinks it does,  The generator only states model, not weapons, so if the model is affected then everything on it is affected.    Just because one weapon is out of the field does not mean it is exempt.

We have however never gotten any official ruling on this shenanigans so make of it what you will.

This is true, the general opinion was that it affects model rather than weapon placement, however the outcome of that interpretation is that a model would only have to be clipped by a dilation field to gain protection, vastly increasing the defensive opportunities of the dilation field by making it a lot easier to claim protection (and its use as an 'offensive' generator. Some dilation ships are fast enough to dart into an enemy fleet and lay down a dilation field where an enemy dreadnought or other heavy hitter could not avoid being at least slightly covered by the template. It really is a most devilish generator, and I don't even use it as a boarding tool to halve ack-ack which I have seen suggested a few times on here).

I see the merits of both interpretations, and by wording I would generally agree with you Veldrain... but I see far too many ways it could be abused through that interpretation. It is the strongest defensive generator in the game bar none, but also the hardest to use effectively. It relies on that difficulty of use, without that it is teetering well over the edge of broken. Thus I go with the minority interpretation, and occasionally poke turrets out of the front of the template to shoot things with.

As Thamoz pointed out both sides of the argument have extreme shenanigans.  My group house ruled it depending on half of ship.  If the ship is 50% or more covered it gains the benefits but it's own weapons suffer regardless of location.  If it is less than 50% it is not affected at all.  Any shot that has to pass through the template itself to reach a ship on the other side is blocked as normal. 

Fun fact if your opponent won't comprise:  Fixed channel weapons don't care about hitting the three points on a ship.  A Nemesis that pokes it's nose out far enough to clear the front turret leaves more than enough hull visible for Orion destroyers to easily line up their tiny fixed channels.  And solitary batlecruisers who have gimped their own CC are perfect victims for ~15 AD of torpedoes.