Sign in to follow this  
Mephiston

What happens if both sides lose all AP in a boarding action.

So yesterday we had the following situation come up.

Two Prussian frigates initiated a boarding action against a single KOB frigate.

AA fire managed to take down two of the boarders.

In the combat the Prussians killed 1 AP worth, with the KOB killing 3 AP worth, leaving no AP remaining on either side.

The question is what happens now? Are all the ships derelict as they have no AP remaining. Or is only the KOB frigate derelict? Or something else? We looked at the rules but couldn't see the answer.

Thanks.

You'll find the answer your looking for in the chart on pg80 of the digi admiral edition.

basically, if both sides get wiped out in a boarding action, the Defender suffers Sabotage(Critical Hit) and the Attacker suffers no consequences other than losing all the AP committed to the boarding action.  

Well, the combat still takes place on the defending ship, leaving some collateral damage. It also somewhat justifies the risk of boarding (i.e. being counter boarded) by sending Your marines through hellish AA fire on enemy ships.

Gentlemen,

Here's another "twist" on AP being wiped out in a boarding action, that came up last Saturday, and which generated a "lively" discussion.  I had meant to post it up - but had forgotten until I saw this thread.

2 Danish corvettes with 4 AP board a Chinise BATTLESHIP that still has all its AP.  (The corvettes were going to die!)

One boarder is lost to Ack Ack - so the Danes roll 3 dice and kill 4 Chinese marines.

The Chinese conscripts in reply wipe out all the Danish borders - BUT HAVE LOST MORE THAN THEY INFLICTED.

So the question was - and is - because the attackers inflicted more casualities than they suffered, do they still get to sabotage the battleship, even though there are no surviving Danes?

Cheers guys.

You would have inflicted a sabotage result. The rulebook makes no distinction between the attacker rolling more hit and needing to have AP left afterwards.  You just have to have more hits than your opponent. It's as simple as that.

The table on page 80 makes it clear.

As one of the Spartan reps explained it, (paraphrased) doing more kills/successes gives an idea of how far the attackers made it in the attack. In this case they probably made it pretty far into the ship and destroyed a lot in the process, probably even setting up explosive charges. It was all the defenders could do to kill them but they didn't have the time/momentum to clear them before major damage was done. So a sabotage result.

Also worth noting in this case that you count all successes, not just the number of AP killed.

Thank you gentlemen, that all appears to be clear on the "sabotage" roll - and I must admit, I did miss the "if any survive" bit in the descriptive part of the table.  

So helpful.  I do need to ask now, Erloas, when you mentioned you count all successes, not just the number of AP killed, that on page 79, para 5. "Determine the Victor!" that the book states:

"Once all Boarding Action Attack Dice have been rolled, compare the number of AP Hits inflicted by both sides (not including excess Hits that were lost) and consult the table on Page 80."

That would suggest otherwise?

Cheers guys

I will admit I mostly looked at the table and missed that bit.

What I was thinking is that if just one or two AP attacked and rolled a 6 they could do more hits than the defender could possibly do back (3 hits from 2 attacking AP means the defenders can't possibly match hits if only AP removed is counted).

Which doesn't make sense but seems to be the way it is written.

Edit: thinking about it a bit more I see why, if you count over hits then assigning defenders doesn't mean much. If you stop one group and leave a second to run wild you will get a sabotage, which makes sense.

Just one of those cases where there are too many unlikely but possibly outcomes and trying to write them all into the rules would make them too complicated and hard to follow.