Sign in to follow this  
Ruckdog

Ruckdog's Prussian Fleet Modernization

Hi all! I'm starting in on painting some more re-reinforcements for my Prussian fleet. I finally picked up the new naval box, and need to get some of it painted for Adepticon next month. I've already got plenty of smalls painted, so I'm going to focus on the Elbe, Kaiser Karl, and the Uhlans. Here they are ready for priming!

855061_sm-.JPG

Made some progress this week; I got them primed, drybrushed, and started in on the decking:

856587_sm-.JPG

On 2/6/2017 at 8:23 PM, coloradog1 said:

Any chance you could post details of the paints, primer, wash, etc. that you use as you go?

Sure! I didn't see your post until I had already taken these pics, but I'll take some of the materials I've been using for you next time. Suffice to say, what I've done so far is to prime black, then dry brush in three progressively lighter shades of grey. The decks are being base-coated in a tanish brown (GW's old Vomit Brown, to be exact).

20 hours ago, Ruckdog said:

Made some progress this week; I got them primed, drybrushed, and started in on the decking:

856587_sm-.JPG

Sure! I didn't see your post until I had already taken these pics, but I'll take some of the materials I've been using for you next time. Suffice to say, what I've done so far is to prime black, then dry brush in three progressively lighter shades of grey. The decks are being base-coated in a tanish brown (GW's old Vomit Brown, to be exact).

Awesome. Appreciate the information.

I got the decking painted, and started washing some of them. I used to use Devlan Mud for this task, but for these I'm trying out the Army Painter Strong Tone, and it seems to be doing the job.

858418_sm-.JPG

This shot shows the difference that the wash makes to the appearance of the deck:

858419_sm-.JPG

My new Prussian units are coming along:

860554_sm-.JPG

860555_sm-.JPG

The decks  have all been washed, and I've started picking out some of the piping, coil details, and other detail bits with silver and copper metallic paints. The turret roofs are red, and are getting a red wash to darken them down some.

Looking fantastic! Coming along very well indeed!

Very cold and functional looking. Menacing and very "Prussian"!

Great weathering and highlights on the decks, also I am quite fond of the bold red you are using for the turrets.

This is going to be one hell of a great looking fleet when it is all polished off!

Keep up the great work! :)

-Mike

This batch of Prussians is all finished up!

862198_sm-.JPG

Kaiser Karl Heavy Battleship:

862199_sm-.JPG

With options for a Tesla generator or a Calcification generator!

862207_sm-.JPG

862206_sm-.JPG

Elbe-class fleet carrier:

862201_sm-.JPG

There was so much detail under the flight deck, I decided to magnetize it so that it could be removed to show all that detail off:

862203_sm-.JPG

Light carriers:

862204_sm-.JPG

This Hussar-class gunship has been half-done for years now. I finally finished it off!

862205_sm-.JPG

Destroyers:

862208_sm-.JPG

On 3/7/2017 at 4:16 AM, Spartan Mike said:

Well done yet again sir!

-Mike

Thank you!

On 3/7/2017 at 11:12 AM, McKinstry said:

Nice work and the use of the FAT mat really compliments the photography.

Thank you, too! I am a big fan of the FAT mats.