We're moving to Discord!

Come join in the discussion here!

You can also still find out all the latest news on TWITTER and FACEBOOK

Thank you for your continued support, and we look forward to welcoming you shortly.

The Warcradle Team

Lord Nobody

New BB's for France,CoA and Russia

That is much better. Cr11 is seriously the best thing about the Emperor. The loss of the 1cr was my main gripe with the model. The extra speed was also something that I thought the model lacked. I'd of preferred a flat 8" move, but advanced engines is a good compromise.

That might get used a number of times now. But I feel ill still stick with the Emperor, as it's always rewarded my faith in it many times over. Loyalty is important I think.

Edit: oh while your at editing model stats, any chance you could turn the Chinese dragon into a Low Level Flyer? It needs a bit more defensive love and this would be awesome visually too.

38 minutes ago, Lerriano said:

So the emperor is totally worthless now then?

Not necessarily. The Emperor is still in the middle of both marks. And in my opinion it was always a better boarding platform than a shooting platform. Let the others be the shooter and the support. The Emperor can still be the boarder.

10 minutes ago, Presidente said:

Well id imagine the old battleships will get rolled into the new stats eventually like firestorm, so at least people can still use old models:)

If/when they do that, I would at least hope the Eider stats get an extra variant that mixes the turrets with tesla broadsides. At the very least that will do the Emperor some justice....and allow players more modularity with the prussian kit. Some like the tesla tower and some like the broadside one.

I really really want to avoid spoiling the surprises that this inspiring Battle Cruiser has been augmented with... We should be going live with the final downloads and a blog-post in "hopefully" just a few hours away.

The blog will dialogue the changes and my design concepts for all the first wave Modular BBs and I hope you all find it interesting and a fun read!

-Mike

Derp! Totally meant the BattleCARRIER!

lol Sorry about that confusion! I am going a bit cross-eyed from my furious revising and editing on a number of projects! :wacko:

My Design Notes Blog Post and the revised stats are being posted Saturday Morning, so hopefully some of you folks can enjoy them over the weekend!

Can't wait to see everyone's reaction to them!

-Mike

Loving all this chat, with a glass of Glenmorangie in my hand.

Get of to bed shortly, and who knows what cracking new postings (with BIG hints to stats) might be awaiting in the morning!

And just had an epic 7 turn (yes, that's right - seven) game with my buddy this afternoon.  Most of our games finish T3 / T4.

And gaming most of the weekend!  Who said Feb sucks!!!

@Lerriano I can imagine almost no situation where an Emporer could be considered redundant?! That is a seriously solid ship as many have mentioned above!

Sorry you feel that progressively trying to build new models with updated rules isn't as rewarding for you. I assure you, I am putting in a lot of effort to try to balance all the new ships so that the older "veteran" Battleships still retain a strong degree of desirability.

One of the many important objectives of good unit design is hard choices. I want to make a player face a hard choice when presented with all the options available, fitting the size and role of every vessel I work on. While I have yet to get to work updating older models form each ORBAT, I would like the think that I have crafted a good balance in this recent update to the new modular BBs and hopefully presented you all with some hard choices to come along with some incredible new units!

I am eagerly awaiting my bloodbath tomorrow! ;)

-Mike

So since it is almost past morning here in continental Europe I'm eagerly awaiting the new blog and revised stats on the Wave 1 Modular Battleships.

I'm still wondering though, are the Mk1 Mississippi, Eider and Maginate intended to be direct replacements of the older ships? I.e. can I use my Emperor and my pair of Independences as a Mk1 Eider and Mk1 Mississippi's? I Thought Neil said so much to me in an email conversation we had on these ships.

@Nicius Hopefully Mr. Neil gets on those web gremlins and has them fire up my blog soon! I'm waiting up anxiously for it to land and it's half past three am here in sunny California!

Im just too excited!

The new modular battleships are a spiritual evolution of the original tried and true classic battleships. We designed the Mk1s for each respective nation in the first four offering to have a very familiar feel to them, so that they can naturally be seen as a nation updating and evolving the concept that has become dated as the Great Conflict has evolved. They needed to change and become modernized in order to better take the field as the war swells with devastation and technology, yet they would still hold close to the original concepts that have proven tried and true for these national doctrines.

Storycraft and gameplay aside, the other very important reason for this was the state of the models physically. The designs are dated, and while they are still amazing looking ships, they certainly don't hold much weight visually when standing next to the more modern models in each fleet. Proportions are completely wrong and style has changed and been updated for a variety of hallmark components. Additionally, the questionable state of the master molds themselves has raised concerns that these olds versions would be challenging to reproduce with the standard for quality that is being demanded in manufacturing.

Taking all of these factors together, it created an amazing chance to produce these new ships  and hit all the birds with one solid stone! And we are rather enthusiastic with the results!

In regards to your personal question and conversations with Neil, I cannot see any rational reason why a player couldn't use older existing models to represent the exciting new Mk1s! However a word of caution, some of these ships have a few different physical weapon loadouts, slightly different than the original BBs, which may possibly add some confusion to an opponent during gameplay and I would recommend prior to the game ensuing, you inform your buddy (or nemesis!) of such a situation! (The Eider for example lacks the Tesla Secondary Weaponry on its Aft and Broadsides differing from the Emporer, and as you will see in the upcoming blog, the Mississippi lacks any Aft gunnery at all!)

I hope this long winded, dark hour explanation has been helpful to you!

-Mike

@Spartan Mike

Thanks for you reply! I'm greatly looking forward to your blog and I much enjoy your interaction with the community. It has been a while since we've had some feedback directly from Spartan, so it is great to see this happening with the new kickstarter and release of the modular battleships.

I own three extensive Dystopian fleets (Prussians, which are my primary fleet, French and American) so I'm exited about the new models and rules. I usually play only against a regular opponent, so I guess I can use the models as proxies. 

I can see the rationale behind the update in the models (being an Engineer myself). I was wondering, does this mean your also looking at updating the other older models (Prussian & American light cruisers, the Imperium, etc.)?

Hope Neil finds those gremlins soon!

@NiciusYet another excellent question with a whole bunch of answers!

While most of the existing range is in great shape physically and statistically, I have some really cool concepts that I am pushing for updating a few of the other models that sit in the "questionable" category.

It is in the early planning stages ATM, so I cannot divulge my details yet, perhaps another blog for the future, but I would like to make an explicit note here that it does infact involve a total involvement of the public and our fans!

Checking out for a few hours, I think my brain might be well fried! :lol:

-Mike

12 hours ago, Spartan Mike said:

@Lerriano I can imagine almost no situation where an Emporer could be considered redundant?! That is a seriously solid ship as many have mentioned above!

Sorry you feel that progressively trying to build new models with updated rules isn't as rewarding for you. I assure you, I am putting in a lot of effort to try to balance all the new ships so that the older "veteran" Battleships still retain a strong degree of desirability.

One of the many important objectives of good unit design is hard choices. I want to make a player face a hard choice when presented with all the options available, fitting the size and role of every vessel I work on. While I have yet to get to work updating older models form each ORBAT, I would like the think that I have crafted a good balance in this recent update to the new modular BBs and hopefully presented you all with some hard choices to come along with some incredib

I can't figure out why I'd bring an Emperor. They have the same boarding capability while the Eider MK1 has better counter boarding.

The Eider has Advanced Engines, Close Quarters Gunnery, Piercing Turrets to cripple the target on the way in, would get the Calcification generator for free, as well as high angle broadsides if needed.

The Emperor has a modest Tesla secondary attack but decreased broadside that will struggle to hurt anything. The Tesla to the sides and back doesn't make it better in boarding because the ship can't attack the same target it boards. The Piercing Turrets are more likely to get Hard Poundings on the target on the way in.

The Emperor is redundant because the Eider is a better shooting support vessel and better at close range combat with both gunnery and boarding.

Hmm... Well, there is nothing wrong with a ship being catagorically better than another ship in the orbat so long as the points cost reflect the difference in such a way that both are a valid choice between better-but-pricey or worse-but-cheaper. 

I do not envy having to provide good internal balance between the old battleships and the mk1 new ones which are essentially armed with mostly the same weapons and fill mostly the same role. Especially if the old battleship stats cannot or will not be altered. 

That said, the mk2s all seem quite viable now.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.