Sign in to follow this  
Cannor

The Future of Planetfall. What does "support" really mean?

People often say that they want to see better support for Planetfall, but what does "support" actually mean? The idea of support is hazy without some clarification of what it means within the context of Planetfall. So, this is what support means to me.

1. A new edition. Planetfall has been neglected for some time, and a second edition would be an opportunity to draw a line in the sand and move on from the missteps of 1.0. Gather up the rulings hidden throughout the forums and use them as a guideline on what to test, what players might misinterpret in the new edition. Find the most frequently criticised parts of 1.0, and ensure that 2.0 doesn't tread the same ground. Playtest and try to break the game.

2. Faction rebalance. Take on board what people said about factions in 1.0, and look at how they could be improved in 2.0. Do a survey if necessary. Through all the comments and criticism, trends will begin to emerge which can serve as guides, or at the very least you'll get a more focused picture of how people generally feel about one faction or another. Also, ensure that every weapon, ability and, indeed, unit has a unique name from others in both Planetfall and Armada. (Aquan Stingray, I'm looking at you!)

3. A solid release schedule. After 2.0 drops, what will the next X months of releases look like? It needs to be consistent, make sense, and keep people excited about what's coming next. Give everyone something to talk about. Also, be sure to actually release those products on time. Nobody wants to go through another (Halo) dropship episode.

4. Organised play materials. This means reasonably-priced tournament packs similar to those that Halo and Dystopian got, and updates such as FAQs with rules clarifications where needed. With FAQs in particular, look at where the game is every 3-6 months and update if necessary, or just let us know that no update is needed. Let's end the days of rules answers forever buried in the forums.

5. Frequent updates. This could be scenario building such as Flashpoint Amber, or just a peek behind the curtain to show off something in the works. The general vibe should be something like, "Guys, we're really excited about this. Here, take a look!"

6. Background. The most glaring hole in the Firestorm franchise. The Amber narrative seemed like it could have gone somewhere, but it was left in limbo due to no follow up after the first two blog posts. Flesh out the galaxy and make us care about why our armies are fighting, but keep it consistent so that new fluff doesn't contradict old fluff.

That's what support for Planetfall means to me: a laser-like focus on getting things right and rebuilding trust.

How about you?

Frequent updates and solid release schedule is rarely going to be a factor for Spartan products.  A company of their size is only ever capable of focusing on a few of their products at a time, resulting in release and development always seeming to shift from favoring Halo Ground and Fleet, to Dystopian Wars and Legions, to Firestorm Armada and Planetfall.  So you'll always get x number of months out of the year where your particular invested product gets you hyped, followed by a long lull while the fans of the other product get their turn.

I play so many wargames at the moment that the frequency of new releases isn't a big deal to me.  If new editions and some new stuff are in the works then that's good enough for me on that front, but I would like to see some kind of organized play for both Firestorm games.  Of course, making organized play rules and documents is one thing, but getting some kind of community around it would require that the Vanguard program become something a bit closer to a Privateer Press Pressganger in scope and function (right now it seems more like the love child of pressganger and infernal)

I think one of the problems will be with every new release no matter which system it is for takes up resources.Not just to playtest new games/units but to get things into production.I can imagine that the production side of things does not allow for lots of new releases as that would reduce the amount of stock that they can build for each release.

Have things set in stone like what will be out and when does not work well with lots of companies.Given the fact that there are several different games on there books must make it hard to decide what and where to put there resources.

The one thing i would say is they need to be more active on the forums and facebook too.This is needed to engage people and keep them interested.

If you play the games maybe you could devise some scenarios to play and post them up.Even force lists and such or how about Merc units to use in games?You could use units from different factions to give a different feel to games.

Terrain for each of the games would be great to see too.

I would also like more background on the Firestorm Universe.That would be great for me as i collect the Planetfall range.