knightperson

Somebody convince me to use Jabri

I put a lot of effort into painting my Jabri regular infantry, but I rarely seem to use them. The command spire, which I also have, should mitigate their morale problems, but I find the heavy infantry from the recon helix are so much better. I've tried using Jabri as the garrison on my home objective, but since they can't overwatch it isn't that useful. Their drop pods, especially now that they don't have Assault Vehicle, are significantly easier to kill, and even with the cheaper cost I just don't see the value in them. Does anybody use them successfully? 

I don't know anybody in my circle who even plays Relthoza anymore. 

In practice, they're awful, and served no purpose except to fill required slots and provide the enemy with victory points.

I still dig the Relthoza as an army, but there are some models like the Jabri that I just don't much like. The entire Heavy Helix is the other main example. I believe this to be a temporary problem, however. Spartan Games has shown a willingness to adjust the stats for balance on occasion in the past (the last one was not quite a year ago), and I think they will fix this eventually. I hope they don't mess up the Salamas when they do!

I tried a couple of Jabri spires in a 5000 point game last weekend, and I'm afraid my opinion of them has only gotten worse. Admittedly, my opponents dice were running hot and he got the timing right to unload his leviathan at one the spires when it came down, but even considering that their performance was dismal. Both pods, and both squads inside, died before doing anything! The leviathan hit one spire so hard that the overflow killed every single base inside, with room to spare. The second pod died to something else, overflow killed six of the eight, and I couldn't score six successes on three dice. 

I did think of another possible strategy though. Skip the pods and deploy them normally. Especially against another drop pod force, basically pretend they are caltrops. Spread out around the drop sites and hope to force a Skydrop scatter, or send them forward into death, but force my opponent to at least spend a few activations dealing with them. It's a cold-blooded thing to do, but hey, we're spiders, right???

I realize that biology probably dictates that Relthoza are actually warm blooded since an advanced brain requires it, but that doesn't mean our tactics have to be! 

There are 2 relthoza players in my area that use jabri to good effect. There are issues with infantry i feel everyone has, the biggest problem being you can't leave a transport to immediately enter a building unless there is an enemy unit to storm.

The way I've seen them used is to drop them in spires as the last activations for a turn, storm if you can, if not have them as the first activations the next turn to get into primary objective buildings.

Infantry in buildings are generally a pain to remove.

Jabris are not Nyx, so dropping them into the thick of things might not work well as a general tactic. Have you tried using your bigger bugs to block LOS to the landing zones, drop the spires, and pour infantry bases out behind them? Might be a bit hard to hide from the Elevated Leviathan, but I guess if it is shooting the Spire then it isn't shooting the big bugs trying to screen it...

While an effective way to screen them, I'm not sure that actually makes them particularly useful.  If they're coming down behind your front lines, you might as well have sent them in on foot to tag along and saved the cost of a spire.  Jabri used to be the Relthoza version of artillery in that they'd crash in, hit something for decent damage, and die.  You usually only got one usefully large strike.  Now they do...not much?  I'm pretty sure the points are generally better used elsewhere, save perhaps for a single unit to camp your home objective or to fill in odd point numbers that don't fit more useful squads.  I just don't see them being superior (or equal, really) to using the points on a different option.

Your points are valid, and I do admit that what I am proposing is easier said than done. Perhaps I should not have used the word "behind". I'll rephrase to say putting the LOS blocking bigger bugs in between the drop site and the potential threat. Theoretically, if you can isolate an area that doesn't have much or any enemy activations left in it, then your chances of actually doing something with the Jabri go way up.

That being said, you could probably be spending your points more efficiently on other Take&Hold squadrons. :(

Arranging for LOS to be blocked to the spire's arrival location is an interesting idea. I might play around with it, but I have a feeling that's going to be pretty hard to set up even with a zeroed in drop marker. 

Yeah, I picked up a second recon helix a while back, so my "other take and hold" squadrons tend to be four pods of heavy infantry. I try to hold them until fairly late in the turn also, and that's even more important with the lighter pods. I'm a bit rusty in managing the timing of my activations, which is a major part of the game. 

And somehow, I missed that the heavy infantry lost Fearless in the last update, which was over a year ago. I must have thought that we got kicked in the teeth so hard with everything else that they wouldn't have messed with our only good objective taker! They're still a better choice than Jabri, but the Fearless bubble from the spire is now more important than I thought it was. 

Unfortunately without Assault vehicle the only reason I take Jabri is for the spires so that the spires can act as drone nexus' for my light tanks. Which they are good at if you can get the Jabri out of the tower. As for dropping the tower behind cover, it could work, especially if you don't intend to use the infantry for anything except objective claiming.

Since 2.0 seems to be letting Relthoza units have some of their range back, I'm hopeful that at least the Jabri tower will get Assault Vehicle back. I can understand why the Heavy infantry tower lost it but the Jabri tower losing it and gaining nothing in it's place never made any sense to me.

11 hours ago, knightperson said:

It's also possible that assault vehicle, like storming cqb, gets rolled into command points so whether the transport has it or not becomes much less important. 

That would actually be really interesting, I'd love to see them do something along those lines. Though I could see issues with it allowing infantry in general to be too fast. As you point out there are several ways they could address the issue. The Relthoza in general seem to be getting a pretty fair shake from 2.0 so far, so we will see what happens.

12 hours ago, knightperson said:

It's also possible that assault vehicle, like storming cqb, gets rolled into command points so whether the transport has it or not becomes much less important. 

What make you think this will happen? And why would it become a command/order? Assault Veh IMO is about accessibility of said vehicle not how much you shout at the troops inside and getting out isn't particularly special action like Storming CQB or move to secure. 

That's a wild guess based on the teaser released a few weeks ago. Since storming CQB and disembark/embark on the same activation might be done with command points, it makes sense that "get out of the spire before it gets blown up" might too. But I don't have any more information to support my theory than you do.