Zephyr Station

GenCon 2017

Hello all,

This year I am looking at organizing two events for Firestorm at GenCon 50.   I am looking at one event on Wednesday, and a second event at some other time during the Con, probably on Thursday night.  For the Wednesday game, I would like to play something big, >1500 points.  Last year we did a 1000 point event for the Thursday game.   I'd like some feedback on what game sizes people would like to play on either night.   These would both be single games, not a tournament format.

What do you think?  How many of you are tentative to attend this year?

I'm hoping that I can get scheduled for Wednesday night.  Depends somewhat on my flight schedule, but probably start around 4-5 and end whenever.  "Official" space is limited to Union Station, but we could get a pickup game probably anywhere.  I've never run an event on Wed, so I'm not sure how difficult it is to get a spot in that schedule. I'm interested in doing 1500 points/person.  I'm open to suggestions for format, scenario, etc.

For Thursday, I'm going to go for the same block as last year, from 6 PM -10 PM.  That seemed to work out well.  A little smaller than Wednesday, around 1000 points.

Last year I had slots for 8 players.  Is there a need to schedule seats for more players?

I will be there again this coming year. I can bring Terrain to help out :)

If Neil and company follows what we did last year there will be some learn to play sessions possibly at night after the Exhibition hall closes. 

Other than that if there is anything I or we can do to help let me know B)

This is what I'm going to submit:

Wed (5:00 PM), 1500 points per fleet; variation of Scenario 4, Hold the waypoints.

Thurs (6:00 PM), 1000 points; variation of System Wars scenario 9, Planetary Reinforcement.

We shouldn't have an issue with getting a Thursday night slot.  I don't know how much competition there is for Wednesday slots.  I'll reserve space for 8 players each night.

As for rules, for now we're going to use the 2nd edition ruleset.  Might go with 3rd Edition, depending on where it stands prior to August.  The event is pretty casual, so any skill level is welcome to attend.

Edited by Toxic_Rat
event times added

If you have issues getting Space ,Once Neil and I talk about our plan I will coordinate with you about events to make sure we don't overlap. I would like to direct players to events already scheduled :-)

2 minutes ago, Spartan Linde said:

If you have issues getting Space ,Once Neil and I talk about our plan I will coordinate with you about events to make sure we don't overlap. I would like to direct players to events already scheduled :-)

Thanks!   I have the events submitted for early consideration, so now it's just wait and see how it goes.

So I received confirmation of my two Firestorm events from Gencon today:

Wednesday, August 16, 5:00 PM.  1500 pt fleets.  Event ID: NMN17103639

Thursday, August 17, 6:00 PM.  1000 pt fleets.  Event ID:  NMN17103637

The event catalog goes live this Sunday.   Registration at the end of the month.   See you in August!

Hi @Toxic_Rat,

Just purchased my GenCon Event Ticket for Operation Aurum Draco and I had a few questions about the scenario rules:

1. Are their two Ground Forces on the planet, one for your side and one for your opponents? It is not clearly stated.
  2. Can you use Boarding Actions to attack the enemy Ground Forces? If so, are their special rules (like in Scenario 9) or what is the AP, PD and CP of the enemy ground forces?
  3. What is the Battle Log adjustment if you destroy the enemy ground forces after they destroyed yours?

Looking forward to the event!

Welcome aboard!   

Good questions.  I've updated the rules document, but here are some answers for you:

1. There are two ground forces, one for each side.  These are not directly controlled by either player.  You're a Naval Admiral, not a Planetfall general for this event. :)

2.  No.  AP can be used to reinforce troops on the ground, but this will result in permanent reduction in a ship's AP value.  I've added a scenario MAR to the battle.  All ships gain the Orbital Bombardment MARDuring the Combat Segment of its activation, and when within 4” of a planetoid, this ship may fire its weapons at a planetoid.  Resolve this attack in the same fashion as an attack against an enemy ship.  Other ships in the squadron may link fire only if they are also within 4” of the planetoid.  Critical hits will inflict 2 HP damage; ignore any other effects from a successful critical.

3.  There is no battle log adjustment (up or down) if you manage to reduce the enemy ground force to 0 after your own has been eliminated.  Only the first player to do so gets this bonus.

Mike

"permanent reduction in a ship's AP value" means what exactly? You count as having launched your boarding assault for the game? Your AP is now 0?

Please define to avoid confusion.

Good catch, I'll add it to the scenario rules.  Should have stated "During the Boarding Assault Segment" in the document.

Permanent reduction example:  Say a ship starts the game with 6 AP.  During the Boarding Assault Segment, and if it ends its activation within boarding assault range, it could choose to reduce its AP to 3 to increase the planetoid HP by 1.  Or AP to 0 to increase it by 2 HP.  This would not count as a 'boarding action' in terms of ship to ship boarding.  The AP transferred to the planet cannot be regained during the game, so the ship would use the reduced value of AP for later boarding assaults, reinforcements, etc.

If anyone's interested, I have submitted to run Planetfall demos for most of Friday at GenCon. I only submitted it a few days before registration opened so it hasn't been approved yet, but it probably will be official well before opening ceremonies.