Sign in to follow this  
Chief Mutt

Oroshan 1000 points vs Aquans

Really enjoying my new fleet but have a 1000 point fight against Aquans, so:

Dreadnought w/ WS,+2 Mv, Wings and HE Beams using support shuttles or interceptors

2 squads of cruisers, one w/ PH and one w/ HE beams

5 frigates

or swap the dread for the battlecarrier w/ WS, +2 Mv and 2 SRS

same cruisers, full squad of frigates and a full squad of OSO corvettes.

That's my dilemma.  I'm not worried about the fight and the cruisers, frigates and corvettes are well proven for me.  The Battlecarrier did well last time, too, but this is my first chance to use the Dread...

From M&M, page 2:

To construct a Marauder Fleet, you first need to select one of these to be your Core Faction. 

The Corvettes don't count as an Oroshan T3, so if you only have 5 Slayer Frigates, use the Regroup TAC Turn 1.  But Slayers are some of the best Frigates in the game, so getting more is a good thing.

The outcome...

Thank you Ryjak, went with two 3 frigate squads and regrouped.  Wasn't giving up my OSO 'vettes ;)

My opponent (my son) surprised me with a crazy build.  2 Battleships and a Battle cruiser squad, destroyer squad, frigate squad and a understrength snapper squad.  His second game and first look at Aquans.  He's hooked on them now ;)

My frigates were sacrificed tying up the battleships, he's learned that they are buggers when I flank with them.  I swept the destroyers and the snappers and one of the battlecruisers with the other crippled.  I lost one of my cruisers and my battlecarrier was down to one hull.  My corvettes had come in from reserve and I had lost one of them but they had taken out his frigates and were in a flanking position on the battleships.

At turn five, the battlelog was 7 to 1 my favor but...

One Battleship was hit for one point and the Admirals  was untouched and they were about to come around the central asteroid field into my two cruiser squads.  Yes, my corvettes were flanking but I'm not 100% sure that I'd have taken him without a lot of blood and store was closing so I called it a draw.

Next time will be much worse for me, my son has seen the evil that is Aquan ET :( and he knows that Aquans can't board but he knows I also have Terquai assault cruisers.  But then, I can just go back to Directorate B)

So it turns out that two Aquan Battleships can beat two squads of Oroshan Cruisers and a partial squad of OSO corvettes but it was very bloody ;)  Two hull and one crew remained on the lead BB when I conceded with two corvettes remaining.  I'd have done better had I not been so aggressive with the corvettes, lost most of those to mines :P  Put that down to impatience, I only got a couple hours of sleep last night.

It was fun settling the hypothetical scenario of who would have won last weeks game had we kept going.

Yes, you'd think I'd have been cognizant of that as much as I like my elusive smalls (OSO, Aquans and WR) and yet I ultimately started tailgating his last Battleship :(  Still in two games my son has the Aquans figured out and fully taken over what was my primary fleet. 

As much as I've enjoyed running my Oroshan fleet and I really want to run my new Dreadnought I think it might be time to go back to my Directorate and their nefarious allies.