Sniddy

What DOES 2017 hold

1 hour ago, gr1mdan said:

I still care very much about it, although that's down to our awesome scene in the UK, more than anything else. I can get games pretty much twice a week guaranteed with fantastic opponents and we have 2 (soon to be 3) very good tournaments a year with one racking up 20+ attendees. That side of FSA is what keeps me interested so much, but it's getting tougher and tougher to get new people in to it. In fact nigh on impossible because no where stocks it any longer. 

If I didn't have the above, I probably wouldn't be playing any more though.

1) whens the Notts/Mansfield one happening dude!
2) Whats/Whens the 3rd? Sluggaz?

//hype

On 1/25/2017 at 8:37 AM, Manu_S said:

Spartan is just giving us empty words but nothing in reality. Where is the FA Tournament Pack announced for June of 2016? Where is the new PF Allied Helix announced for 2016? Where are all the promises that you made bud did not fulfill?

The Tournament pack is undergoing approval and formatting.  

Planetfall and FSA are the priority.  The PF allied helix stuff has been on standby due to PF 2.0 development.  We are working on it right now.  In fact I was on skype with Neil this very night about it.

I understand the frustration.  Me telling you things are changing does not reassure you.  Which is why we are going to show people by action.  I personally am doing a lot of development work and getting things moving.  

On 1/25/2017 at 8:41 AM, Kaptyn Krys said:

To be positive, 2017 does hold Reading Warfare's 4th Firestorm Armada Tournament! (plug plug) I just asked today for 30 spaces. Fingers crossed I get the full lot! Mulling over scenario ideas already.

That is awesome to hear,  It is great to see event expansion and growth :-)

Mmm... hm. That's a thing we've already seen since how long ago? Wasn't there supposed to be a big campaign or something? Yeah...

Mr. Linde, I am rooting for you, don't get me wrong. But in the grand scheme of things, I can't really hold much optimism, and and you can't really blame me or anyone else for feeling that way. I really do want this to be the start of a newly turned leaf; it sounds like you believe it will be. Please prove it. Please. I would love to have some enthusiasm about Firestorm again.

Seen this Station and it's a big fail from me. :o
Given the size of it, it's just a big lump of VERY sparsley detailed resin. Where are all the Antenna, Dishes, texture, even practical things like the actual Docking ports, doors, weapons, anything. It's totally devoid of any detail. I'm currently putting together some of the Dropzone Stations (jump over to the Hobby Section) and compare the detail on these to this offering from Spartan. Not even taking into account the modularity of the DNC stations, and they're plastic. Size wise, this new offerring from Spartan is very impressive, and some new terrain (and hopefully some campaign / missions to go with it) is a welcome move and direction, but the model itself is awful.

The detail is totally lacking and a bit too Spartan (see what I did there). If anything, this is more akin to the MK1 Spaceships for FSA. The more recent models like the Xelocians are ooozing with detail, which sadly this station lacks.

Yeh got February news letter and died a little too 

Nothing till March as we were told - and that will be teasers most likely - rules wise - August

Locally FSA is circling the drain and being flushed soon, Planetfall  we're all getting tired of and no one wants to branch to a 2nd army currently... 

2 hours ago, StingrayP226 said:

I think you just found the best use of this model... It actually could work as a very crazy sci fi building...

latest?cb=20130424003615

I doubt I'm the first to think of this.

I also thought of Ragnar Anchorage from BSG, which is not a bad thing!

4 hours ago, Frans said:

What I dislike most about the station are those four pegs it's bolted perfectly perpendicular onto the tabletop with.

It looks like a planetside building, not something floating in space.

what a great idea.......hope you werent hoping for planetfall use.

While passionate discussions about the future releases coming down the pipe are always exciting, if even at times a degree of painful from the frustrations some of you might be experiencing with your expectations (warranted and understood as they are), I would like to implore you to move the conversation away from downright dumping on the company as a whole or in making overstatements about the employment options available to anyone working within the company. Not the topic, nor anything that will be tolerated.

Consider this a warning as well as a promise. You keep it a fun, as well as decent vent for your frustrations and I will make strong efforts to provide you all with some concrete answers and spoilers as I grow in my presence here with you all.

I know that communications have been a struggle at times, I have been on the same side as many of you in the past. But lets look to the new 2017 with fresh perspective and we can all enjoy some of the great new plans being set in action for our fans. I come here to bring back your excitement and to usher you all some positive energy for any and all things Spartan in 2017.

-Mike

...Ok that helps

Threats instead of engagement - cool Spartan, I think that was handled real well...

A 'we're not going anywhere yet, too busy polishhing off new rujles to work on the CV' then the promise of being ebtter, and maybe a little foot note about keeping it civil...

What are you talking about? Alex wasn't an employee, he was an unpaid volunteer... I suspect almost every "Spartan" on these forums are unpaid as well.  I don't count a discount on products as a salary either; neither does the law.

You get what you pay for.  Good luck, Mike!

While it is plain to see your frustrations with Spartan Games comes from long existing and multiple aggrivated issues, your fresh disgust with me is rather perplexing.

I am wading into a den of starving lions in an effort to saciate and calm the pack and want nothing more than to restore faith that people (including myself) are making great strides to right a ship that in many cases has sailed off coarse. I am not coming here to threaten or impose anything upon the masses, just making a docile attempt at trying to introduce myself as a friendly and helpful support and more importantly a fan that has felt the frustrations that you and many have agonized from.

I may not personally understand the gravity of your situational disappointment, nor am I capable of waving a magic wand and taking it away, but I will continue to pour my energies into bringing some positivity to this forum and it's people along with my duties in trying to design and usher progress for all the systems I am set about on.

There is no effort being made to silence your frustrations, only to bring a degree of politeness to your venting, especially given that I am not a personal fabricator of your rationales for disappointment. Quite the opposite in fact, I want to try to remove it. So I would only ask you don't cut my legs off from beneath me as I make an effort to stand with you all. There is no "Trump" like enforcement, or quelling or silencing of voices being mandated, only a call for peaceful and civil discussions and a return to the most important concept... an effort to talk about the fun games we all love to enjoy. Don't use your anger to insult or hurt me as I try to bring that to you. It serves little purpose here or frankly anywhere... it won't make a game any better, it doesn't help anyone work harder or spend more time making rules more exciting, it won't design a model... give me a chance to help do those things for you with my excitement and enthusiasm. 

I am bringing you all not a sword and rejection, but an olive branch and effort.

-Mike

Hey Spartan Mike, I like where you're going with this. Might be a bit much to hope for, but if we could at least see something, a render, some rules, something solid,  that would help pacify things a little and go a long way to mending the communication rift (at least me anyways!). No offense to Spartan Linde, but being told to wait until Adepticon with vague promises isn't helpful, and puts a lot more pressure on Spartan to perform.

:rolleyes: Pass the Popcorn!:rolleyes:

Not sure what the above spat is about, don't really care, but keep it up as it's the best reason to check in on this thread

In all seriousness, just from what I see in my local club, Spartan needs to up their game. We've gone from having x8 solid FSA players to 2. People have sold their fleets off on the cheap on Ebay. Dropfleet has taken a scythe to the FSA regular gamers. The game needs a fresh look at. Generally, games become very stale after a few turns and compared to other systems out there, movement is so cluncky.

I've said it before, games need to speed up. Half the time is spent trying to manouvre your ships with silly little templates. You need a movement template similar to X-Wing. 1" parts which pivot around in 45 degree angles. So you can simply create the move you make, put the template infront of your ship, pick it up, place it at the front of the template. Speed. Too many tokens to keep track of. Crew & Assault values could easily be combined into 1. Gives you a choice of how much crew to dedicate to a boarding action. The bases could be recut to take the small dice, like the fighter tokens, to keep track of HP etc.

Make the games more tactical, rather than line up and shoot which is what half your games end up being. Stick some stations on the board, +1VP on the log for each station you've an orbiting ship with no enemy ships. Bring in some Troop Carrier ships (or just stats for them), make games with must drop off 'x' troops at planet 'z'.

Whilst I like the exploding D6 mechanic, many people don't. As a compromise, limit the number of D6 rerolls you can do. So a Standard weapon can only have 1 round of rerolls (so if you rolled a 6 the 2nd time, it just counts as 1 hit), a weapon upgrade allows more hits. We've tried a few games of this and they sort of worked.

What does 2017 hold. I'm hoping a rewrite of the rules to move away from stale games, to more a strategy game. Hoping for campaigns. Was hoping for new terrain, but Hawk got there first for me.

Rather a cheek to even talk about banning Alex, without him firestorm would not exist:) never mind what else he contributed too...

Some awesome gratitude there, I'm glad the firestorm group was dissolved if that's where volunteering my free time would have ended up.

In fact Alex, what you've said on this site and on the Facebook Admirals page would get you banned on most other business blogs. You may not have been an employee, but you sure act like somebody who got fired.

1 hour ago, SecretSquig said:

I've said it before, games need to speed up. Half the time is spent trying to manouvre your ships with silly little templates. You need a movement template similar to X-Wing. 1" parts which pivot around in 45 degree angles. So you can simply create the move you make, put the template infront of your ship, pick it up, place it at the front of the template. Speed. Too many tokens to keep track of. Crew & Assault values could easily be combined into 1. Gives you a choice of how much crew to dedicate to a boarding action. The bases could be recut to take the small dice, like the fighter tokens, to keep track of HP etc.

The turning template could be more ergonomic, but It isn't the basic movement system that's to blame.

The main problem is that the miniatures/bases are rather large, and the rules for handling base to base / miniature to miniature contact suck.