Sniddy

What DOES 2017 hold

Locally game is dying 

We have a Dropfleet kickstarter but as they naffed up the order that's still on the shelf 

Mostly people find it a little clunky and large games take too long and there is some balance issues

The silence on this, and planetfall, is really starting to make even me shut up about the system

I would hope sooner than that! Some guys at my local gaming store looked interested, and I'd hate to have the number of players not expand due to Spartan's lack of attention. Heck, even finishing the Amber scenarios would go a long ways, in my mind.

Hopefully my order from 2016 will show up!

To be brutally honest I'm not expecting much from Spartan currently. Probably s blog post or 2 saying how lots of amazing stuff is coming really soon and its going to be amazing, followed by 6 months of silence. The last blog post about the Amber system was what, September? Its all a bit... vague and woolly. If they want to run a really good interactive campaign world wide then the, in my opinion, the pinnacle of that was GW's Eye of Terror campaign. Interactive maps, easy way to log battles and keep up to date on results etc. Currently the Spartan website needs a bit of an update with racial fluff. In fact some solid fluff presented in physical form would  be good rather than tiny snippets scattered over a dozen blog/forum posts. Newbies cant easily find it all. I'll keep saying fluff is important. It gives you a reason to play the game beyond "space ships are cool". 

If nothing really happens in the next 6 months the rise of DFC and GW even thinking about a new BFG could really damage FSA

Even I, a die hard Spartaner since 2011, am having a bit of a wobble. 

10 hours ago, Kaptyn Krys said:

Hopefully my order from 2016 will show up!

Hopefully mine too. :D

Everything else would be a welcomed addition. Perhaps some rule tweaks for FSA.

On 1/8/2017 at 6:32 PM, Spartan Linde said:

March......At Adepticon.  There will be new stuff for the public to view :-)

Neil, Derek and I are working on FSA stuff and Planetfall stuff as we speak.

Yeah...
Had high hopes. Maybe check back in a couple months, sad turn of things Spartan. Communication, it's a thing.

On 1/8/2017 at 6:32 PM, Spartan Linde said:

March......At Adepticon.  There will be new stuff for the public to view :-)

Neil, Derek and I are working on FSA stuff and Planetfall stuff as we speak.

Can you give us an idea/details of what you're working on? Vague hints and promises only work for so long.

Has anyone considered one of the communication problems from Spartan might not be in the lack of information, but in how it is displayed/relayed.

I mean we are all asking for content and news, 3 new missions were just published for Adepticon, this IS content it may have been designed for an event, but it's still content. Except much like when i described the story for the Flashpoint amber campaign to a friend... its kinda hard to find, its a link on a blog post to another site hosting a pdf, would it have killed anyone to ask if it could be posted on Spartans main site? possibly with a little fanfare?

As mentioned, wouldn't it be nice if the Flashpoint amber PDF was featured a little more prominently? I mean the firestorm universe is expanding gradually in terms of backstory, but it;s kind of hard to find. There are some companies whose IP lives directly off the universe they have created, is not something that should be ignored.

Additionally, if you know you have things to show at Adepticon, which is 3 months away, meaning little has been shown of Planetfall or armada for almost 6 months, maybe a preview might go a long way to building community bridges?

That said, I;d like to thank Spartan Linde for coming to the boards and at least answering some questions and giving us some official Spartan presence.

2 hours ago, Alex Mann said:

I'm not encouraged by the source of fluff, given other departures from prior background from the same...I also don't think Adepticon-centric things (which are fine for those who live in that area of the US, but not really the general community) are enough to rekindle peoples interests for the game more generally.

Disappointing.

What are the departures from fluff?

There are plenty of home-brew scenarios if you dig around in the forum and also the ones I have used for the previous 3 years Reading Warfare tournement kicking about of you look hard enough. Honorable mention to the NOVA tournament scenarios too! The Adepticon ones are equally just home brew ones by a Spartan Vanguard. Spartan just posted the link to their stuff. It's in no way an "official" release of new scenarios by Spartan on par with say the Systems Wars scenarios.

I do believe that we all should do our own fire storn history or "fluf" I've done my own. mine starts back in 1945 and the end of WW2. I have V1.0 and V1.5 rules

and they have a basic time line that Spartan put out.  I simply added to it. with all the crazy stuff happening in the world today it isn't that hard.

To echo the above I like the newer Xelocian fluff. Going from several worldships to one makes their situation all the more desperate. Loosing one would have been a great loss, but others would have survived. Loosing the one they have would probably be the death knell for the Xelocian race. I know the Kedorians got a newer write up around the same time, one that shed some light as to the origins of their conflict with the Ryushi. Did the older fluff do that? Honest question, it was before my time.

I haven't read PF, so can't comment on the contents thereof, but fluff not allowed to expand or evolve/change? I seem to recall in v1 the Relthoza were described as being not overtly hostile, which kind of made no sense considering their objective of taking Soryilian territory.

7 hours ago, Bessemer said:

To echo the above I like the newer Xelocian fluff. Going from several worldships to one makes their situation all the more desperate. Loosing one would have been a great loss, but others would have survived. Loosing the one they have would probably be the death knell for the Xelocian race. I know the Kedorians got a newer write up around the same time, one that shed some light as to the origins of their conflict with the Ryushi. Did the older fluff do that? Honest question, it was before my time.

I haven't read PF, so can't comment on the contents thereof, but fluff not allowed to expand or evolve/change? I seem to recall in v1 the Relthoza were described as being not overtly hostile, which kind of made no sense considering their objective of taking Soryilian territory.

, I  don't agree with some of the newer "fluff" I also believe that the Relthozans would be more combative and not vegans as is sugested in current fluff. I see them as spider like and as we know all spiders eat other bugs so in my FA universe they eat other races ie.... human, snakeheads or fishpeople. we are part of there food chain. the only reason they do not turn on the Dendrenzi and Directorate is because the enemy of my enemy is my friend and a very shaky agreement. 

The Fluff discontinuity is being worked on as work progresses in new editions of FSA and PF

I am also working on Flashpoint Amber content with Neil. 

I also just got done with the Alpha rules for a unit that has long been talked about for years and has not come out. The focus group begins testing wedneday. 

As soon as I have renders and or pictures of the new stuff I will post it

i will also discuss with Neil a better delivery system for content. The blogs have been the primary source, but you are right. Stuff needs to be featured prominatly on the main page.

Being primarily a Relthoza player I can say they are aggressive. They are like any race. They can be prone to peace but much like humanity have a  violent streak. 

Ambush is just another method of preemptive attack. The swarming instinct is what drives them