Shadowcatdecoy

Why should I give CoA another go?

As the title says, why?  My gaming group has decided to give Spartan another chance, the effort they are putting into the Ice Maiden campaign looks impressive.  I will be picking up the RoF box, but the CoA was the reason I got into this game.  Not for game of drones, not for cower and laser spam, and not for portal spam.  I got into the CoA because in 1.0 it was supposed to be the the more difficult to play faction, being weaker but having advanced technology and unique abilities to overcome those weaknesses.  Then most of it's abilities were stripped from it and in several instances given to other factions.  Every other faction gained access to almost half it's formerly unique generators.  Then it was drowned in drones that were nerfed because they had been force fed to many (spamming drones does not accurately represent their high tech).  Their large/massive ships were nerfed till only two were really considered usable, and the Aristotle still had to duct tape a cruiser to itself to manage even that (leaving aside the Dio's scale problem).  So after around two years of ambivalence toward the state they left the CoA in, I really need a reason to want to try the CoA again.

And I really do want a reason, the CoA was what drew me to DY.  From the sleek lines of the Aristotle to the weird super science that the fluff still insists they are the masters of, I enjoyed the CoA.  Has Spartan actually figured out what they are doing with them?  I have not seen anything about updated faction rules, and considering Spartans ADOHSHINEY that leaves me worried.  So has the CoA been allowed to be a Core Nation again, or are they still over-glorified dust collectors weeping at the bottom of my minis box?

@Shadowcatdecoy I'm kinda with you on CoA. I picked em up start of 2.0, I chose the fleet cos I liked the look of the ships and the fluff, not for any game mechanics at all. At 1st enjoyed using them even in v2, never once using drone spam. 

But steadily new Orbat nerf, drone nerf and Diophantus identity crises toward 2.5 have me wondering if I'll ever play DW again.

As @Nazduruk_Bugzappa says, we've got to wait for nu 2.5 rules to see if that /new Orbats help to make em fun again. Keep those alien-element-powered mechanical fingers crossed til then.