Does anyone have experience using disruption generators or the target designator? If so could you please share you experiences? To date I have not used them significantly and am curious to hear about what kind of returns others are getting out of them.

I have not yet used the disruption generators - nor seen them used by anyone as of yet.

The Target Designators are a must have in my book. The +1 to hit really ups the effectiveness of your RB1 firing and coupled with other units helping on the target it just gets deadlier. Think of drones dive bombing and hitting on 2+ and you can start to see some of the real fun that can happen!

The distruption generator is ****. Remember, it hits ALL ships, even your own. CoA brings WAY more generators than every other faction, so you'll almost always hit more of your own ships than yoru opponent's.

The target painter is a steal at it's price- it's easily worth the cost. To give you an idea of how it affects your total result-

Hitting on:

3+ (1 success per die)

4+ (.8 success per die)

5+ (.6 success per die)

6+ (.4 success per die)

With a lot of varience, of course.

This may not seem like a lot, but it's a pretty big difference. Take our dreadnought, for example. Our turrets have 12AD in RB1. Normally, they're hitting on 5+, which means that it averages 7.2 successes. With a target paint, that rises to 9.6. Since we can't actually have fractional successes in game, that means median results of 7 and 10, respectivly.

Notice that 7 damages a battleship, while 10 crits it. With the target painter and a full barrage from the dreadnought (3 turrets and a broadside) you've actually got a pretty decent chance of one-shotting a battleship. Even through shields. If you're playing with cards and have a Veteran Gunners to play as well, you can easily blow anything short of a dreadnought out of the water.

Even more important, it boosts output when our ship is damaged. None of our vessels deal with taking damage well, the target painter can boost us up again to reasonable damage levels.

It's also important to understand how much it helps the rest of the fleet- remember that the target painter bonus applies for EVERYONE. No one can take out a big ship like CoA can- if we want something dead, we can make it happen.

I had one game where my DN and BB were on opposite ends of the table. The DN had finished off its opponents and then fired at RB3 against the painted ship and did a double crit with the primaries followed by a crit with the broadsides. This was followed by the enemy BB hitting the bottom. The effectiveness of the target painter is very good. I no longer take a DN or BB without paying the extra points for it.

i was running two battleships in one game. got really lucky and had both of them within 8 of a KB dread. all regular batteries at it hitting on 3s. i scoured the book to make sure i could do this, and its two stacking gererator effects, so i dont see why not. but that was a really lucky instance. i have had my zenos on one side of the board missing on corvettes and mark the real intended secondary target on the far side of the board, complicated, but kinda cool

The distruption generator is ****. Remember, it hits ALL ships, even your own. CoA brings WAY more generators than every other faction, so you'll almost always hit more of your own ships than yoru opponent's.

The target painter is a steal at it's price- it's easily worth the cost. To give you an idea of how it affects your total result-

Hitting on:

3+ (1 success per die)

4+ (.8 success per die)

5+ (.6 success per die)

6+ (.4 success per die)

With a lot of varience, of course.

This may not seem like a lot, but it's a pretty big difference. Take our dreadnought, for example. Our turrets have 12AD in RB1. Normally, they're hitting on 5+, which means that it averages 7.2 successes. With a target paint, that rises to 9.6. Since we can't actually have fractional successes in game, that means median results of 7 and 10, respectivly.

Notice that 7 damages a battleship, while 10 crits it. With the target painter and a full barrage from the dreadnought (3 turrets and a broadside) you've actually got a pretty decent chance of one-shotting a battleship. Even through shields. If you're playing with cards and have a Veteran Gunners to play as well, you can easily blow anything short of a dreadnought out of the water.

Even more important, it boosts output when our ship is damaged. None of our vessels deal with taking damage well, the target painter can boost us up again to reasonable damage levels.

It's also important to understand how much it helps the rest of the fleet- remember that the target painter bonus applies for EVERYONE. No one can take out a big ship like CoA can- if we want something dead, we can make it happen.

How confident are you about your maths?

From running some simulations, on average:

0.8 hits per exploding AD hitting on 4+

0.6 hits per exploding AD hitting on 5+

0.4 hits per exploding AD hitting on 6+

I won't lie, I'm really, really confused by your post... do we not have the same numbers here? Our tables look exactly the same to me, excpet that I also posted the results for 3+ to hit rolls.

I'm quite confident in my math. Mainly because I didn't do it, I had my math-grad roommate figure it out. =P

What is the issue here?

My apologies, I misread your post, we are indeed using the same numbers.

Looking over them again I think I will try the target painter some more.

I still personally cant justify taking a disruption generator over a shield generator...maybe when we start seeing more of the fury etc generators they will be more appealing

A possible use for a disruption generator would be on a ship that you plan to teleport into the midst of the enemy at the proper time. If it is surrounded by the enemy, that one generator per target could be huge, let alone the possibility of the lost AP. The only problem is that the v1.1 Rules do not specify who gets to choose which generator on the target ship is lost. According to our book, the targeted player chooses which generator.

Granted you sacrifice a large amount of defense, but in the proper situation, and understanding that you are sacrificing the unit anyways, it could be a VERY nasty thing!

Example: Teleport the BB with the disruption generator near the end of the turn, use the generator and then shoot everything you can. The first activation of the next turn, you do the generator again and shoot everything once more - then you die but for the rest of the turn the enemy should be vulnerable on several of their units and you just go all out against them. This could actually have a chance (small) of knocking out two generators in a target ship.

It must be timed right, you must have the forces in place to take advantage of it, and you probably will need a bit of luck, but it could turn the entire battle into your favor.

The loss of the shield generator could be offset by using the Time Orb to protect it with the half AD field while maneuvering everything into place to use it. If you never get the positioning right, then your BB is still protected by the half AD field - which is actually better than a shield generator anyways.

All of that said, I still would probably never use it that way - except maybe in a large battle (1500+) and only against certain opponents . . .

Granted you sacrifice a large amount of defense, but in the proper situation, and understanding that you are sacrificing the unit anyways, it could be a VERY nasty thing!

Example: Teleport the BB with the disruption generator near the end of the turn, use the generator and then shoot everything you can. The first activation of the next turn, you do the generator again and shoot everything once more - then you die but for the rest of the turn the enemy should be vulnerable on several of their units and you just go all out against them. This could actually have a chance (small) of knocking out two generators in a target ship.

It must be timed right, you must have the forces in place to take advantage of it, and you probably will need a bit of luck, but it could turn the entire battle into your favor.

The loss of the shield generator could be offset by using the Time Orb to protect it with the half AD field while maneuvering everything into place to use it. If you never get the positioning right, then your BB is still protected by the half AD field - which is actually better than a shield generator anyways.

All of that said, I still would probably never use it that way - except maybe in a large battle (1500+) and only against certain opponents . . .

Inventive scientists...dont think its too terrible a chance to take out two generators in two turns on the same target

Except the end of the turn is after your first activation and some of the generators you blew will be repaired. Also you get only one re-roll per turn with the Inventive Scientists - so I would probably only use it against a big target. And if you roll a '1', then you stop rolling for the Disruption Generator for the activation. Plan your targeting and rolling well then and you may not even use the Inventive Scientists. I would probably not use them the first activation but plan it well on the second activation when I know what was not repaired and where it would do the most good.

Except the end of the turn is after your first activation and some of the generators you blew will be repaired. Also you get only one re-roll per turn with the Inventive Scientists - so I would probably only use it against a big target. And if you roll a '1', then you stop rolling for the Disruption Generator for the activation. Plan your targeting and rolling well then and you may not even use the Inventive Scientists. I would probably not use them the first activation but plan it well on the second activation when I know what was not repaired and where it would do the most good.

Teleport at end of turn, and activate it first in your next turn

Not quite, I can't possibly forget a shield that reduces hits against me but I have yet to remember the target painter I keep buying :P

i physically modelled some laser target designators to the bow of my battleship and (since they can now buy one without losing a turret) my dreadnought, using some offcuts from when i shortened my flight stems (they were too tall for my transport box) and some spare model-frame. i figured i'm going to paint the target right in front of my PA anyway, so the two "barrels" run in the top of the groove that the PA sits in, to about 7mm long.

edit: i've just added the leftover pylons from my daughter's dreadnought to the keel (just aft of the drone racks) of my sky fortress. looks good, and reminds me i've got a generator onboard

shame these guys can't get disruption generator, as i'd quite happily pound Nergal's drone-cannon into a target at point-blank range