Jump to content
tank0625

My idea for new FSA units from KS Admiral of the fleet.

Recommended Posts

Are you set on FSA models? To me it seems like the core nations are pretty well set. I'm not sure what you could make that would really stand out and fit and be balanced.

On the other hand there are a lot of holes and spaces for unique designs in the alliance nations and mercs. A support repair/salvage cruiser would make a lot of sense for mercs.

 

Looking at the DL models I was wondering if a crocodile style sub would be a good option, not sure if that would step on EotBS toes or not though.

Maybe an plane or robot that looks like an eagle (nothing more American than that) probably without much for guns, maybe just bombs or mines.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Erloas said:

Are you set on FSA models? To me it seems like the core nations are pretty well set. I'm not sure what you could make that would really stand out and fit and be balanced.

On the other hand there are a lot of holes and spaces for unique designs in the alliance nations and mercs. A support repair/salvage cruiser would make a lot of sense for mercs.

 

Looking at the DL models I was wondering if a crocodile style sub would be a good option, not sure if that would step on EotBS toes or not though.

Maybe an plane or robot that looks like an eagle (nothing more American than that) probably without much for guns, maybe just bombs or mines.

All good points. FSA has been my main faction since the game started and I'm not sure when they will get more units. So that's why I wanted to add needed units. 

So far I'm leaning towards a small class assault airship and a support  cruiser.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Texas_Archer said:

I like the heavy volley guns on a support cruiser. Like it a lot

I'm been looking over other nationalities support crusiers and I think it should work. I wish I knew the heavy volley guns stats. But was thinking of 2 turrets with no secondaries. Instead add more AA & CC batteries to higher numbers. Not sure what generator and additional MARs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've always really liked the FSA carrier fleets. Like the carrier fleets along the Pacific Theatre.

With the Saratoga and Savannah the FSA always seemed to have SAS as a strong suit being well suited to keep their planes combat-ready.

I like the idea of a Support Cruiser with Combat Coordinator(SAS,8",Acrobatic Pilots). As an advance ship keeping an eye out for enemy Fighters to give the FSA pilots an opportunity to evade interceptors. Or the support cruiser essentially is throwing out suppressive fire with its AA making it harder for the opponents fighters to get a good shot and take down the FSA's SAS.

 

I'd stay away from making the Support Cruiser a longer ranged ship. Their role is to support the fleet not be a combat cruiser. Above average AA/CC, close ranged firepower, good toughness (When I was thinking of this I used Monitor level stats. Or you can add Rugged Construction, or internal shield, and/or CR 7. Something like that), and Combat Coordinator helping the local air support or carrier support SAS to survive long enough to reach their target.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Again thank you for all the great input. It's very helpful to me designing the ship.  Not sure how much say I will have with its stats.  

This is my thinking from your suggestions on the support cruiser.

  • Combat Coordinator MAR (SAS,8",Acrobatic Pilots)
  • Attachment MAR
  • 2 Heavy Volley gun batteries
    • Can be replaced by rocket batteries
  • 1 Rocket battery
    • Can be replaced by Kinetic or Shield (Guardian - if Spartan's team OKs it) generators
  • Above average AA and CC (no secondary weapons) 

I was thinking was dropping the rocket battery and add volley guns. Maybe fore and aft.

And/or allow target painter generator.

Thoughts and opinions? 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I took a long look at the other support cruisers.  Some are more like heavy cruisers.  I do like the RoF Ecuyer and KoB Dominion support cruisers.

Here's my second try on the support cruiser. 

  • MARs Attachment (FSA, Naval, 1), Heavy Ack Ack,  Combat Coordinator (SAS,8",Acrobatic Pilots)
  • 2 Heavy Volley gun batteries (I'm guessing on the stats)
  • Above average AA and CC 
  • 1 Rocket Battery 
    • Can be replaced by Kinetic or Shield (Guardian - if Spartan's team OKs it) generators

  For the small Airship, I like the Black Wolf Fleet Wraith Airship.

  • Match the Wraith in stats
  • 2 volley guns 1 topside and 1 bottom side.

Again thoughts and opinions are helpful.  Thank you 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, tank0625 said:

I took a long look at the other support cruisers.  Some are more like heavy cruisers.  I do like the RoF Ecuyer and KoB Dominion support cruisers.

Here's my second try on the support cruiser. 

  • MARs Attachment (FSA, Naval, 1), Heavy Ack Ack,  Combat Coordinator (SAS,8",Acrobatic Pilots)
  • 2 Heavy Volley gun batteries (I'm guessing on the stats)
  • Above average AA and CC 
  • 1 Rocket Battery 
    • Can be replaced by Kinetic or Shield (Guardian - if Spartan's team OKs it) generators

  For the small Airship, I like the Black Wolf Fleet Wraith Airship.

  • Match the Wraith in stats
  • 2 volley guns 1 topside and 1 bottom side.

Again thoughts and opinions are helpful.  Thank you 

You could make them both multipurpose tanks, instead. Then they can take advantage of land games and/or islands. (Plus it will allow for an amphibious tank theme, if they fix the Washington)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Alright, I am mostly wrong, kinda right:

KoB Dominion, TPGen Torps and coordinator hunter submerged with attachment.

PE Donnerfaust, Tesla all over, lightning rods, and attachment.

RoF Ecuyer, heavy AA, high angle, attachment.

CF Chui, medium carrier.

RC Tiksi, mortar, WJGen Torps/rockets.

BW Manticore, solo, has drone subs, possible dilation gen, and coordinator fore guns which is most of fleet.

 

So support cruiser can be without attachment, but what role do you want to fill?  An anti air role is okay, but FSA don't really suck in AA stats, and with volley guns everywhere, with occasional high angle bombards, shooting flyers isn't a problem.  SAS you don't want to spam MARs on them, then you'll create a tiny flyer spam build, which I've played alongside, took forever, and I never got a decent move cause the twelve trays of bombers were attacking everything in range.

FSA is not lacking in firepower or offensive abilities, kinda above average in my gamer group.  But the defensive abilities are what I find lacking.  Just a point higher DR, shields at the cost of weaponry, that's it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, hyde1352 said:

Alright, I am mostly wrong, kinda right:

KoB Dominion, TPGen Torps and coordinator hunter submerged with attachment.

PE Donnerfaust, Tesla all over, lightning rods, and attachment.

RoF Ecuyer, heavy AA, high angle, attachment.

CF Chui, medium carrier.

RC Tiksi, mortar, WJGen Torps/rockets.

BW Manticore, solo, has drone subs, possible dilation gen, and coordinator fore guns which is most of fleet.

 

So support cruiser can be without attachment, but what role do you want to fill?  An anti air role is okay, but FSA don't really suck in AA stats, and with volley guns everywhere, with occasional high angle bombards, shooting flyers isn't a problem.  SAS you don't want to spam MARs on them, then you'll create a tiny flyer spam build, which I've played alongside, took forever, and I never got a decent move cause the twelve trays of bombers were attacking everything in range.

FSA is not lacking in firepower or offensive abilities, kinda above average in my gamer group.  But the defensive abilities are what I find lacking.  Just a point higher DR, shields at the cost of weaponry, that's it.

I think I mentioned mine laying/sweeping in an earlier post. The FSA don't currently have either (their only source of mines are the minefields that come with certain Fortifications).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nor do they really have any torpedoes, just the A17 bomber and SAS.  But all comes down to what Tank wants to do.  Even design a stolen French skimmer or Antarctica drone ship.  But an FSA minesweeper foes sound more likely Naz, so that gets my vote.

Edited by hyde1352
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I still like the idea of a support cruiser, but with the Calico on the horizon (with or without bunting) I don't think going the SAS route is needed. FSA has plenty of cheap carriers and even more so after this kickstarter.

With all the submarines coming, might it be a good idea to have a vessel based around sub hunting? Give it two torpedo turrets and a high CC. Maybe even a support generator for the rest of the fleet (target painters perhaps, might be a bit to much).

The other thing would be a submarine tender, or something that launches PT boats.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I was thinking about what was mentioned, and the fact that many DW units are based on real ideas that weren't always realistic.

So comes the https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Navy_Marine_Mammal_Program.

You could make a tiny/smaller than tiny dolphin SAS-like token with the ability to clear mines. Maybe even some that function like mines but can move. Could be controlled by small ship/squadron.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All great ideas.  Because of all the underwater threats coming out. I do like the anti-sub concept.  One of my original ideas was a medium attack sub squadron, with a lot of torpedos and CC.   Would a medium or small class ship be better?  The small class could be similar to WWII PT boats.

Please keep your ideas coming.

Great idea about stealing a skimmer. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the real life plan had them trained to disable the mines safely. Although I suppose a d6 roll when attempting can let you know how well they did, does it clear without effect and the dolphins are free to try some more, or does it explode taking the dolphins with it.

There are probably several reasonable options for a unit like that. Loaded with mines, clear mines, block torpedoes, counter to aquatic boarders (big boost to cc in effect).

Probably don't want them to do all of that but options to think about. Maybe pick what type at deployment, have to be trained for a specific task so can't do it all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If the unit in question is a medium, then you can still design a small, or another medium to compliment the first.  So a medium support cruiser designed around, let's say, above average AA/CC with combat coordinator (FSA, 12", sustained fire AA+CC[1]) and guardian generator (2, 8", 1) with two volley gun turrets like the Augusta, in a squad of 1-2.  The next unit could be a medium sub-tender like the Australian unit, with a single heavy volley (rules in 2.0 say they can link) and a squadron support (turtle, 4), with attachment one and another combat coordinator (FSA, 8", hunter[surface, secondary, +1]).  Make one a submarine, I wouldn't, but up to you.  Now you have two support units, with a pretty scary synergy.

 

FYI-don't do this, it's not kosher.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.