Thamoz

Light interceptor

So, it looks like science has finally developed a way to lift small things (rather than big things, which we have a lot of) off the ground.

The Hawking class light interceptor.

Goodie :D I think a light interceptor will be a valuable addition to our Orbat. Thing is, so far all the light interceptors have been pretty much the same. Small, squad size 5, a small gun and a tendency to fall off their flight stands. I am sure Spartan have already got their ideas on what stats and abilities to give our new littlest flier, but I wonder what ideas we have on here...

If it were me, I would listen to the old voice of the version 1.1 Thales. Fastest vessel in the game it was, faster even that SAW fighters in a straight line. Given that the design space for a light interceptor is so limited (can't be too tough, can't be too powerful, can't be too points-costy) a truly staggering speed would make it different to the standard cookie cutter interceptors. Say, 20" of movement. Of course, it would have to serve a purpose in the Orbat..

Well, our current Orbat struggles against tough targets, I mean the really tough ones. Dreadnoughts, sky fortresses, those sorts. One of our main tools to take on those is big drone squads, but the drone network has a whole raft of (very well discussed) problems.

But we do like our synergy here... so how about this. 20 inches of movement, but no gun. Instead, give it a high ack-ack value (e.g. 4) the heavy ack-ack rule and hunter aerial. Now we have a nippy squadron that can cause serious headaches to enemy SAW, freeing up our drones to go up against those tough targets rather than play with the enemy planes. As a bonus, an ack-ack value of 4 would link up (across a squadron) to 12 dice, which with hunter aerial would make it a very credible threat to almost any flying target. Round the whole thing off with 360 degree movement and break for lunch!

That would be my take on a light interceptor for the CoA, although there was a large part of me that wanted it to be able to go underwater as well.

I'm more thinking that there's a bunch of ex-mercenary pilots who are now cheering with joy at the chance of getting out of the cargo ships and into a "proper plane" again. No more leaving it just up to the drones, lets show them how "real men" do things. 

Unless, then interceptor turns out to be a hovering platform covered with guns...

Also, the name - Hawking - what is it named for? Is it a derivative of "hawk"? Or is it named for the scientist whose parents haven't even been born yet?

I mean, come on - you guys dropped the ball with "Capek".

------------------

On the rules sides of things, I'm thinking maybe it'll have more of those AA rockets that the CoA seem to like. They might have an overall drop in AD compared to others, but at a base 2+ to hit vs aerial targets, we can afford that!

There must be a time machine in the vault. Where else could the Covenant get the schematics for a Sidewinder missile?

Not a bad idea.  I do think 20 inch movement is a bit much when you combine it with 360 degree movement though. 

It does get balanced out by the fact that even if this unit survives it can be rendered near useless depending on your opponents list.

On 17/11/2016 at 2:36 AM, draco84oz said:

Also, the name - Hawking - what is it named for? Is it a derivative of "hawk"? Or is it named for the scientist whose parents haven't even been born yet?

I mean, come on - you guys dropped the ball with "Capek"

Obviously it's named after someone's paternal grandparents... ;)

Well so much for my predictions and comments about samey interceptors.  the render of the theon makes me think that someone locked a Ptolemy and a capek in a darkened hanger and only opened the door when the walls stopped shaking. I like that our interceptor is different, but I now question the designation "light".

The design of the interceptor is a little jumbled, at least from the underneath view, like someone stuck an Alea and a Ptolemy model into each other and slapped the Capek's engine in the middle. I'm just going to assume it's unfinished and some 'smoothing' will happen later. Concept is nice,- makes me think 'sky destroyer'.

But more importantly, that sub. Railgun Plutarch? Oh my yes. The only improvement I could think to make would be to place the railgun dorsally, where daddy Vanguard's spikes are. But then, 'Dorsal Railgun Mount' is right behind 'tumblehome hull' in the top ten ship features according to Sebenko.

I... I am not that keen on the sub design. I mean, it isn't bad but it doesnt have that Aristotle wow-factor of design that makes the CoA the winners of all the style awards. Rear half of a plutarch, nose of a thales, decorate with pipes or bumps to taste then stick a bit in the middle to make it fish-like. Random not-saw-blades on top rather than dorsal mounted rail gun is some sort of sin. Those little guns at the front just do not scream "Long Lance" in the way the Skorpius bombard does.

The Theon, I like. A bit jumbled (ty Sebenko), but I think in the resin it will look good.

16 hours ago, Thamoz said:

I... I am not that keen on the sub design. I mean, it isn't bad but it doesnt have that Aristotle wow-factor of design that makes the CoA the winners of all the style awards. Rear half of a plutarch, nose of a thales, decorate with pipes or bumps to taste then stick a bit in the middle to make it fish-like. Random not-saw-blades on top rather than dorsal mounted rail gun is some sort of sin. Those little guns at the front just do not scream "Long Lance" in the way the Skorpius bombard does.

I've been trying to frame my reservations. You nailed it perfectly. The parts of other covenant ships is great, the weird shark fins rather than a Skorpius Cannon is a bit sad. 

Liking both of the models so far, though I do hope that the side-by-side renders aren't to scale. Not a deal breaker either way, though. I wonder if they're going to add a cockpit to the interceptor. 

The saw blades on the sub almost look like they could be a drop-on- I'd really dig that.

I would suspect they are to scale, since the interceptor has "had its squadron size reduced to match statistics", and looks to be fitting the 'heavy destroyer in the sky' mould- and submarines tend to be at the smaller end of their size class as a general design trend.

As said, I'm suspecting a WIP phase on these models, as they some aspects seem a little unpolished, but I wouldn't expect the relative sizes to change.

I like both of the models, the sub especially.  I think the fins are a great touch and I wouldn't want to see them go.

As for a cockpit on the Theon, my general thought was that this doesn't have a large bridge/command center.  If we take a SAW for scale, and where the pilot would fit in those, and compare it to the Theon, you really wouldn't need much for the pilot, though it would need something.  I'm not sure if a periscope style viewer would be enough for flying an aircraft, but maybe.

As for the scale on the last picture, I get the impression both of these files were opened together in their CAD program.  It wasn't just a cut-paste in a photo-editing program.  The CAD program adds shading from a light source which you can see on the models.  In this case the Theon is casting a shadow on the very back edge of the water base on the Praxilla.  This means the Theon is above the Praxilla, so I think that is going to skew the visual appearances a bit.  Although I'm still thinking the Theon is going to be on the larger side for a small, and maybe the Praxilla is a bit on the small side of medium.

Here's an idea: Move the railgun to the dorsal mount and have the dorsal fins be part of a folding weapon hatch (similar to the epaulard sub).

Alternatively, move the railgun and have it pop up, with the top rail forming the current ridge that the fins sit on, then fold down for the submerged version- this also allows the fins to be fluffed as cooling fins. I think that hits best of both worlds- fins for those that like them, dorsal railgun for us that like that idea, and for anyone who dislikes decorative fins, they have a justified purpose.

EDIT: Here's shoddy example of what I mean, except the actual thing would be a little more streamlined:

http://i.imgur.com/w2QW7La.jpg

with the submerged version remaining as is.

Both the new sub and interceptor seem to be armed with torches/tubes going by the models. No obvious weaponry on the models.

Have I missed something more overt, or is this perhaps the new direction of CoA.

Also noting 'Iron Men' automata, it'll be interesting to see how these are interpreted in the rules... and whether they'll start to be seen on other vessels too.