Brimat

FSA Tournament in Erfurt/Germany

Hello everyone.

The Tabletop Club Erfurt is organizing a Tournament for Firestorm Armada.

Link to registration

Basic guidlines: 1000 Points Battlefleets; 3 games(Borderclash, Escalating Engagement, Hold the Waypoints); a general 25% table setup; chess clocks with 1:15 per player.

Detailed informations are in the making.:)

Further questions? Just ask.

10 hours ago, Ryjak said:

What happens when one player runs out of time?

Then the player looses. We are currently discussing the tournament point mechanic and a defeat because of running out of time has to be incorporated in this mechanic.

I'm not sure how well this will work, because, unlike chess, you cannot make a move very quickly every time. Even a sub optimal move will take considerable time to execute compared  to a chess move. 

if you implement the clock, I will be interested in hearing how it impacts gameplay.

15 hours ago, Ryjak said:

I'm not sure how well this will work, because, unlike chess, you cannot make a move very quickly every time. Even a sub optimal move will take considerable time to execute compared  to a chess move.

That kind of timer is quite common at Warmachine/Hordes tournaments and actually works pretty well. Granted, they usually don't have you lose immediately if you run out of time. Most of the time you just can't do anything any more besides mandatory moves and stuff like that, or you get a very small fixed amount of time per round that allows you to make one or two activations before standing still again.

Of course you need some rules for when the timer switches over or may be paused.

Erfurt is a little far away for me to attend, but it's great that there are german tournaments at all.

Warmachine's deathclock format is actually an auto loss if you run out of time.  Which is FANTASTIC(!).  I hate a game only going 2 or 3 turns because my opponent plays really slow, and then losing because he scored some kind of early fluke hit, or I made a maneuver planning on getting 5-6 turns into the game. 

In WM tournaments (I compete in multiple US masters tournaments) you will often see people take smaller model counts if they have a hard time with the clock - you usually don't see many people time out unless its a small scale event with people who aren't used to playing on the clock. 

Some weeks ago we tried the Chess Clock game in our gaming group (1 h for 800 Points and 6 turns, defence Actions Count against the Player using it) and it was great fun - and nobody run out of time. I think that everybody knows that there is a time Limit and will build the fleet with clockmanagement in mind.

We played a few test games to see what influence the clock has.

Played very well. You are forced to make decisions in shorter time frames. Last game we played 5 turns and both players had 15-20 minutes left on the clock.

We paused the clock between turns to handle repairs and disorder, playing TACs and roll initiative.

9 hours ago, Ryjak said:

The standard game lasts 6 to 9 turns: do you plan on maintaining this with the clock? 

I'm also curious to see what kind of clocks people are using.

The game will be capped at 6 turns.

For our tests we borrowed clocks from the warmahordes faction of our club, but even an app would be sufficient.

18 hours ago, Oppi said:

Erfurt is a little far away for me to attend, but it's great that there are german tournaments at all.

I have to insist you rethink this decision...es gibt Thüringer Bratwurst!!!!! :D

On 11/27/2016 at 11:41 PM, hahnc77 said:

This should give me the Motivation to finish that fleet

Everyone of us has the motivation to finish (off) your fleet. :D

Preparations are on a good way. New mats have been printed, the planet factory is working overtime, gas clouds and asteroids are collected.

We have expanded the tournament to 14 players after the eleventh registration. :)

Some advertizing at the next convention and i think the last three places will be filled too.

We played with chess clocks with 1 hour and 10 minutes set per player (so 2 hours 20 minutes total). If you handled your activation, your clock was running down, when you where done, you hit the clock and the time for the other player started running. Just like...chess.:D

For the time between turns, for repairs, disorder checks and rolling initiative, the clock was paused.

In case you came down to zero time left on your clock, you lost 15 battlelog and the game ended. 

A master clock was set with 2 hours and 45 minutes for the whole game.

All games where played in time, the lowest time i saw was 17 seconds left. :) The remaining time was between 17 seconds lowest and up to 25 minutes left at the end of some games.