Sign in to follow this  
darkprodigy

Infantry Upgrades

Hello all,

new here and starting a sorylian army. Can someone help me get my head around infantry upgrades? If I'm understanding correctly a squad of 3 light infantry bases can be upgraded with 3 sweeper teams, 3 gun bases and an officer, for a total of 10 bases. Are the extra bases functional in the game? Or are they just visual upgrades for the squad? How about if I take a squad of 6? It seems my infantry come in size 3 or 6 but then I'm not sure how the upgrades apply to the unit as a whole. 

There is a note saying upgraded bases count as bulky (2), but does that mean each base can only take one upgrade? Sorry for the confusing post but I'm at a loss for how to build this part of my army!

thanks

Ok, here's how to parse the infantry stuff.  It isn't particularly intuitive, so don't feel bad about not grasping it if you haven't seen someone using the units in-game.  I'll be referring to the newest version of the Sorylian guide from the downloads section, specifically the mul'kat light infantry since you're asking about upgrades.

The first thing to look at is Squad Size (Sq-Size).  In this case, your squad is size 3 or 6.  You may *only* choose a configuration of bases with either 3 or 6 bases present when putting your squad together.

Once you've decided on if you are running a squad of 3 or 6, it's time to buy upgrades.  You may buy as many upgraded stands of each type (officer, sweeper, and gun team) as allowed in the chart, which is 0-3.  Keep in mind that regardless of what upgrades you do or don't purchase, you still need to end up with either 3 or 6 stands total in your squad.  Having an Officer and 3 Gun Teams is, while OK in the upgrade department, still not a valid option as you have 4 stands instead of 3 or 6.

Each stand you upgrade has a defined effect.  For Sorylians, an Officer improves your troop quality (you get an extra dice for disorder checks), sweeper teams give you +2 CQB dice per team (per team in the CQB fight if not all are within range) when you compile dice for a CQB combat, and gun teams give you access to the listed grenade launcher weapon system (infantry have no ranged weapons by default, you only get access to them if you buy gun teams).  So if you had 3 gun teams, you'd get 15 dice at 12" with the Anti-Infantry rule.

The "bulky" rule only applies if you are putting them into a transport.  Your transport has 10 "slots" and each base takes up one.  If it's an upgraded base, it takes up 2.  Therefore, if you're taking a squad of 6, you can only upgrade 4 of the 6 and still take a transport (4x2 "bulky tax"+2 normal=10).  Remember that you have to account not only for the max capacity of your transport, but you still have to end up with either 3 or 6 stands in the squad.  You can't, for example, take 5 upgraded stands because you won't have 6 stands.

Also, as a note, each base can only have a single upgrade.  You can't have 3 officer/gun teams or whatever.

If you have other questions or I didn't hit something you were wondering about, let me know.

Thanks for the detailed response! So if I'm understanding right the upgrade bases are in essence swapped for a regular base? Or I guess attached in a 1:1 ratio as a buff to that base. 

I guess what doesn't make sense to me now is the box for the infantry upgrades states you get enough to fully upgrade 3 cadres. Given it comes with 9 guns 9 sweepers and 3 officers I was under the impression there was a way to fit all 7 upgrades in but it sounds like you can't is that correct?

The basic base *becomes* the upgraded base, you end up with either 3 or 6 stands with whatever combo of upgrades you want within the 0-3 (0-1 for officer) limitations.  You can picture the bulky rule as representing the extra gear they're toting along.  You'll still always end up with groups of 3 or 6, your upgrade combo has to follow the guidelines in the squad listing, and total space allocation from upgraded/base stands has to be 10 or less to fit in a transport.

For the upgrade box, you have enough sweepers, guns, and officers to apply any upgrade combination to any 3 infantry groupings.  Max upgraded squads of 6 would have 1 officer, 3 either guns or sweepers, and 2 of whichever didn't get 3.  You can't fully upgrade any squad due to the max size being 6.  Most forces have a "grand company" of infantry that allows for more squads, but Sorylians currently don't.  For example, Directorate usually run in 3/6 sizes as well, but a grand company is size 8.  I'm not sure if you'll get one of those options or not as variant helixes come out (Spartan has expressed that they want choices within the helix structure such that, for example, a Heavy Support helix could have one that's tougher or one that's more shooty).  As of now, you are stuck with the 3/6 split and can't take all available upgrades in a single squad due to sizing issues.