Grand-Stone

Please use metric...

As a long time wargamer I find imperial far easier on the table top, and Im a research scientist who normally works in nano and micro metres! The original GW LOTR rules set had both Imperial and Metric, but metric was dropped pretty quickly...

Besides, tape measures usually come with both units of measurement, so what difference does it make if its metric or imperial?

Also, ask yourself this. When on the table using a tape measure, which is easier to find? 6" or 15cm?

Glad everyone takes this thread as fun thread, and be taken as such.

By the way, it's only what you are used to. 20cm tells me far more than 8''.  But it's obviously of no big concern for me. To improve the world, we got to start somewhere and gaming can be one of them. Getting people used to metric would in the long run make things a lot easier for everyone. Screws and bits and parts and things... Some are made for '' other for mm or cm, and screws things up. Try to use a metric bit with an imperial bit... Nasa rockets gets blown to bits cus someone used imperial units and  not metric. And, on top of that, the UK imperial system is different from the US imperial system. So they both use the same word but means different things. How great is that :D

And now we got a ship in DW which is 275mm long. I love that, but if the size of the figures is measured in mm, which they obviously are, would it be better if the system also used the metric system? 

So, for a better world, Spartan could set a good example, and use metric .I don't see it ever happening, due to Fallens picture, but they should!

Inches are far better for table-top miniatures games, in part because 1" across is usually the size of the smaller miniatures on the table. It makes estimating distance really easy and each additional 1" increment is a small but meaningful amount of movement. A 15cm move just doesn't break-down easily into miniature friendly increments in a way which helps me plan my move.

If only I could find an FSA map with the flag overlaid could I make that picture any better

----

In general I think it's because of a couple of reasons that it is currently not metric.

1 - The UK likes to be different than other Metric using countries (seeing how you still actually have/use different terms)

2 - Mainstream US does not really know the metric system, unless milligrams/grams of drugs I mean medicine, or in 2 liter soda increments.

3 - the main players of the Table Top World (GW, Bolt Action, Flames of War, Malifaux, WarMachine & Hordes) all use Inches, sometimes its easier to just go with the flow.

4 - It means redoing all of their current templates (do we still use templates - it's been a while since I've played)

I suppose any system chosen people would get used to it.  Though I think for "new" players, ie younger players, imperial is a better way to go.  For one, the measurements don't yet mean much to them, unless someone starts building things at a fairly young age they aren't going to have a good feel for the distances.  But smaller numbers are easier to put reference to.  Your normal gaming table is 4ft/48inches across, and it isn't hard to break something into 4 segments, or 6 segments (for our 8" range bands), but if you ask them to break it into 120 segments then that is a lot harder.  And rather than counting movement by 1s, even rounding up or down to a full CM, you're going 2/4/6/8 or 3/9/12/15 and without a lot of practice that is not intuitive. 

It doesn't matter so much that the metric system's unit changes are more intuitive because we're only ever using a single unit in the system.  Even though we could break the current game into feet and inches, it is always done in inches.  So even though the conversion between mm, cm, dm, and M is all very easy we're only going to be using CMs anyway. 

There is nothing intuitive about 63360 inches to the mile, but it everything we are doing all of those weird conversions are irrelevant. 

And in the end the system gets less intuitive with the distances we are using.  Rather than moving 1/2/3/4 and shooting 8/16/24/32, you move 2/4/6/8 and your shooting is 20/40/60/80.  So the metric system in this case doesn't really help us much.  If we wanted to make the whole game "metric" then we would change the range bands to 10 or 100, but 10cm and 100cm are not very practical for the game, in fact our range bands would be about half of what they are.  Now 20/40/60/80 for range bands is pretty easy to remember too and fairly close to what we are using now, but as soon as you do that you have to adjust all of the movement of every ship to make up for the fact that our default move changed from about 2.5cm to 2cm. That is of course assuming you round down to 2cm, numbers look a lot better using 2 instead of 3, but either way it has some impact.  And I just don't think we want to use decimals in something as basic as movement.  (for the same reason we don't use decimal inches or even just 1/4 or 1/2 inches)

I like imperial because I can use my hands.  I know that from the tip of my thumb to the tip of my forefinger s 6", my foot is actually a foot long etc.  I'm Australian, I'm second  generation metric, for games imperial is better.  If nothing else using inches means you're dealing with smaller numbers.  

In the U.K. we use imperial on the tabletop / speed / roads / fuel, we use metric to measure fluids / volumes of food. Weight n height are a fairly even split across the two.

We all seem to use Babylonian time (divided by 12), not metric, even the "full metric" Europeans use 12/24hr clock. - it's a perfect example of something where metric divisions just don't work/are inappropriate.

Also U.S. vs U.K. measurements for both some imperial AND some metric are different. (US Billion and Trillion are different)

Folks will use what they will

I'm from Spain, so it's suppose I'm in favor of metric system.

Truth is many games (at least many of the games we usually play on my local gaming club) use imperial system, and here we have no problems with that.

With a suitable measuring tape (and today most of them become with both imperial and metric systems) it's all under control and there is no need to pay attetion on fractions or any decimal.

There is no objective reason to stick to imperial units except "tradition". Tradition which made sense when companies dealt with local markets only, but hardly makes sense when you sell worldwide. Then again, perhaps with certain political events unfolding, it'd be a folly to add European measurements to the rules now.