Beth

Dystopian Empires Kickstarter!

I would be so happy to jump on this Spartan!

If only I felt confident due to the great support you were giving me in DW. (Or Planetfall.)

Alas that support has not yet come up to scratch, and so I cannot join this Kickstarter. if you had invested in proper internal manpower to support my investment whilst also putting out new games, things would be different. If you have done so and I missed it, please educate me....and show me the support I need....so that I feel confident this is not yet another short term thing you are hoping will be "the big hit".

I want to give you my money Spartan. But I need you to make me happy in order to hand over my cash.

1/100 (15mm approx)  action on the tabletop - as far as I understand it will be give mass battle feeling, but at a more personal feeling than DW and have a shed more stuff on the table than DL.

The new Halo game is probably the best 15mm 'company' level game I have played (and I have played A LOT) for a fast paced game... If the mechanics are used in any part for this game we are in for a BIG treat. 

There will be a lot more info coming soon I am sure. 

37 minutes ago, BuckDharma said:

I would be so happy to jump on this Spartan!

If only I felt confident due to the great support you were giving me in DW. (Or Planetfall.)

Alas that support has not yet come up to scratch, and so I cannot join this Kickstarter. if you had invested in proper internal manpower to support my investment whilst also putting out new games, things would be different. If you have done so and I missed it, please educate me....and show me the support I need....so that I feel confident this is not yet another short term thing you are hoping will be "the big hit".

I want to give you my money Spartan. But I need you to make me happy in order to hand over my cash.

I agree with this. On one side, I'd be interesting in seeing new models in the Dystopian universe, but for the sake of everyone playing one of Spartans' current and in memory of those who have played one of their neglegted and/or dead systems, I hope that this won't happen.

I will be backing this kick starter, the only thing that has kept me from buying dystopian wars has been the lack of infantry, but.... I really wish it was 10mm. (I wish halo was 10mm but that's a different story!)

I'm just baffled. Support for all of Spartan Games rulesets has been spotty at best, going through periods of a deluge of releases then a drought of non communication. The Dystopian range has been feeling the bitter drought recently. We've had the abortive launch of quick play rules and the complete lack of support for Legions. The game struggles to gain support in 3mm or 35mm, why should 15mm change anything?

I'm also confused as to who this is aimed at. Existing Dystopian Wars players who want to recollect the range in a different scale? Legions players who want half sized versions of units that never materialised? Or the average wargamer who is put off by unsupported tiny and standard scales and thinks if only 15mm was available?

Honestly all power to Spartan and I hope they succeed, however like their last Kickstarter for modular terrain I don't have a clue who this is aimed at. Coupled with the reputation that Spartans 1.0 rules are generally to be avoided and the inability of the company to stay focused on what will now be 9 separate lines (10 if you really want to count Armored Clash), I just see this creating further problems.

I do however hope to be pleasantly surprised and proven wrong.

Uhhh... What? So yeah, that's exciting, on one hand, but you're now running... HOW many rules systems? Even if we choose to ignore systems that use the same model between systems, ala Taskforce and Armada, that's now 7 ranges of models... And 9 rulesets...

This must be a joke... 

Spartan Games should really stop getting a new game out every 6 months and focus on its existing games. There was almost nothing new for Planetfall, Armada ou Dystopian Wars for the whole past year! 

Also, what's the point in making polls if you don't listen to what people say? I'm pretty sure that the major thing that got out of those polls was "no more new games".

Also, as Spartan Games doesnt' support the Dystopian Universe in DW and DL, i really don't see a single reason that could make me buy this Dystopian Empires.

I'm still giving Spartan the benefit of the doubt on most things, but I also don't really see the point to this game.  I could see this if DL didn't exist and DW didn't have a land section, but right now it is just filling a niche that isn't big enough for its own game.

I think a ruleset for massive battles is good, but that could be done by putting in a few optional rules to Fleet Action, or maybe its own ruleset just using existing models.  But a completely new set of models at its own scale is just not what is needed.  Infantry could easily be added to DW, not as individuals but as something like SAS, I think that could do a lot to giving them representation and probably do a lot to make the land side of the game more attractive.  The infantry would also need to be fleshed out a lot more than it currently is in DW land, but that is a lot easier than another system.

I could see that having really massive battles in DW could be considered pretty price prohibitive for new players, but the difference for existing players expanding their current forces for massive battles is probably less than investing into a new system.

Another game? Seriously? Six games, one of which was a non-starter that you've finally thrown in the towel on, wasn't enough?

Whatever happened to the Teutonic Order Orbat update? Or the update to the Land Combat rules that were supposed to accompany them?

Like we have said time and again, the last thing the company needs is another game that's not going anywhere.

Halo had its video game reputation. DE will only have DWs and the companies reputation to go on, which unfortunately is at an all time low due to the lack of support your giving it now.

Just had a look at the apart and Facebook page. 34 comments plus replies, and not one of them support the kickstarter. They all say the same thing we are saying.

Why won't they listen?

To be fair SG's was listening. This is a Kickstarter so SG's will find out ahead of time if this is going to fly.

Yes people had to spend the time setting it up, writing rules, producing sample models, but they are not commended to this yet.

The 15mm market is huge and I could see them wanting a piece of that pie.

If not for DL I think I would go for it. Time will tell.

That's a good point, actually. Cold reception pulled down their modular terrain kickstarter, and a new game makes a lot more sense if you can prove the money's there first, say with a crowdfunding campaign. In the very least it's an excuse not to follow through. The way they're doing this is very sensible... for having done it at all, which given the existing rep for taking on too many projects isn't terribly sensible.

I don't get it, most Spartan customers are asking them to concentrate on their core games, and now this...the picture doesn't even look dystopian those blimps and such just look like ww1 things.

If the Kickstarter fails then maybe they will finally start to listen:)

Not a fan of this move to be honest. A lot more of existing games need to be fleshed out and supported first. Task Force, Planetfall, HFB, Teutonic ORBAT all need attention more than this.