Binz

The Benefit Of Sharp Turn

Hey guys, ive got a question, after playing with some of my models for a while now, im trying to see what the benefit of "Sharp Turn" is?

It says: "May turn immediately".

Are we playing the game correctly, when a model has a 2" minimum move, does that 2" have to be straight forwards? Or can you use that 2" as part of a turn?

And is that why Sharp Turn is good, because it allows our models to do their 2" minimum AS a turn, instead of being forced to go straight forwards?

Thanks Bunnahabhain, we were practising with KoB v FSA, and played it that 2" had to be straight ahead, but we were thinking about it and couldnt see where it said you couldnt turn during your minimum move.

Which got me to thinking, what would be the point of sharp turn? I kind of logiced it out, but I appreciate the clarification.

While we are on the topic, do fellow EOBS players feel that Sharp Turn is a worthwhile MAR?

Sharp Turn allows you to do some creative maneuvering. Its effects are mostly apparent on a board with a lot of terrain and tight quarters. However, your ships are also adept at avoiding collisions and mines, that other factions' minimum move would otherwise not prevent. Also, Sharp Turn virtually removes any downside from the Fixed Channel arcs that are so common in the EotBS ships. Turning on a dime is always a good thing.

When doing the Sharp Turn, do I still need to mvoe that ~1" forward on the template before adjusting my facing, or can I literally just spin the model on the spot? I think it's the former, but would like to clarify.

Edit: Why was I writing in such small font? Fixed it.

You start turning immediately. Remember that when using the turn template, you line up that first notch with the center of the ship (aka the "turning point"). Thus your first 1" will be at an angle. Without Sharp Turn, you'd have to move the minimum straight forward before you could pick up the turn template.

I'm glad the EOTBS got that to be honest it's a god send and I don't think I could enjoy the fleet as much without it :) of course originally every one played as if they has it but they have had to learn to go straight ahead first ! This maybe one reason why EOTBS will remain my main fleet :)

I love Sharp turn. I doubt I could play another faction after getting so accustomed to being able to slither 4 strong units through a 1" gap. I'm less of a fan of my fliers that don't have it because I feel it limits their maneuverability too much.

On the matter of turning in general, is the minimum move befor a turn, before EACH turn?

E.g. a ship with turn 2"; must it move 2" then one turn notch, then 2" then one turn notch, etc.

Or is it move minimum 2" and can then turn around the template any number of notches?

As far as I am concerned Sharp Turn is a most useful aspect for the various turret-armed ships, and basically a necessity for the units featuring fixed broadsides. Also, it saved several of my ships from collisons with terrain - the higher manoeuvrability is great when fighting in tight spots.

On the matter of turning in general, is the minimum move befor a turn, before EACH turn?

E.g. a ship with turn 2"; must it move 2" then one turn notch, then 2" then one turn notch, etc.

Or is it move minimum 2" and can then turn around the template any number of notches?

Minimum move is only a compulsory move at the beginning of your activation. Afterwards, you are free to move as the templates allow, 1" for each notch (no minimum in between notches). Don't forget about the possibility of taking snaking damage if you turn too much, though.

Exactly right. Unless at all stop, a model with a minimum move has to move, and without sharp turn, that has to be straight forward( or backward). Sharp turn lets you turn during that minimum move.

page 52 "Moving Backwards"

A model moving backwards can move a maximum of 2", and may turn while doing so.

Moving in reverse ignores the usual restrictions to not being able to turn during the first 2" of movement.

Minimum move is only a compulsory move at the beginning of your activation. Afterwards, you are free to move as the templates allow, 1" for each notch (no minimum in between notches). Don't forget about the possibility of taking snaking damage if you turn too much, though.

Snaking only applies if you use the 45 degree turn template.

While we are on the topic, do fellow EOBS players feel that Sharp Turn is a worthwhile MAR?

NO.

When my group started playing we initially only had two of my friend's forces to borrow; CoA and EoBS. Everyone wanted to play CoA (about 1/3 of our players are getting into CoA) so I usually ended up using the EoBS models, which I did like. Soon though I learned I hated their fixed channel weapons and I do not think the Sharp Turn MAR makes up for it.

They could have gone with broadsides and not given them Sharp Turn and it would have been just fine. I find it fiddly and annoying and it forces me to use the fleet in a way that does not match my play style, which means I don't really enjoy playing them. YMMV.

My club tends to use a lot of terrain on the board, so I've found the sharp turn amazing for that. As for the fixed channel guns, I do agree that sharp turn doesn't entirely make up for that alone - but we also get some obscene firepower to go with it. Sure, it can be tricky to get into position to use all those FC guns, but once there... A BB smack bang in the centre of an enemy fleet can make back it's own points value in one turn of shooting. Even our horrid Nakatsu Cruisers can dish out the pain if put into the right spot.

So yeah, Sharp Turn ftw.

Sharp turn is amazing, and sometimes I feel that EotBS players don't appreciate it enough. Generally if they don't, it's because they started with the Blazing Sun, and don't actually know how much easier they have it with Sharp Turn! Which all faction players are guilty of to some degree, as a Covenant player I know that I take our proliferation of shield generators and Inventive Scientists for granted sometimes.

yep it's easy to take for granted the 'generic' bonuses of our factions, like shields + inventive scientists.... or Sharp Turn. I discovered the game by playing KoB and Prussians before bying my Blazing Suns, and I think I'll have a hard time adapting again to a fleet less maneuvrable than us...

Its also a HUGE benefit on ships like dreads, carriers, and battleships. These ships often only have total movements of 6in, and minimum moves of 2in. This means that most nations large ships can spend a maximum of 4in turning larger ships, making them especially ponderous. EotBS can start turning immediately, giving their larges often 50% more turning per turn than the other races equivilents. This can really help with avoiding terrain, aligning fire arcs, or setting up Rams.

As others have said, against forces with lots of mines, it can also help in avoiding them. The only issue right now is most mines in the game aren't threats to ships much larger than frigates, and frigates have the easiest time avoiding them. I think the only unit with a mine value over 5 is the French medium flyer.