Sign in to follow this  
slimeball

Best carrier in the kurak alliance support book

I have a xelocian fleet that I am very proud of but need some SRS support and am thinking of a lend-lease arrangement with one of our kurak allies. I like the ryushi battlecarrier but it seems pretty expensive as a 'secondary' teir 1 to my battleship/dread.

Any suggestions? Which of the kurak support fleet carriers would you take with my xelocians and why?

I like the ryushi regular carrier, but that one kind of fades into the background alongside the other carriers like the hawker and Terquai carriers a bit, which is why I asked what other people like :)

One of the benefits of the ryushi carrier though is the hokikas attachment, looks like a nasty little squadron, but again, eats into valuable xelocian points :)

The Regent is no looker, and it's expensive. Mainly because it effectively has Deck Crews and +2 wings built into it's cost, which does make squeezing it into list harder, seeing as you also have to get Weapon Shielding or Nuclear Turrets to get the best from it and It's cruiser accompaniment. Not what you want to hear when playing Xelocian!

That being said, reserve this unit when you can, and it's a monster! Really saved my bacon tonight!

The Ryushi carrier group does come in a bit cheaper fully loaded, however. And your not sacrificing range.

Carrier groups aren't cheap, but the investment can pay off massively. 

I want a carrier for 1200pt plus games, I know a lot of people say you don't need all tools, but it's nice to have some variety as the xelocians are very beam focused.

Probably around the 200pts maximum including wings, but it depends, as the ryushi carrier groups can also pull the weight of a cruiser squadron

On 28/09/2016 at 9:59 AM, Bessemer said:

The Regent is no looker, and it's expensive. Mainly because it effectively has Deck Crews and +5 wings built into it's cost

Wait, what? The Regent only has 8 wings, and no ability to upgrade them. What does it have +5 wings over? Or am I looking at the wrong document - I've got the Nov 2015 update to Kurak, which the site says is the most recent?

@RecklessPrudence To clarify; First of all, I made a mistake! Nothing wrong with your docs!:)

I meant +2 wings in my (now edited) above post. What I meant by this is that many Carriers get 6 wings with the option to but more, usually +2/3 for +5pts. As the Regent has 8 wings, it effectively has this option "built in", along with Deck Crews.

My reasoning for referring to these options as "built in" is the Regent costing 130. Expensive for a carrier. However, when looking at other carriers, not only do they often start with a lower wing capacity (as I've said above), the upgrade costing +5, they also often have DC as an option, usually +10.

Taking the Regents cost of 130, and taking off the 15 for the mentioned MARs, you get 115, A reasonable cost.

In short, I'm grumbling that the Regent, while a good ship, is made expensive by having some capabilities in it's basic cost that other carriers can leave out to squeeze them into smaller fleets. And Hawker are already an expensive fleet to field.

Hope that explains what I was trying to get across, and thank you for spotting my mistake!

40 minutes ago, Bessemer said:

@RecklessPrudence To clarify; First of all, I made a mistake! Nothing wrong with your docs!:)

I meant +2 wings in my (now edited) above post. What I meant by this is that many Carriers get 6 wings with the option to but more, usually +2/3 for +5pts. As the Regent has 8 wings, it effectively has this option "built in", along with Deck Crews.

My reasoning for referring to these options as "built in" is the Regent costing 130. Expensive for a carrier. However, when looking at other carriers, not only do they often start with a lower wing capacity (as I've said above), the upgrade costing +5, they also often have DC as an option, usually +10.

Taking the Regents cost of 130, and taking off the 15 for the mentioned MARs, you get 115, A reasonable cost.

In short, I'm grumbling that the Regent, while a good ship, is made expensive by having some capabilities in it's basic cost that other carriers can leave out to squeeze them into smaller fleets. And Hawker are already an expensive fleet to field.

Hope that explains what I was trying to get across, and thank you for spotting my mistake!

Ah, okay - that makes sense. However, coincidentally enough, it turns out there is a Kurak document update! When you look at the Downloads page it says Nov 2015, but when you mouseover the link it says May 2016. I haven't gone through it yet to see what's changed, but Spartan might need to change the date on the Downloads page.

There are options in the Xelocian fleet itself for SRS support. The Kindartu can get +3 wings, which is enough for a small bomber strike, or interceptors and support shuttles. The Hulaka Dreadnought should probably be reclassified as a Dreadnought Carrier, it can get +4 wings, which is enough for a full strike SRS token or a wall of interceptors, or a mix of interceptors and support shuttles. The Hulaka is very expensive though, same cost as a tooled up Shautrai +2 Hokita Battle Carrier squadron at 405pts. I've found that a Hulaka running +1SH, +1MV, +4 Wings, Corrosive/Split Fire Beams, 6 Fighters and 2 Interceptors is a decent line breaker and all round tank of a ship. Certainly helps my Terrans out in the occasional Grand Fleet sized game.