Charbe86

Models for tabletop simulator

This is both a suggestion and a request to spartan.  It would be great to see an official dlc pack for tabletop simulator.  Not only would it be great for people like me who want to play long distance, but it could be a good way to get new players into the hobby, and a little extra income for spartan.  

It's an interesting suggestion. I think Spartan is pretty flat out at the moment, however, and that for the foreseeable future they will likely be putting a lot of effort into making sure all their games get their updates. Do you have any experience 3D modelling? Would love to see what you can make for it!

I have no experience or skill in the area, which is one of the reasons I'd like an official dlc.  I also suggested this because I'm told the 3D models have already been produced as part of Spartans production process. 

Hi Charbe, thanks for the suggestion. We think this is a really cool idea, but as a company this isn't where our focus is, and we don't have the resources to do this. Maybe one to think about for the future!

They actually do have every resource needed. As part of the production process they create 3D models for their production lines; so theoretically every DW model does have a accompanying 3D model they can quite easily have prepared for integration into Tabletop Simulator or any other graphical engine with a little more work. 

By "not having the resources" Beth actually means they can, but don't see any money in doing it; As they DO have the resources. 

That's what I thought, but those models would have to be modified before being released to the public.  At the very least some sort of "pixelation" to prevent copying by anyone with a 3D printer, so I can see that more resources might be required than would be profitable.

On 17 September 2016 at 3:59 PM, Necroscourge said:

They actually do have every resource needed. As part of the production process they create 3D models for their production lines; so theoretically every DW model does have a accompanying 3D model they can quite easily have prepared for integration into Tabletop Simulator or any other graphical engine with a little more work. 

By "not having the resources" Beth actually means they can, but don't see any money in doing it; As they DO have the resources. 

The type of model needed for 3D printing is vastly different to one suitable to be loaded into a 3D engine. I highly doubt they have the resources needed, I suspect it would cost tens of thousands to get a single Spartan system ready for a 3D engine.

This doesn't even take it account the fact that there would likely be multiple complaints regarding 'laziness' if they were not textured.

@Necroscourge Please don't put words into my mouth :) When I said that we don't have the resources, that is absolutely what I meant. Not only do we not create the models in the correct software needed for conversion to computer simulation, we do not have the staff or the time available to invest in this process, as it's not our main focus and our staff are kept very much occupied on other projects. More or less as Mr.K and Charbe86 have explained. :)