Wolfchild

Prometheus turret LOS

Am I right in thinking that the Prometheus can only link 3 turrets to P/S but not front or rear?

Essentially I need so muscle in my fleet, something that can take it AND dish it. So far I'm thinking Prometheus, but Coeus and other options are still lurking. Thoughts?

Prometheus can link 3 main turrets to port or starboard.

Depending on the angle and size of the enemy ship, it is also fairly easy to link 1 main turret, the fore bombard and a side turret (only one though) together to shoot forward. (Fore main turret is easy, the bombard fixed channel just needs to have both sides of its channel intersect the enemy and the side turret must have the centre point and one end of the enemy in its arc of fire.)

To the rear, you can get 2 turrets to link.

The Prometheus dishes out lots of hurt in all directions, the Coeus... is special. For single target firepower, the best we have is an energy Aristotle with Kepler but for all out brawling, the Prometheus is king!

Thanks Thamoz,

thats what I thought, but just wanted to double check b4 I buy one. Now it's just down to wether I can justify the box vs individual buy... But that's my problem :)

cheers

Against some fleets with exceptionally "fat" models, the Prometheus can get the bombard and 3 turrets in.

In the current edition, the "key points" are fore/mid/aft, so if you're directly in front of, or directly behind a model, you can see all 3 of these (a ship cannot block line of sight to itself). This means that any model wider than the Prometheus can be easily within arc, even if the same model, side-on, would not normally be in full arc.

20 minutes ago, Nazduruk_Bugzappa said:

Against some fleets with exceptionally "fat" models, the Prometheus can get the bombard and 3 turrets in.

In the current edition, the "key points" are fore/mid/aft, so if you're directly in front of, or directly behind a model, you can see all 3 of these (a ship cannot block line of sight to itself). This means that any model wider than the Prometheus can be easily within arc, even if the same model, side-on, would not normally be in full arc.

If one beam turret is in arc (seeing both mid point and 1 end point of a vessel) with its 180 arc, then due to the width of the Prometheus, the other beam turret will never have LOS to the same target as it can only 1 end point at best. The other vessel's midpoint would land between the 2beam turrets' LOS. 

Tho, 1 beam, fore and bombard is possible. .... Unless you are suggesting that the mid "point" is actually a band upto and including the distance between the 2 beam turrets??!

47 minutes ago, Wolfchild said:

If one beam turret is in arc (seeing both mid point and 1 end point of a vessel) with its 180 arc, then due to the width of the Prometheus, the other beam turret will never have LOS to the same target as it can only 1 end point at best. The other vessel's midpoint would land between the 2beam turrets' LOS. 

Tho, 1 beam, fore and bombard is possible. .... Unless you are suggesting that the mid "point" is actually a band upto and including the distance between the 2 beam turrets??!

As there are no port/mid/starboard "key points" on a model, then there are only two possibilities for the fore/mid/aft "key points"

1- they are only along the centreline of the model

2- each "key point" goes from edge to edge of the model

If the first is true, then you cannot get correct lines of sight for the fixed weapon and the beam weapon on most models' fore/aft arcs, unless they are wider than 3".

If the second is true, models wider than 1.5" can be affected by a fixed and a beam weapon, and models need to be a lot wider than that for a fixed and both beams to get in.

For a target being side-on, you can never get both beam turrets (of any nation) onto a target.

Because the width of the Prometheus is 1.5" if you want to get more than 2 weapons on a target (that is less than 3" long/wide) you're better off going broadside, and using the 3 turrets.

The end points and mid points of a model are clearly defined in the rules, yet obviously not modelled onto each vessel.

It appears we're arguing but saying largely the same thing Nazduruk_Bugzappa, so I'm just gonna let this lie.