WestAustralian

Help - Straightening Resin Base

Hi all

I know the basics of heating Resin Parts, bending, then cooling to set a new position 

I have a Dindrenzi Kratos base that looked like a skateboard half pipe. I have worked it to a flatter position, but it's still not perfect. Any advice on how to get it perfectly flat? I tried pressing it to a flat surface by hand, but the corners still curled.

thanks.

WA

Heat it then hold it down with a weight of some kind? Maybe a frame or couple of pieces of thin wood with a book on top? (Trying to avoid breaking the tag that the tank goes onto, otherwise I would just recommend putting a heavy book on top of it for an hour or so) .

That said, I agree that those thin bases are a PITA...

Worst case, if you can't fix it and have given it a solid effort, don't hesitate to contact Spartan Lizzie, she'll happily replace your base (accidental rhyming. Oh well, now I feel the compulsion to continue): she's ace and presents a friendly Spartan face. Her positives include: not cheating in a race, or clubbing you with a mace, or procrastinating on your case.

You can let it cool slowly, no need for instant cold (at least that has been my experience with resin. Also, plastics and resins adopt a conformation that makes them 'happy' and it will usually want to revert to that structure after being heated when it is cooling; it's best to over correct it so that when it does cool and go towards what it was, it gets closer to 'normal'.

For instance, if you want _ but you have ^ you need to heat it gently to a shape past _ and into mild v territory so that when it goes back to ^, it straightens out close to flat. A curved surface like a rolling pin can be of use, plus a heatgun

And that's a fair concern, but always something you could mention :)