Sign in to follow this  
Romulas

RSN Tactica?

hi All,

bought in a while ago with RSN before the nice new boxes and finally got a training game in. took a turn or two to get a feel for it but is there a tactica for the RSN (do's/don'ts or roles for each ship) that can give a little heads up? took a look at the monster pinned thread and 65 pages is a bit much with subjects going at random.....

thanks in advance,

Rom

I'm not aware of anything like this existing.  I suppose I could give it a shot at some point...  The RSN are tricky, because each squadron is specialized in a different way,  so it can be difficult to mesh them as a fleet.

I think though that the RSN are relatively good in most fields so can generally played how you want them.

They have the decent range from their kinetics and torpedo spooks for softening things up on the way in. I would however not recommend putting too much faith in spook to get through interceptor piles, it will allow you to get those hits on that 4 ship squadron of cruisers you would otherwise have ignored.

They also have fairly decent close-short range beams on their heavies and their standard cruisers. But be prepared to have your cruisers take a beating the moment they decloak. The 16 dice (or 3*8) from the unit is really nice, but they can't handle return fire. Try and focus them on something that has already been softened up. Leave the brawling to your own big tough ships.

I really love the destroyers, they took a while to find their place in my list, but they have some of the best long range fire in the game (that isn't fixed fore) again, use them to soften stuff up for before your cruisers arrive at their sweet spot.

Just a couple of really general thoughts there, I am sure there are better tactical minds that can add lotd to it.

Just my two cents. The RSN have a lot of ships that work well with each other, and just about every tier 1 or2 ship class can hold their own. You need to control the battlefield for that to happen though. Your spook cruisers need to be just out of 20", your dread needs to be in its optimum rangeband and drawing attention to itself, your carrier needs to be setup near the front behind an asteroid, etc. 

To to do that you need to take hits on your list for frigates. It's imperative that you try to fill out enough of them that you can make an advance push and deny space while your heavy hitters maintain good positions. The RSN don't field a ton of ships at once so the areas you take up are either luring your enemy out into empty space or making any cover a lot less appetizing,pulling them out into a better position for those torpedoes and railguns to chew apart enemy capitals. 

I've only done one game at 1000pts but using a carrier as my admiral ship and a battleship with the movement and turn MARs, my battleship and frigates ended up chasing ancillary units around for half the match. Meanwhile my cruiser squadrons were the stars of the show and everything that entered that side of the board got hurt. I lucked out on how my opponent decided to deploy and shunt his Directorate, but even interrupting his original plan with that battleship and frigate brigade cinched me that victory.

Sorry for the double post but I knew there was a really well written blog covering most of the available RSN ships and I found it. Here ya go! Starting on frigates and working their way up. This was an invaluable guide for learning how to select and equip my Tier 1 choices.

http://thewaygate.blogspot.ca/2014/03/all-hands-on-deck-ships-of-rense-pt1.html