Jump to content
azrael

Torpedo and light cruiser

Recommended Posts

The reinforcement fleet is about all I am missing at the moment for my terran fleet (well that and the invasion fleet)

These two ships got quite a bit of heat during the playtesting phase after release so after they have been out for a while and walked around the block a couple of times I am wondering what your thoughts / experience with these ships are ? Do you find them auto include ? What's your favourite loadout ? Are people still screaming OP ? 

I still love the adaptability of the teuton but think it can get expensive quickly 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've proxied the Light Cruisers and love them at Battle Fleet level as a Tier 3. Worth it!

I haven't played a full squadron of Torpedo Cruisers yet, but I have been proxy as a Battle cruiser accompaniment at Patrol Fleet levels with the nuke and Spook hardpoint/upgrade combo a Harpoon synergizes tight with the Marshall.

A Reinforcement box has been bumped to the top of the must have list.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've not played as or against the light cruisers, but with how good I view the missionaries and to a lesser extent the armsmen, I'm not near as interested in them.  I never have an issue taking extra t3s as terran, they're worth it in general. 

The torpedo cruisers have been effective in every game on my side or the enemy side. They aren't "auto add" to every list, but if it works out well in points, they're a very good option imo. They are moderately pricey, but decently durable for what you're paying. I'm a fan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hadn't thought of using the light cruisers as tier 3 in battle fleet level 

That could be interesting and could cost less points than armsmen ..... Hhmmmm

Torpedo cruiser with marshalls - yes I see the synergy and as I hate lone battlecruisers I might need to give this a try some time too.

Thanks for the replies :-) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Upgrading one of the light cruisers to a cruiser seems like a solid way to run the LC squadron.  You pickup better fire to link off of, another HP, and a small boost to PD.  You'll want to upgrade the movement on the normal cruiser, though, it seems to keep the squad mobile, and you'll want the beam upgrade to keep everything with the same weapon type.  

The torp cruisers seem good, but they trade direct firepower for better torps.  If your opponent is running lots of PD, you may actually be better off with normal cruisers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Endgame said:

Upgrading one of the light cruisers to a cruiser seems like a solid way to run the LC squadron.  You pickup better fire to link off of, another HP, and a small boost to PD.  You'll want to upgrade the movement on the normal cruiser, though, it seems to keep the squad mobile, and you'll want the beam upgrade to keep everything with the same weapon type.  

The torp cruisers seem good, but they trade direct firepower for better torps.  If your opponent is running lots of PD, you may actually be better off with normal cruisers.

Bumping up to a regular cruiser means losing two things: 1) that delicious Range Band 3 damage and 2) that delicious speed advantage. My Perseus units are the high-speed cavalry of the force; they can't be bogged down by a Teuton and still do their job.

As for the Harpoon, the option for Spook mitigates a lot of PD spam by the enemy team and their turret option is quite decent at giving them flexibility. That said, I usually fight against Works Raptor and normal cruisers do much better. Flavor to taste.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Perseus light cruisers running Weapon Shielding and Turrets are probably among my favourite Terran squadrons right now. They're fast, moderately durable, and able to handle most situations. Wayfarers I've found to be a decent corvette option for the Terran fleet. 

Haven't tried a Perseus/Teuton squadron, but I think Anulovlos' observations are correct, putting a Teuton in the squadron loses you quite a bit of speed and it doesn't mesh well with Perseus running turrets. Same as a Hauberk in a Teuton squadron, there are too many compromises to make it actually worthwhile doing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/28/2016 at 6:18 PM, DanSG-19 said:

 

On 8/28/2016 at 6:18 PM, DanSG-19 said:

Perseus light cruisers running Weapon Shielding and Turrets are probably among my favourite Terran squadrons right now. They're fast, moderately durable, and able to handle most situations. Wayfarers I've found to be a decent corvette option for the Terran fleet. 

Haven't tried a Perseus/Teuton squadron, but I think Anulovlos' observations are correct, putting a Teuton in the squadron loses you quite a bit of speed and it doesn't mesh well with Perseus running turrets. Same as a Hauberk in a Teuton squadron, there are too many compromises to make it actually worthwhile doing. 

So nobody upgrades their Teutons? + Speed and Beams makes the squad nearly identical in terms of RB3 firepower and speed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

it could work, the biggest issue I see is points, if you take the perseus with turrets, you can run them for 40 points, to up the teuton's speed and beams, you have a ship with fairly comparable durability and firepower, (slightly more resilient less speed, and adaptability with range bands) but it costs 60 points, and though its only 20 extra points for the squad, they may be better used on other upgrades. if you have the points for it, it doesn't seem like a bad idea, but in my opinion, there are probably better ones.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You also pickup extra linked fire if you manage to swing two arcs with the upgraded light cruiser squadron.   

2 arcs, all Lt Cruisers, presuming I'm doing the math correctly.  Turrets linked into S/P, all at RB 2.

S/P: 12AD
Fore: 6AD
Torp: 8AD

Upgraded squad with Normal Cruiser w/ Speed and Beams:
S/P: 13 AD
Fore: 9 AD
Torp: 9 AD

If you go shields instead of turrets, though, I think you really want to stick with all Lt. Cruisers.  If you can arrange the correct arcs, you'll end up with reinforced Fore + 3 shields to the fore that save on 3+.  That should make for a tough little squad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, N2OJoe said:

So nobody upgrades their Teutons? + Speed and Beams makes the squad nearly identical in terms of RB3 firepower and speed.

I never run +2MV on Teutons. It seriously isn't worth it, at all. Especially when you consider that the Perseus has better armour on the front than a Teuton. Making the CA easier to blow up from a double critical hit than the CL... 

 

Here's a thought, move the +2MV hardpoint to upgrades, give the Teuton an option in hardpoints for Reinforced Fore. Then I'll consider a mixed Perseus/Teuton squadron. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.